I'm about to mess with my guitars body, how do I keep my neck from warping while I have it off?
Gear:
Hagstrom Viking cherry
Crate B15 bass amp
Squier SQ MB-5 5-String Bass
Epi Valve Junior head
Russian Muff
FAB Chorus

I HAVE THE RED PUBIS
a squier affinity strat
Gear:
Hagstrom Viking cherry
Crate B15 bass amp
Epi Valve Junior head
Russian Muff
FAB Chorus

I HAVE THE RED PUBIS
hmm, therein lies yoru problem. but good news, it cant get any worse
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
its a bolt on neck, you can take it off and it wont warp
only set in neck/thru-body necks will warp if the strings are off them too long.
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
last time I took it off it warped a little and took a few days to get back
Gear:
Hagstrom Viking cherry
Crate B15 bass amp
Epi Valve Junior head
Russian Muff
FAB Chorus

I HAVE THE RED PUBIS
It wasn't bad just enough to mae the strings rattle a bit
Gear:
Hagstrom Viking cherry
Crate B15 bass amp
Epi Valve Junior head
Russian Muff
FAB Chorus

I HAVE THE RED PUBIS
i suppose you could adjust the truss rod, but i know nothing about that kind of stuff
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Ok, I'll just take it off, if it does it again it should bend back I guess
Gear:
Hagstrom Viking cherry
Crate B15 bass amp
Epi Valve Junior head
Russian Muff
FAB Chorus

I HAVE THE RED PUBIS
Quote by DBS_KICKS_ASS
ive had a neck off for like 4 months one time and it didnt warp one bit.

I've had one off for a few weeks, sitting downstairs in the cold damp air. It didn't warp at all.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
yeah, are you sure you know what "warp" means?? cuz that is odd...

PS squier "affinity" strats and teles arent bad!!
Fender Mex Cyclone HH
**ZOOM G7.1ut**
Yamaha COD-100 Overdrive
Big Muff Pi USA
Danelectro Chorus
Behringer EQ
Dinosaur Heavy Metal

member #4 of the "can't we forget about punk, emo, metal, and all the other subgenres and just ROCK?" group
Quote by danzig-_-
its a bolt on neck, you can take it off and it wont warp
only set in neck/thru-body necks will warp if the strings are off them too long.

As a professional luthier, i can say with absolute certainty...

what a load of crap!!

There is NO REASON that ANY type of guitar neck will warp when its not under string pressure. Do chair legs warp? What about wooden boats?? Walking sticks.... bookshelves... the stick your dad used to beat you with???

This post deserves the FIRST UG bad advice award.

(Invalid img)

If you are taking off the strings for an extended period of time (eg: weeks and weeks), i would suggest loosening off the truss rod. Better still, get your local guitar tech to do it, that way you wont break it.

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
ormsby > you
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Perry to the rescue
Official member #3 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join. Luthier's only .
Quote by ormsby guitars
As a professional luthier, i can say with absolute certainty...

what a load of crap!!

There is NO REASON that ANY type of guitar neck will warp when its not under string pressure. Do chair legs warp? What about wooden boats?? Walking sticks.... bookshelves... the stick your dad used to beat you with???

This post deserves the FIRST UG bad advice award.

(Invalid img)

If you are taking off the strings for an extended period of time (eg: weeks and weeks), i would suggest loosening off the truss rod. Better still, get your local guitar tech to do it, that way you wont break it.

Nice one Orsmby

Just a quick question coz I reckon that you would know - Why do you have to loosen guitar strings when you take a guitar on a plane? I heard something about a pressure gradient warping the neck - so does loosening the strings not warp the neck because there's no tension? Does it matter if its set/through or bolt on???

Threadstarter - I think you'd be fine mate

EDIT: Ormsby - did you ever find an apprentice luthier?? If another spot opens up - tell us on UG first

Cheers

Dan
Gear List;

Laney VH100R with Matching Cab
Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
BC Rich Neck Thru Warlock
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
Last edited by danastasi at Aug 30, 2006,
no, i didnt find an apprentice... i need a larger factory first.

You should loosen the strings when flying, not because of the pressure at altitude, but because of the baggage handlers. At full tune, there is enough string tension that the headstock can snap if the case is dropped. The weakest point of the neck is the nut area, due to the string tension, AND the fact that area isnt supported in the case. Add the weight of the tuners, and drop it the correct (incorrect?) way and it will snap the headstock clean off.
I see it happen about twice a month.

You dont need to take the strings off, just make them too loose to play a note, but tight enough that they wont fall off.

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!