Page 1 of 2
ok, i had originally planned on getting the hellraiser due to its great body and of course the emgs(more preferably the 81/85 combo). but i just cant seem to get esp's out of my head. i like alot of the esp body's, such as the xplorer mock-up, but the hardware never seems to match the poopy paint. esp's without emgs are somewhat cheaper than the hellraiser, but they dont have the emg's in them, which is what im looking for. so heres the dilemma, should i just go ahead and get the hellraiser, or possibly get a cheaper model esp (w/ or w/o emgs), and then have somebody put my own purchased emgs in, if in fact buying them is cheaper than getting them already in with the guitar.....
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
Schecter>ESP
Guitars:
Custom les paul copy with sun inlay
Epiphone les paul custom with emg 81/85
Hondo 80's star shape(project)
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
mxr doubleshot distortion
amp:
Raven rg100
yeah get the schecter, low end ESP's are crap
God am i devilishly good looking
i own both a Schecter (Hellraiser) and an ESP (EC-1000) and i honestly cant choose between them. they both have EMGs so thats a plus. the neck on the ESP is a little thinner and easier to play, but i believe the Schecter is a little lighter in the weight department.

both are VERY solid guitars and well worth the money.

i'll be that didnt help you out one bit, but i felt i should get that out there.
My Rig:

ESP EC-1000
Schecter Hellraiser
Gibson SG Special
Marshall AVT150 Full Stack
Boss Pedals
well you'd be better off gettin a hellraiser cuz if ur buyin ur own emgs theyre sumthin like 120$ or more
The 60s are gone, dope will never be as cheap, sex never as free, and the rock and roll never as great.
In the hella-low category: Schecter wins

In the mid category: It's preference

In the high-but-under-1k category: ESP wins

in the real high category: ESP wins no contest.
haha
If you're gonna get an ESP/LTD, don't settle for less than a 400 model. They are t3h suckzorian. But that goes to show with most brands of guitar anyway...
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

the reason i ask this is this, woulnt both sound the same soundwise if they both have the same pickups in them? the only thing that would really change is the looks(i vote for schecter paint & hardware, but esp body), and the neck. now being i have had a chance to try either of them, and that esps arent even sold at my guitar center, im kinda **** outta luck
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
Yeah... But the M-1000 is basically the same guitar...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by into the moat
ESP. higher end schecters r **** comapred to higher end ESPs

Yeah sure but high end ESPs cost $4000.

It might be more expensive to buy a guitar with passives and add EMGs to it because the wiring is different and the emgs themselves are pretty pricey, so it depends on what guitar you are talking about. I think most of the people saying schecter>esp or vice versa are just being biased based on what they have, so try them both out and weigh your prices and make your own decision.

I find this a bit interesting:

NECK-THRU-BODY CONSTRUCTION
? 25.5? SCALE
? MAHOGANY BODY W/QUILTED MAPLE TOP
? 3-PIECE MAPLE NECK
? EBONY FINGERBOARD
? OFFSET BLOCK INLAYS W/ESP AT 12TH FRET
? SEYMOUR DUNCAN JB (B) / 59 (N) PICKUPS
? VOLUME & TONE (W/PUSH-PUSH COIL TAP) CONTROLS W/3-WAY TOGGLE
? CHROME HARDWARE
? SPERZEL LOCKING TUNERS
? BONE NUT
? GOTOH TUNE-O-MATIC BRIDGE W/STRING-THRU-BODY
? WHITE BINDING ON BODY, NECK & HEADSTOCK
? 24 XJ FRETS

This is the stats for the ESP Standard Horizon, I think. Its listed at just over $2000. You might notice that it is almost exactly the same as the C1-Classic, but the Classic has Grover tuners and a Tonepro bridge, I believe. The Classic list price is $999 or something.. Of course there are other differences like the classic has no coil tap and different inlays and such.

Okay and now the ESP Custom Horizon

? NECK-THRU-BODY CONSTRUCTION
? 25.5? SCALE; MAHOGANY BODY W/QUILTED MAPLE TOP
? 3-PIECE MAPLE NECK
? EBONY FINGERBOARD
? PEARL OFFSET BLOCK INLAYS W/ESP AT 12TH FRET
? SEYMOUR DUNCAN JB/59 PICKUPS
? VOLUME & TONE CONTROLS W/3-WAY TOGGLE
? BLACK HARDWARE
? SPERZEL LOCKING TUNERS
? GRAPHITE NUT
? TONEPROS LOCKING BRIDGE W/STRING-THRU-BODY
? NATURAL BINDING ON BODY
? WHITE BINDING ON NECK & HEADSTOCK
? 24 XJ FRETS

