Okay, I only use one effect. That is distortion. All I have is a first act pedal (relax, I got it for 3 bucks. They sell for 30) Is there anything I can do (besides throw it out a window and never see it again) for it? I wanna make it sound distorted but not as harsh. I mean simple mods like changing a capacitor (did I spell that right?) or something. Maybe re wiring a few parts. It has three knobs; Level, tone, and drive.

Also, would it be possible to turn a distortion pedal into an overdrive pedal?
Its not that great. First act makes everything guitar related. Amps, mini amps, effects, cables, guitars,picks. All kinds of stuff. Really low quality though.
First Act makes picks? I can see that working out something like this...

*strum**snap* OH GOD, MY EYE!
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
why not build a whole new pedal in there? if your prepared to change a few components, why not go the whole shibang?
Quote by Will_Minus
First Act makes picks? I can see that working out something like this...

*strum**snap* OH GOD, MY EYE!

I figured I could use the stuff in there.

btw: I've never used the picks but I imagine that you're about right.
Quote by MyImmortal

for the record, it was the pick that snapped, not the string
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
you can do if your happy with the sound, but your not going to be able to change the sound completely otherwise (though you can change it dramatically)
Well, I would have to know if the distortion is based on a IC Chip/OP Amp, Diodes, or Transistors to tell you how to get it into an overdrive. Msybe you can open it and take a picture that is visable so I can help.
I just want to clean up the distortion a little bit (wow, never thought I'd use those two words in one sentence). The adjustment pots arent doing much, its either unaudibly distorted or it has no power.
i dont think mods will help you much... it is a cheap pedal

why dont you buy a new one for cheap?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Danelectro-D2-Fab-Overdrive?sku=151848&src=3SOSWXXA
Fender Mex Cyclone HH
**ZOOM G7.1ut**
Yamaha COD-100 Overdrive
Big Muff Pi USA
Danelectro Chorus
Behringer EQ
Dinosaur Heavy Metal

member #4 of the "can't we forget about punk, emo, metal, and all the other subgenres and just ROCK?" group
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
Well, I would have to know if the distortion is based on a IC Chip/OP Amp, Diodes, or Transistors to tell you how to get it into an overdrive. Msybe you can open it and take a picture that is visable so I can help.

^--LOOK. Get me pictures so I can see what kind of distortion it is. Then I can help you.
Ok. This is mostly distorted based on the IC Chips. Theres also diodes helping it. So heres an idea...

You can do a few things.

1. You see those 2 chips there that say 4558. Well you can do something called IC Stacking. This changes the sound a bit. Heres how: http://www.barberelectronics.com/parallelopamps.htm . You just solder another of the same chip ontop of the original one (make sure its facing the same way). Heres the chips you need: http://www.barberelectronics.com/parallelopamps.htm . Thats a pack of 3 so you can just put one on each of the 2 chips.

2. Tell me what the diodes on the board say on them. The diodes are those clearish orange and black parts. http://www.bealecorner.com/trv900/bnotes/close/diode.jpg . Thats a diode. Tell me what the writing on them say (They all may be different). Some things they may say are 1N914, 1N4148, 1N34, etc.
hmmmn, i think the problem may be the chips, but look at changing some of the diodes, a schem may help some of the more guru-ish people on here, whats the pedals full name?

EDIT: Damn, beat me to it
Last edited by thesumoftwo at Aug 30, 2006,
I dont see any writing on them. It looks like a wire wraped in clear orange plastic with black strips. Exactly the same as the link. I didnt see a # on that one either.
Hmm. Cant help you there, but do the IC stacking I told you about. Also, tell me what those transistors say on them. The transistors are 2 black things in the top left corner that have a flat side and a round side.
it says K30a on the transistors? hmm cant help you with those.

but order those ICs and stack them. that will change the sound. i actually tried this on my BluesBreaker yesterday and the sound changed dramatically.