Page 1 of 2
Hey UGers. I was wondering who listens to skapunk, bands like Choking Victim, Leftover Crack, Morning Glory etc. [Crack Rocksteady stuff]. But I was more so interested in what different skapunk bands people listen to. Also kindof a suggestion thread for skapunk.

I've always been more partial to Choking Victim over Leftover Crack. However I've seen a lot of people who are the opposite. I understand its the same stuff. But I like CV songs better. To Leftover Crack fans, what LoC songs are your favorite?
if you like ska-core then you should check out my band Corporation:

www.myspace.com/corporationskaband

as for other ska-core bands, i would say try No-Cash, and the Suicide Machines. And i agree, Choking V beats LoC. fu*king love them both though
Quote by pinheadslts75
Aside from Operation Ivy, Common Rider, and The Bosstones, I don't like any of it.

Basically that + "Nazi White Trash" by Leftover Crack.
The skapunk that I listen to is:

Choking Victim
Leftover Crack
The Suicide Machines
Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Streetlight Manifesto
Catch 22 (Only Keasbey Nights though)
Operation Ivy
Big D and the Kids Table

I'm not sure if some of those would be classified as "Skapunk" but they're definately Third Wave Ska.
I just got "No Gods, No Managers" by Choking Victim last week. It's sweet. I was never really into ska-punk before, but I'll have to check out some more bands.
Off Duty Ninjas and Stuck Lucky. Nashville Skapunk bands that kick major ass. Just went to see Big D And The Kids Table and they've been added to music I listen too.
He who acts, conquers.Nashvillepunk.org

I'm old, I'm tired, and I have acid reflux. So don't mess with me.
Check out Evil Empire and Trike, Chicago Ska Core! Ill post links later
WHY DON'T YOU CONSULT EROWID FIRST?
Quote by doggy_hat
It's sad how the love drug is corrupted with so much bullshit
the only ska punk i still listen to is op ivy. I only own op ivy,bosstones and suicide machines though.
LEFTOVER CRACK ARE NOT SKAPUNK.

They are barely a punk band.

More punk/metal with ska Influence.
"This shit here's called Death"
"What the fuck? You mean I'm gonna hit this shit and die?"
"No Nigga! I said Deaf. You hit this and you aint gonna hear shit!"
i would say other than what u like already

The Suicide Machines
Operation Ivy
Against All Authority
I just dont get why people make such a big fuss over Op Ivy. They wrote some decent stuff, but its not legendary in anyway. I mean, hardly any of the iconic punk bands had any talent. The Ramones, Sex Pistols, Op Ivy, Bruce Springsteen. I like my punk rock, and i like my ska, but i dont like bands that are all hype and no attack.

But for Skapunk, definitely Big D or Capdown.
i was modest about it before... but i am the ****ing man
He wrote the song Hungry Heart with the intention of giving it to The Ramones.

Whether or not they would have taken it is up to you.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahhahahhahahahsgahabadiksjb nh jefoiusdjkdfnjkfd nd;lskfjdnss

Aaaand Operation Ivy is legendary. They wrote more than decent ' stuff. '

How do you come up with that Bigwig? You said Bruce Springsteen, Ramones and Sex Pistols in the same sentence. Then said Operation Ivy isn't anything to make a fuss over but Big D is the best skapunk.
the bruce springsteen part was a joke guys. I'm just not really into the music of the past anymore i guess. I can see the emotion in it, i just dont get much out of it. I used to be into a lot of older ****, but i grew out of it all. There is so much **** going on now that blows all of the older stuff out of the water. I'm not disrespecting the older bands, but there are bands now who just do it better, and we do owe it to our predecessors, but because of these punk icons, these bands are able to pull from that influence and create something new. Do you see what I'm getting at?
im kind of drunk so if it doesnt make sense, i will explain myself better tomorrow.
Quote by bigwig
the bruce springsteen part was a joke guys. I'm just not really into the music of the past anymore i guess. I can see the emotion in it, i just dont get much out of it. I used to be into a lot of older ****, but i grew out of it all. There is so much **** going on now that blows all of the older stuff out of the water. I'm not disrespecting the older bands, but there are bands now who just do it better, and we do owe it to our predecessors, but because of these punk icons, these bands are able to pull from that influence and create something new. Do you see what I'm getting at?

Helpful tip, i wouldnt start this game, i tried to convince people here a while ago that there are loads of new underground punk bands that kick ten barrels out of the older bands. Needless to say they ripped me apart, UG loves their dinosaurs. That said. I completely agree with you, there are some absolutely cracking new bands.
“I smoke. If this bothers anyone, I suggest you look around at the world in which we live and shut your f*ckin' mouth.” RIP
Http://www.Smash-it-up.tk
THANK YOU! i guess production value and talent have no effect on these guys.
I like Operation Ivy, Choking Victim/Leftover Crack, Manic Sewing Circle, and umm...other stuff.
For some reason I can't stand the Bosstones though. Dicky's voice....