This one is even closer to the C1 Classic, and costs $4000

So either there must be alot to say for ESP craftsmanship over shecter, or shecter might be a better economic desicion.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Last edited by Vornik at Aug 29, 2006,
i'd say it's really up to you, to be honest esp's and schecters feel pretty similar to me.
ok. if your talking about ESP than go with the the ESP

but if your talking about LTD (trust me its an entirely diff story) then defs go schecter.

easy

Sunburst ESP Viper-400 with EMG combo
Ibanez Talman Elec-Acoustic
1973 Denver Acoustic
Traynor Custom Valve 20
Classic Cry-Baby
Schecters are amazing. I played on the Classic and after 5 minutes the guy kicked me out of the sop cuz i pissed my pants. Not really. But schecters rape.
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD EC-1000
Fender American FSR Mahog. Chambered Tele 60th
Fender Mexican Strat SD Hot Rails Br/Ne
Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10
Boss DD-6
Boss Metal Zone
Wtf, i skimmed this thread, and apparently most of you know sweet **** all about ESP. ESP guitars decimate Schecter in all categories, there's no such thing as a low end ESP.

If you're talking about LTD however, make that clear as it is a subsidiary of ESP, as is Schecter.
nope sorry cody but their both run under the same parent company but they run differently compared to each other but cody your statement about ESP is correct their is no such thing as low-end ESP well anyway if it is it will be the Standard Series so yeh if thats ****ing low end some of you need to be shot in the head. and to the guy that saying that a ESP Custom Horizon is close to a C1 Classic wtf have you been smoking mate cos seriously their both different and you are going to certainly get higher quality with the ESP hands down no contest at all
First off, here's my take on the LTD vs Schecter Vs any other comparable guitar...

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6657507&postcount=13

And the other thing is people have to make the differentiation between ESP and LTD. They're 2 TOTALLY different line of guitars. It's not an ESP. And it's no more an ESP LTD than a Squier is a Fender Squier or an Epi a Gibson Epiphone. LTD is LTD. End of story. It's a different entiry. A different branch of the same entity. Do you say you drive a GM Corvette? Or a GM Chevy Corvette? No, Chevrolet is a completely different branch of GM.

And you can't compare LTD and ESP in terms of quality. The difference between mass-produced Korean guitars and premium Japanese instruments is pretty big. Specs may be similar, but the quality of the woods that go into the guitars make them totally different instruments, even though they may look identical and share the same specs.

And you can't compare ESP to Schecter. Those people arguing that ANYTHING Shecter make (outside of their custom shop) is comparable to an ESP are smoking rope. As for comparing Schecter to LTD, THE GUITARS ARE MADE IN THE SAME FACTORY. One isn't significantly better than the other. If you get a top-end LTD and a comparable top-end Schecter, chances are the only difference cosmetic - the shape of the headstock and the brand name, and finishes. The guitars will vary in terms of what hardware they use. Some will have trems, others fixed-bridge, etc. They may have different pickups and electronics configurations.

But when it comes to which is 'better', the guitars are THE SAME. And which is better suited for a particular player is 100% personal preference.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

I totally agree. If you want a versatile-in-rock-and-metal-guitar and you can affort an ESP you don't think twice if you want EMGs.

Do yourself a favor and try the EMG 81/60 conf. You can get the most amazing clean and a kick-ass drive.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Quote by Crunchmeister
First off, here's my take on the LTD vs Schecter Vs any other comparable guitar...

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6657507&postcount=13

And the other thing is people have to make the differentiation between ESP and LTD. They're 2 TOTALLY different line of guitars. It's not an ESP. And it's no more an ESP LTD than a Squier is a Fender Squier or an Epi a Gibson Epiphone. LTD is LTD. End of story. It's a different entiry. A different branch of the same entity. Do you say you drive a GM Corvette? Or a GM Chevy Corvette? No, Chevrolet is a completely different branch of GM.

And you can't compare LTD and ESP in terms of quality. The difference between mass-produced Korean guitars and premium Japanese instruments is pretty big. Specs may be similar, but the quality of the woods that go into the guitars make them totally different instruments, even though they may look identical and share the same specs.

And you can't compare ESP to Schecter. Those people arguing that ANYTHING Shecter make (outside of their custom shop) is comparable to an ESP are smoking rope. As for comparing Schecter to LTD, THE GUITARS ARE MADE IN THE SAME FACTORY. One isn't significantly better than the other. If you get a top-end LTD and a comparable top-end Schecter, chances are the only difference cosmetic - the shape of the headstock and the brand name, and finishes. The guitars will vary in terms of what hardware they use. Some will have trems, others fixed-bridge, etc. They may have different pickups and electronics configurations.

But when it comes to which is 'better', the guitars are THE SAME. And which is better suited for a particular player is 100% personal preference.

