Page 1 of 3
It's hard to watch shredders playing the blues. It's usually nothing but tapping and whammy bars. It never sounds like blues music.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPey6F527LM

someone should show him that video. imo, you shouldnt go any faster and for longer periods of time than in that song. SRV knew how to do it. Malmsteen's solo was just speed for the sake of being fast. i got bored. sure, you dont have to play slow to play blues but it cant just be fast all the time for the whole song and throwing in tapping and just shredding as fast as you can. you need to tell a story and put your heart and soul into the song.

just because you're using a blues scale, doesn't mean you're playing the blues.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPey6F527LM

someone should show him that video. imo, you shouldnt go any faster and for longer periods of time than in that song. SRV knew how to do it. Malmsteen's solo was just speed for the sake of being fast. i got bored. sure, you dont have to play slow to play blues but it cant just be fast all the time for the whole song and throwing in tapping and just shredding as fast as you can. you need to tell a story and put your heart and soul into the song.

just because you're using a blues scale, doesn't mean you're playing the blues.

And for thanks for posting my favorite song ever.

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
I am a shred fan (More satch and Vai than Yngwie though) but there is a huge line between blues and shred, There is blues BASED shred (kirk hammett is the best example i can think of) and there is shred saying its shred (i actually havent heard of any of that except yngwie calling that solo blues)
Blues isnt about the speed and teechnical skill, its about the feeling, i personally love the signature BB king or SRV licks and riffs, they just blow my mind
Quote by Stop Messin'
It's hard to watch shredders playing the blues. It's usually nothing but tapping and whammy bars. It never sounds like blues music.

You're pretty good at stereostyping 'shredders'.
              ┌────────────┐
            |  Jet fuel     |
            |  Can't melt    |
            |  Steel Beams  |
            └─────┰──────┘

Quote by Erc
Ha, go tell that to Oscar Peterson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kNvWQgkDcs

well for one, that was a piano. second, he wasnt playing as fast and souless as malmsteen imo. i agree that that wasnt slow but ive seen fast and that gets annoying as well. plus he changed paces in that song. malmsteen kept it around the smae pace for the whole song.

i dunno but for some reason i think a blues play on piano can get away with fast player more than a blues guitarist. i dont know what it is about it. at the end of the song he was going pretty fast, maybe blues piano shreding lol. if it were like that for the whole song i would have turned it off. but he worked up to it and had little other parts with different paces and feels to it where as malmsteen just gave it hell and just played fast basically.
Hmmm... thrashing on Yngwie I see... he is a great guitarist... but he is classicly trained which influences his playing a lot. It doesn't mean he doesn't have passion, he just has a different way of playing which some people don't like. I still respect his playing although. I think SRV is a better blues musician... and most other old school bluesmen.
My Music
[thread="475365"]My Fender Strat[/thread]
Starter of the Caught my Guitar on Fire club.
Yeah, i think that if shredders are going to play blues, they should actually have feeling in their playing, and whoever said the best example of blues influenced shred was kirk hammett, i dont see how he's influenced by blues at all.
The irony of Yngwie Malmsteen's music is that his hero, Ritchie Blackmore, doesn't understand where Yngwie's music is coming from, and doesn't even like it that much.

As discussed on here before... that's probably not the best indication of how to play the blues.
Encore God & Asomodai- UG JHS Brotherhood

Encore God: fighting UG Zeppelin-centrism since 2002.

seriously i think someone said it before. its a blues scale but that deffinently doesnt make it blues. yes he is a good guitarist but im not feeling that solo there and the biggest thing about a good blues solo is that i can really feel it and tell theres so much emotion being put into it.
"Blues is what you got when everything else is
gone." - J.Lansdowne
haha lol, he really tries to play the blues... poor Yngwie.

oh, no. I used the word yngwie in the same sentence as blues. *smashing head in the wall*.

I feel clean now.
Last edited by bananaguitar at Sep 2, 2006,
Quote by GD_GC

seriously i think someone said it before. its a blues scale but that deffinently doesnt make it blues. yes he is a good guitarist but im not feeling that solo there and the biggest thing about a good blues solo is that i can really feel it and tell theres so much emotion being put into it.

He doesn't know anything about the blues really. He once said that he doesn't play the blues because 'there's only so many times that you can sing about your baby leaving you'.

Says it all.

Since when are fast playing guitarists not allowed to play the blues scale?
Carpe diem; Seize the day.

Just be.

Scales are notes, not shapes, boxes, or patterns.
Quote by fendermalmsteen

It was more the fact that he made it sound like he knew how to play the blues when he patently doesn't.