Quote by bigwig
I just dont get why people make such a big fuss over Op Ivy. They wrote some decent stuff, but its not legendary in anyway.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you. Go get the Energy liner notes. Read the lyrics and Jesse's quote about music/communalism at the beginning and tell me it's nothing special.
Capdown
NoComply
Adequte Seven
Howard's Alias
Sonic Boom Six

You may or may not consider those ska bands. ADVII in particular don't really use ska lines, they're more punk/funk. And I realise they're all modern, but fuck that, they're all ace.
Quote by Holy Magenta
I like Operation Ivy, Choking Victim/Leftover Crack, Manic Sewing Circle, and umm...other stuff.
For some reason I can't stand the Bosstones though. Dicky's voice....

I'm gonna have to disagree with you. Go get the Energy liner notes. Read the lyrics and Jesse's quote about music/communalism at the beginning and tell me it's nothing special.

i'm not denying the fact that jesse is an iconic figure. The Music they put out was influential, but id rather spend my time listening to bands that are still putting out music and keeping it fresh. Op Ivy gets so old. I want to be the guy sitting around 20 years from now not being able to say "yeah i used to be into those guys when they first came out" rahter than, "yeah Op Ivy was around for like a year when i was 4, but i didnt get into them until i was 15 because i was way too into rancid"
Capdown
NoComply
Adequte Seven
Howard's Alias
Sonic Boom Six

You may or may not consider those ska bands. ADVII in particular don't really use ska lines, they're more punk/funk. And I realise they're all modern, but fuck that, they're all ace.

SOMEONE who has good taste in music

Ad7 are splitting up (said they've had enough...haha)

If you like Howard's Alias, have you listened to Thinkpol and Skylar? They're Matt Reynold's other bands and they're wicked.

F*cking love the Boom as well.

Quote by bigwig
i'm not denying the fact that jesse is an iconic figure. The Music they put out was influential, but id rather spend my time listening to bands that are still putting out music and keeping it fresh. Op Ivy gets so old. I want to be the guy sitting around 20 years from now not being able to say "yeah i used to be into those guys when they first came out" rahter than, "yeah Op Ivy was around for like a year when i was 4, but i didnt get into them until i was 15 because i was way too into rancid"

I don't really get what you mean...you don't like them because they were only around for like 3 years, or what?
Quote by Holy Magenta
I don't really get what you mean...you don't like them because they were only around for like 3 years, or what?

no, i never said i didnt like them. I just said i didnt think they were worthh the hype. The fact that they were only around for a few years baffles me because a lot of bands put time and effort into their music, and tour rigorously(?), which enables them to grow a fanbase, and actually connect with their audience. Op Ivy, well they never had a chance to develop. hence the reason i have more respect for bands like Strung Out, and Bane, and Big D. Big D have toured their f U cking asses off for a good 10 years. To me, that deserves more praise than a band that was around for 15 minutes then turned into sh i tcid.. excuse me, Rancid. I dont know how much clearer i can be.
Quote by damn-right!
Helpful tip, i wouldnt start this game, i tried to convince people here a while ago that there are loads of new underground punk bands that kick ten barrels out of the older bands. Needless to say they ripped me apart, UG loves their dinosaurs. That said. I completely agree with you, there are some absolutely cracking new bands.

Here's how I personally look at this. I think that there are new bands that are just as talented, write songs just as well, and put out just as much energy as my favorite old timer's bands. But the older bands for me are dear to my heart because they are the ones I grew up with. They were the ones that first made me go, "Damn, what's this? I like this alot." The excitement of something new was there. After over 20 years of bein around all this and listening to this kind of music, the new bands really have to do something a little extra to catch my attention. And I think that's why its so hard for them.

Now with that said, new bands that I like? Big D and The Kids Table,. Why? I saw them for the first tie a couple weeks ago and they impressed me with thier live show.
Westbound Train is another that blew me away. I think they took rocksteady ska and did it just a little better and smoother than others.
SS Kaliert-Good, fun, Nihilistic punk rock like it used to be.
The Loose Skrews-What Antiseen could have been.
And there's alot more that my old brain ust can't think of right now. But ya get my drift. I don't like alot of the new bands because teither they sound a little too thought out to sund like an old band, or they're vocals sound too whiney, or they just don't have that intense in your face attitude that I prefer.
He who acts, conquers.Nashvillepunk.org

I'm old, I'm tired, and I have acid reflux. So don't mess with me.
Mustard Plug
Operation Ivy
Suicide Machines
Against All Authority

I think these bands are ska punk, but then again, I do suck and could be wrong.
streetlight manifesto, aquabats, operation ivy, choking victim, mustard plug, against all authority, leftover crack, arrogant sons of bitches, link 80, slapstick, the suicide machines, area 7, capdown, big d and the kids table, citizen fish, assorted jelly beans, morning glory, common rider, antimaniax. just to name a few.
Quote by Ska Wars
streetlight manifesto, aquabats, operation ivy, choking victim, mustard plug, against all authority, leftover crack, arrogant sons of bitches, link 80, slapstick, the suicide machines, area 7, capdown, big d and the kids table, citizen fish, assorted jelly beans, morning glory, common rider, antimaniax. just to name a few.

f uck yeah dude! Link 80, AJB, Slapstick, SM, Capdown, and f ucking big d!
Page 1 of 2