Okay, there are a lot of topics on this site, so I'm not sure which one to put this under. So, Moderators, Administrators, move this if it's in the wrong section.

I'll split this post into a few parts...

Part I:

If you've heard the band Opeth, a Swedish Black Metal band, maybe you can help me here. On the song "Hours of Wealth" on the CD "Ghost Reveries" Michael Akerfeldt does a beautiful solo. I was curious which effect he was using and if his guitar has a whammy bar or what exactly he plays with.

Part II:

I'm a bass player, and an acoustic guitar player, I was considering picking up an electric guitar, an amp, and the aforementioned effect and hoping to not spend more than $600. I'm not in a band anymore, so I don't need a huge, lavish set up. I just want a guitar, it can be any price within the aforementioned ranged, that sounds good and is durable. I tend to drop stuff a lot...My bass has taken a beating. Heck, I've even hit myself in the face with it on stage. A nice bloody nose ensued. But anyway, any suggestion would be nice for a good electric amp and guitar.

Part III:

Whichever effect Michael Akerfeldt uses, I'd like a good brand of that effect. I'd appreciate all input.

Regards,
SOADRox
I take it you'll play mostly metal with the electric..so:

Roland Cube 30 Watt

The 30 watt should be plenty loud for bedroom playing....

If you want a more versatile amp (not so metalish sound, but IMO a better sound):

Vox AD30VT

This leaves you with approximately $350 for a guitar and that effect..I have no idea what effect he uses, so here's my suggestion for a guitar:

Jackson JS30
Schecter Omen 6
Epiphone Vintage G-400

I'm not an expert at guitars in that price range..it's simply from what I've heard and on rare occasions seen.
~The Gear~
Schecter Hellraiser
Ibanez RG 550
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960 4x12
VHT Two/Fifty/Two
ADA-MP1
Eventide Eclipse
i'd definatly go for the Cube 30, especally for the sound of that band

and guitar, jackson..ibanez..schecter, sorry i dont really know much on individual models but check out some of those brands
Well, I really left out a huge portion of information, and for that I apologize.

I play anything from BB King, to Clutch, to Slipknot, to Rammstein, to Opeth, to System of a Down, to Pink Floyd and King Crimson. So my playing style is varied, and I don't need anything that'll turn me deaf, just...Hard of hearing would be nice.
Quote by TheAmishOne
I take it you'll play mostly metal with the electric..so:

Roland Cube 30 Watt

The 30 watt should be plenty loud for bedroom playing....

If you want a more versatile amp (not so metalish sound, but IMO a better sound):

Vox AD30VT

This leaves you with approximately $350 for a guitar and that effect..I have no idea what effect he uses, so here's my suggestion for a guitar:

Jackson JS30
Schecter Omen 6
Epiphone Vintage G-400

I'm not an expert at guitars in that price range..it's simply from what I've heard and on rare occasions seen.

(Sorry for two posts in a row)

I like the way that Cube looks. Have you (or anyone) had experience with it?

And, I'm willing to spend about $650 - $700 if that be the case. I don't want a hunk of junk guitar, with a killer amp and effect. I'm just trying to work off of very little money, considering at the moment I'm out of work...

EDIT: While the look of a guitar doesn't have anything to do with the performance, I do like to have a guitar that's easy on the eye. That Jackson looks...Well, not too pretty to me. The last two are nice, the last being my favorite. But what's the sound quality of those two overall?
Last edited by SOADRox at Aug 29, 2006,
If I were you I'd go VOX amp if you play that variety of stuff....

Guitar wise I'd go Schechter.....I have heard good things about them...and I've heard a few in person (not sure what model though)

but the vox is amazing...I prefer it over the cube.. But the cube is better for a harder rock/metal.
~The Gear~
Schecter Hellraiser
Ibanez RG 550
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960 4x12
VHT Two/Fifty/Two
ADA-MP1
Eventide Eclipse
A Cube and an RG321MH

or a Dean Evo if you want some money leftover (for effects and such)
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by SOADRox
(Sorry for two posts in a row)

I like the way that Cube looks. Have you (or anyone) had experience with it?

And, I'm willing to spend about $650 - $700 if that be the case. I don't want a hunk of junk guitar, with a killer amp and effect. I'm just trying to work off of very little money, considering at the moment I'm out of work...

EDIT: While the look of a guitar doesn't have anything to do with the performance, I do like to have a guitar that's easy on the eye. That Jackson looks...Well, not too pretty to me. The last two are nice, the last being my favorite. But what's the sound quality of those two overall?

i have heard great things about the cube
Ibanez RG770DX /w Floyd Rose & Stock Pickups
Aria AK-80 Classical Concert Guitar
Boss DS-1
Boss TU-2
Electro-Harmonix Russian Big Muff Pi
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Heet Sound Ebow
Haha, I'm still at square one.

I've heard the Cube has a beautiful sound, but the VOX is versatile. Does the VOX amp have a good soung as well as versatility?

Also, I found that someone said Michael uses an overdriven guitar. Does overdrive give you a bluesy/jazzy sound? If so, what brands offer a good value, good quality, of an overdrive effect. I was looking at the Boss OverDrive Pedal

I like that Schecter, it's nice lookin' and has good ratings. Not too bad of a price, either.

My total possible spendings so far: $588.94
Last edited by SOADRox at Aug 29, 2006,
I dont see why the Cube isnt versatile. All the amp sims sound great on it...not just the Rectifier one. The Vox is the same way though...to me it just sounds like most people here are riding a bandwagon. The Cube60, with its presence control, is a very versatile amp.
Well, since the Cube is a bit cheaper, and it has beautiful sound (and at least middle of the road versatility) I'm going to go with that one. But what about an Overdrive pedal? That's basically the last remaining question.

This is the pedal OverDrive. I know someone said it gives you a bluesy/jazzy, but "overdrive" doesn't sound like it would give you that sound.

Thanks again for all of your guys' help.