Don't get me wrong, I like Yngwie, but he can't play the blues to save his life.

Quote by fendermalmsteen

They can use it but they better not think that using it automatically makes it a blue solo.

Phish - Waste
Quote by Godly Moose
You're pretty good at stereostyping 'shredders'.

Thanks baby
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
Why the bloody **** do you guys even care?
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
^ I Hate You, I Hate You, I Hate Youi Hate You!!!

Can I come with... I'll need a ride from Ontario Canada though.
Hai UG!
Quote by Encore_God
He doesn't know anything about the blues really. He once said that he doesn't play the blues because 'there's only so many times that you can sing about your baby leaving you'.

but theres not only so many times you can play the same damn sweep arpeggio's?, malmsteen is one guy i really despise, the man is a walking cliche.
he thinks he is god literally i dont think people would have much of a problem at him being crap if he was shoved so far up his own arse
" the lick is simply a diminished harmonic minor arpeggiated sequence of dominant stitonics descending down in whole steps in the Phrygian mode...with a raised fourth.
alrite i tihnk this will sum up everything everyone has to say about yngwie

he is the biggest ****in wank on the planet

amen
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

It's amazing how you are all so upset about Yngwie being ignorant of what Blues really is when none of you(at least most) have any understanding of shred or have taken the time to hear it so you could at least figure out the difference between shred and wank. If you're going to insult someone for ignorance at least don't contradict yourselves.
I didnt really like the solo, it wasnt that bluesy. However the emotion argument is getting old very fast, what may envoke emotions in you may not do shit for another person. Also none of you are in a position to judge wether or not he is actually puting emotion into his playing since none of you are aware of his mindset at the time.
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
Meh, it was ok, I can't say I hated it, but I can't say I enjoyed it too much either.
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
Quote by aseme
Yeah, I hate yngwie.

He puts no heart and soul into his playing. You can't call that blues... I just call it ****.

I find more emotion in Yngwie's Black Star than I do in every SRV song put together. On the other hand, I find little emotional stimulation in Jimi Hendrix's music, for me it's just sloppy wanking.

You do not have an emotionometer that lets you objectively tell who put emotion into their music, so stop acting like you do.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by Prophet of Page
I find more emotion in Yngwie's Black Star than I do in every SRV song put together. On the other hand, I find little emotional stimulation in Jimi Hendrix's music, for me it's just sloppy wanking.

You do not have an emotionometer that lets you objectively tell who put emotion into their music, so stop acting like you do.

Stevie Ray Vaughan playing without emotion is something Ive never heard before. Thats the thing that I love about him above anything else, he pours his heart and soul into his songs.

For Yngwie to consider that Blues just shows how much of an egotistical asshole he is. I cant shred, I dont play metal, I dont play rock, but I play blues. I couldnt write or play a shred song if my life depended on it. But for him to say that was blues then he doesnt deserve to pick up a guitar.

Phish - Waste
^So Yngwie's ingnorant to Blues just like pretty much all this forum is ignorant to shred and just dismiss it mainly because they can't play it , at least that's how I see it.
It IS a Blues forum. Whenever someone posts a Shred guitarist claiming to play blues which we view as soulless and insulting, yes we are going to rip it apart. Im not gonna like, I dont listen to shred. Everyonce in awhile Ill listen to Satch but its just not my thing. But im not going to "fret wank" and just do a punch of pulloffs and claim to play shred. Just as Yngwie cannot claim that to be a blue solo.

That was a shred solo, not blues.

Phish - Waste
Funny though, how he never says it's a blues solo... He says it's some "bluesy stuff", which it is. And then the visual "Blues Solo" that comes up at the start... Well, Yngwie had nothing to do with the actual visual editing...

So hey, there goes your entire argument.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by Resiliance
Funny though, how he never says it's a blues solo... He says it's some "bluesy stuff", which it is. And then the visual "Blues Solo" that comes up at the start... Well, Yngwie had nothing to do with the actual visual editing...

No, but I have heard Yngwie play in a blues structure, and good God it was awful.

Also: I love shred and fast guitar when it's played well. We can all agree here that the best guitar playing is when its tasteful and the playing suits the mood.

Quote by Resiliance

That solo didnt contain one aspect of blues AT ALL. So to continue my argument for him to paste the word blues on that solo is insulting. Again im not saying Yngwie is a bad guitarist but for him to think "Oh hey im gonna play in the blues scale and BAM I got a blues solo". I say screw him.

Phish - Waste
Page 1 of 3