Hey.

If I am playing Chords in C, like Cmaj Dmaj and Emaj., can I start playing like Am and Em out of nowhere and it will sound good? I dont mean those specific chords, but like going from major to relative minor is okay?
ehhhhh, it'd be hard but yeah you could do it. unless you wanted it to sound kind of off then it would be incredibly easy.
Dmaj and Emaj aren't in the key of C - on the other hand, Am and Em are.

I suggest you learn the chords for each major scale..
..Expain. You have C major, and then D would be the major second, so there could be a D Major second used in chord construction of that?
^Okay... so, the chord formula for every major key follows a pattern.
I - ii - iii - IV - V - vi - vii°

Uppercase numerals being a major chord, lowercase numerals being a minor chord, and ° meaning diminished.

Using that pattern, let's take the C Major scale and give it it's chords.

I - C - C Major.
ii - D - D Minor.
iii - E - E minor.
IV - F - F Major.
V - G - G Major.
vi - A - A Minor.
vii° - B - B Diminished.

Well what do you know... D Major and E Major aren't in the key of C Major.
..Expain. You have C major, and then D would be the major second, so there could be a D Major second used in chord construction of that?

You'd have to use Dm and Em instead of their major counterparts. Since there are no accidentals in the key of C, and there's 1 sharp in Dmaj and 1 sharp in Emaj and 1 sharp in Amaj, you would have to make them all minor to fit into the key of C.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Johnljones7443
^No, Dmaj and Emaj are not in the key of C.

How can it not be in the key of C? just because D & E aren't the sub-dominant, dominant or relative minor doesn't mean they can't be in the key of C.
Don't argue about it, there's been given a link and an explanation about why it is.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
How can it not be in the key of C? just because D & E aren't the sub-dominant, dominant or relative minor doesn't mean they can't be in the key of C.

Because both contain notes that aren't in the key of C. Because of that, the whole chord is not in the key of C. For a chord to be in a certain key, it has to conform to the specific notes of that scale.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

Quote by facesofhope

How about we make this educational....You answer your own question, seriously!

Tell me the notes in the key of C, then tell me the notes in the D Major and E Major chords. Then, tell me what alterations you need to make to make them fit into C. For bonus marks, name these final chords.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Quote by facesofhope
Holy **** you ****s are so ****ing dumb

The key of C has these notes

C D E F G A B

The D major chord has these notes

D F# A

THERE IS NO F# IN THE KEY OF C

The E major chord has these notes

E G# B

THERE IS NO G# IN THE KEY OF C!!

That's all I wanted you to do!

And finally, for bonus marks, you could say if you flatten the third of the D major chord to F to make it D minor, it would fit in the key of C, since D F and A are all in C. Same goes for the E major chord - Flat the third.

are you telling me you've never seen a d major or e major chord in the key of c?
Last edited by facesofhope at Sep 2, 2006,
Not without using accidentals. Not without changing the notes in the key. They are not chords in the key of C. Of course I have seen them played when the tonal centre was C, I've seen F#major chords be played in that situation.

The point is, using the notes from C, you can not make a Dmaj or Emaj.

You technically could play E maj and Dmaj in that key, it just wouldnt sound right due to the sharps. The scale pattern that john posted helps a lot.
DO YOU NOT GET IT.

THE CHORDS ARE NOT IN THE KEY OF C.

If you want be correct theory-wise, then you are wrong.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

There is no rule that you can't use those chords. Yes it is part of the key of C to not use the E maj and such, but there is no rule that you can't.

Music is music, and the sky is the limit. That's how i write songs.
Quote by facesofhope
Holy **** you ****s are so ****ing dumb

wow your a moron

C major
cdefgab

D major D a F#

where the **** is there an F# in the key of c major???????????
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by Ascendancy5
There is no rule that you can't use those chords. Yes it is part of the key of C to not use the E maj and such, but there is no rule that you can't.

yeah but he's saying its in the key of C major

which it is not.
You can use them, but its not in that key.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by Ascendancy5

Yes, I know. I know VERY well. It's not an arguement as to whether or not you can use the chords or not though. I am saying those chords are not in the key of C major, because they are not!

You can not argue that.

At Ace88. Cool, Ontario. I live about 2 hours from you in a place called Belleville.

Just wanted to say that I'm fully agreeing with nightwind.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
babe im gonna leave you - led zeppelin

uses e in the key of c sounds great. that's the last thing im gonna say otherwise this could go on forever
Quote by facesofhope
babe im gonna leave you - led zeppelin

uses e in the key of c sounds great. that's the last thing im gonna say otherwise this could go on forever

You can use whatever chord you want in whatever key. But some chords just aren't in some keys... Such as Emaj in the key of C.

God damn you are retarded.
Carpe diem; Seize the day.

Just be.

Scales are notes, not shapes, boxes, or patterns.
No, uses E major with a tonal center of E. Key would imply that the whole G# in the E chord is a G because G# is not in the key of C.

People can casually say "in the key of C" about that because C is the tonal center and most would write the key signature of C and just sharp the one note, but, see,
you're wrong.
Because E major is NEVER in the key of C.

Sure, it can be used in songs that are mostly in the key of C. Sure it can modulate easily to it if you know how to. Sure you can use it in with a song that's in C major.

But it is not in the key factually.

I love to use the quote unquote "wrong" chords, out of key chords, they prevent things from getting stale.
However this does not make the E chord of C a major one.

E major is not in the key of C. Period. This couldn't go on forever, because the truth is, E major is not in C, and only people who say "but what about this" disagree. And eventually, hopefully, heavens, they see this and understand that no, the E chord is not in the key of C.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
man you're going too hard out on the theory side of things.

if you're just strumming along and you go from c to d who cares...if that's the sound you want and you know how to get it then use it.
^ The question was: "Is E Major in the key of C."

The answer is: "No."

Yes, you can play it as if it were in the key of C, but it's technically not.

So shut up.
You guys shut up we get the point. the D maj and E Maj chords arent in the key of C. They can be used, but aren't in the key. end of thread. Leave this alone now.
Jesus christ, all i was saying is that if you want to be correct in terms of theory, and strictly theory alone, then you may not use the major E or D!

At Ace88. Cool, Ontario. I live about 2 hours from you in a place called Belleville.

I've been there a couple times. It's not 2 hours away though. My sister lives near you i think, in Stratford.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

Speaking of a Ab/G# in the key of C......

I love having a G b9 chord to resolve to the C chord.

@Ace - Ahh, well you are close enough to Toronto to call it two hours away

No, Ascendancy. Listen to nightwind.. you canNOT play "Emaj and Dmaj in that key". The key is C major.. C D E F G A B. If you were playing in that key, you could not construct those two chords. So you could play them, but they would NOT be in the key. Take advantage of people like nightwind who have good information and don't argue with them when it just makes you look uninformed.
Gear List:
Jackson DKMG Dinky Cobalt-Blue
Washburn EA8B Cutaway
Line 6 Spider II 112
Jekyll & Hyde Overdrive/Distortion Pedal
Boss RC20-XL Looper Station
Quote by facesofhope
man you're going too hard out on the theory side of things.

if you're just strumming along and you go from c to d who cares...if that's the sound you want and you know how to get it then use it.

No one said you couldn't use it. We just said it isn't in the key of C (which it isn't).