so i figured out that selling my ad50vt in brazil, i could get enough money to buy a nice tube amp in canada, so ive been looking at amps (didnt try out any yet, since i cant find them in brazil) that are great for metal and have decent cleans (worst case i would get a cheap chorus pedal to work that out), what i mostly play, so the ****ers ive enlisted as possibilities so far are:

peavey xxx - (i can get a new one at canada for almost the same amount im gonna be selling my vox)

peavey 6505 (II) - more expensive, but i guess i could find a good deal on ebay or something

genz benz el diablo - out of my price range, thou ive seen some cheap ones on ebay, so im gonna check tehm out

problem im having so far is getting a combo, the good prices ive found are just heads, except the peavey xxx which i could get a combo for a nice price, so anyway, i need peoples opinion on the amps for my style (varied metal, metallica to nile), im gonna wait till i go to canada in december for trying them out if i cant check one out here, also, how reliable is ebay, cause im affraid of gettting a ****ed up amp
XXX all the way
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
6505 all the way. It's a beast of a metal amp.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
All I am going to say, if I had the money to get the amp I've been wanting, I'd have a Mesa Mark IV... I'd probably be playing through it right now.

But, out of the amps you listed, they are all very good, the XXX is pretty compressed, but still a kick ass metal amp. The XXX is basically Peavey's own Mesa amp, everything from looks down to the sound, in a way.
All those amps sound very different. Also check around eBay for used Recto of some kind. Two-channel probably.

Anyways, the XXX is a little bright for me...and I agree with everyone about them being sterile (really got to play one again for the first time in a long time. ). But they do have tons of pre-amp gain.

The 6505 is one of my personal favs. I cant say enpough good things about them!

El Diablos are pretty cool. Didnt get to really crank it but it didnt have too bad of sound. Pretty unique.

Is there any way for you to try any of these?
I dont know, but all I know is

Argentina will own Brazil this Sunday in their international friendly
Quote by It'sForTheBest
Those cameras are really cool. I'm watching a parking lot right now.

Quote by SynGates7X
alright, you need to tell me how you get the shits to come out
I'm on the same boat... but I'm going for a Genz Benz.

AC/zeppelin/DC, STFU, i lived in Brazil for a while.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
^+1 that is a pretty kickass rig man.

Pics and/or clips of that Krank would be great, I haven't seen too many clips around at all.

TS, my vote is the 5150/6505 if you can get a good deal. They are great metal amps. The only downside is the cleans aren't acceptable for some people, even with a chorus. I wasn't interested in the cleans when I checked one out, so I'm not much help there. They sounded servicable to me, but meh.

The GB sounds like a great amp too however. Crunchmeister has clips of his GB, and they sounded excellent, I was very impressed. He changed the tubes in it to a better brand than stock, and it really woke up. He's a nice guy, I've pm'd him for clips and recording advice before, and he was very cool about it, I'm sure he would help you out.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by AC/zeppelin/DC
I dont know, but all I know is

Argentina will own Brazil this Sunday in their international friendly

LMAO. Was this funny to anyone else?
thanks so far everyone, main problem is i cant seem to find these amps for trying out here in brazil, but i will try to find it somewhere for trying it out, on the topic of the amps

peavey xxx - i would gladly chose this guy, only problem is about its divided my peoples opinion, some say its sterile and others say its great, but i guess im gonna have to try it out

6505 (II) - this would be my main choice, only thing is its more expensive and i couldnt aford a combo, but i might get a used somwhere if i see a combo, as for cleans and rock tones for it, i would get a cheap chorus and overdrive to even that out

genz benz - i made a mistake, the prices i saw were on american ebay, so its outta my price range, i guess ill try it out anyway

mesa boogie - same thing of out of price range and only being head, ill check it out thou

anyway, im probably gonna get te amp used on ebay or somewhere else, but im wondering, what has to be n good condition for it to work perfectly exlcluding the tubes
Quote by Alexander_BR

anyway, im probably gonna get te amp used on ebay or somewhere else, but im wondering, what has to be n good condition for it to work perfectly exlcluding the tubes

Make sure that all the output jacks work properly, that the pots arent dirty and dont make a 'scratch' noise wheny ou turn them, obvious cosmetic damage, fuses...etc. lol
Quote by Alexander_BR

Depends how old it is. If it's nearing like the 20 yr mark, it's good to ask if it has the 60 cycle hum, or if the filter caps had been changed already. The electrolytics dry up after a point, but I'm not sure how long they will last. Want to make sure the transformer is good, but that usually either works or doesn't. If it's a combo amp, you want to make sure the speaker is still good. Other than that it's tubes really. That's the great thing about tube amps. Instead of just being "tired" sounding when they get old, like SS, they can sound like a new amp again with new tubes, and then they are "vintage".
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
the problem is, i cant see if it is under those requisitions on ebay, and the guy can lie saying its mint condition, but i guess its a risk i have to take
well, that's where carefully checking their feedback comes into play. Check to see how old their account is, and look carefully at their rating. If they have a huge volume of stuff they sell, it's normal to have a couple negative, you just can't please everyone. However, if they are a new account, even with a good rating, I usually start digging thru their feedback, looking at what they sold, to who, and the cash value that exchanged hands. If they've had a lot of big ticket stuff with positive results, I usually feel a lot better about it. Also, paypal has some protection, like $1000 I think if you use their service. You might have to wait for the cash if you got ripped, but at least there is a good chance of getting it back eventually. Credit Cards usually have some form of protection also, so that's an option thru paypal or directly also. I would confirm first with the CC company what protections you had however. Usually feedback tells the whole story about a seller if you look very carefully.

BTW, when checking the rating, make sure to see that they've sold some stuff, and it isn't all just buying little items that makes it high.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Aug 30, 2006,
thanks alot Erock503, i feel a bit more relieved about all that (never bought stuff on ebay), but could someone also put some other metal tube amps, just so i can compare
Have you tried using the search facility on this site? Theres loads of past threads which could answer your question.
Hamer USA Chapparal Custom, scalloped fretboard & Sustainiac
Hamer USA Chapparal Elite, Dragon Snakeskin finish
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Mesa 50/50 Stereo Power Amp
Laney 4x12 Cab
I think you've got most of the good ones in that pricerange. Maybe a used DSL/TSL or JCM are worth a look too. I think the Mesa F series and Nomad combos might be around that used too on the bay. It's really all preference. I would still check out the XXX if you can too, I prefer the 5150 over it, but that's personal opinion. gpderek09 has one, and he really likes it. I know he has soundclips too, you should pm him.

rockers73 has a point too, there are a lot I don't know about I'm sure, there are probaby some good threads on it.
amp clips
amp vids