Brand loyalty is incredibly pointless with Korean guitars, as they're all stamped out of Cort and Samick. Design loyalty, on the other hand - but that's preference indeed.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Dont listen to those losers Schecter Is 10 times better Than ESP!
Member #20 of the Guitarists Born in 1991 Club PM blues_rocker or greendayguitar to join.

Member Of The Anti - Ibanez Militia

Quote by d. b. cooper
I listen to metal, therefore I do not have feelings...

Quote by -blaze-
anti-depressants for emo kids.

Well, yesterday I played a LTD EX400 and I was amazed about it , I'm used to the thin wizard neck on my RG1570 but the neck on the EX400 was just as easy , it didn't go all sticky and was fairly thin (strat profile I guess).

I gotta agree with this guy a few posts above me , the clean on the 60 is amazing, and it's fairly nice on the 81 ( no strat clean, but hey it's a humbucker).

Plus I hate the schecter headstocks, I want something that looks fast like my ibanez headstock lol.
Orange Enthousiast.
ESP > Schecter in all way. Come on Japan > Korean models. Japan makes even better stuff than the famous Gibson Les paul....
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
Quote by pifty

Brand loyalty is incredibly pointless with Korean guitars, as they're all stamped out of Cort and Samick. Design loyalty, on the other hand - but that's preference indeed.

You said it. In the case of Korean instruments, it's all a matter of personal preference. You pick a guitar that has the features you want and at a price you can afford. The brand name is irrelevant.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

well high end schecters dont go above $1000, and ESP has plenty that do. basically, IMO, anything under 1000, schecter beats all, anything above 1000, PRS and ESP beat all...so with that said, the hellraiser is probably better than anything else you are gonna get for that price, since i dont think any ESP is under 1000, only LTD's, so basically my point is Schecter>LTD, ESP>Schecter
Quote by codybcool
Wtf, i skimmed this thread, and apparently most of you know sweet **** all about ESP. ESP guitars decimate Schecter in all categories, there's no such thing as a low end ESP.

If you're talking about LTD however, make that clear as it is a subsidiary of ESP, as is Schecter.

they aren't really a subsidiary, they are owned by the same people, but other than that there is really nothing else alike.
Go get your shovel.
Last edited by SynGates7X at Aug 30, 2006,
Well, i remember seeing a post by one of the administrators on the ESP forum, that took the form of an announcement in which they confirmed Schecter were owned by ESP, but Schecter operated completely independantly. I could well be imagining it but meh. Moot point.
Quote by codybcool
Well, i remember seeing a post by one of the administrators on the ESP forum, that took the form of an announcement in which they confirmed Schecter were owned by ESP, but Schecter operated completely independantly. I could well be imagining it but meh. Moot point.

well yeah..they are owned by the same guys, but both operate on their own. thats what i meant, maybe i was vauge.
Go get your shovel.
Quote by KevP714
Dont listen to those losers Schecter Is 10 times better Than ESP!

what are you an idiot? which ESP's have you tried? and if were losers you must make you a gay **** sucking whiny bitch
indeed...i mean im a schecter fan boy and i can still admit that ESP owns schecter...not LTD of course
Go get your shovel.
I prefer LTDs to Schecters, but like Crunch said there is no "better" guitar for the price range, it's all about personal preference.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
I like schecters personally but yeah.. As far as high end goes Custom shop schecters which many people seem to forget are probably comparable to high end esps...
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
Quote by ScottishAngus
I like schecters personally but yeah.. As far as high end goes Custom shop schecters which many people seem to forget are probably comparable to high end esps...

Has anyone ever seen a playable custom shop schecter?
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
To the threadstarter: I find ltd's and schecters to be extremely similar in almost every category except playability, schecters have really small string spacing and I'm used to strat string spacing, which ltd's are much closer to. So if you have big hands, a schecter will be great for rhythm, but you will have to adapt to play fast lead stuff on it. On the other hand, I think schecters look way better, but I guess that's not the most important thing when it comes to matters like this.

Also, I've never played a hardtail ltd, or a schecter with a floyd, so the string spacing could possibly have to do with that, in which case, a c-1 hellraiser would possibly have the same spacing as the ltd's that I have played.
Quote by pifty
Has anyone ever seen a playable custom shop schecter?

i have...the shop i go to had a one that he had custom made specifically to play...it was very nice as far and playability and sound goes, but i didnt much like the looks. it was basically like the hollywood classic pictured on the website, just with different pickups.
Go get your shovel.
Oh. So where's their "custom shop website" through which one places a custom order to which they refer throughout their FAQ? I was kind of curious about what they offer there, but they fail to link to the actual place anywhere...
yeah they kinda lie...i was talking to my local dealer and he said you pretty much have to call them if you want to order a custom one
Go get your shovel.
Page 1 of 2