I'm looking to buy a new bass (geddy lee sig woot) and I almost have enough money saved but then I realized my ****ty randall 30 watt ( sounds more like ten watt) amp just wouldn't do the geddy justice and then I was wondering whether I should get an amp first and there is no way I could get both at the same time. So should I get an amp or a bass first? And if an amp which amp would you reccomend because I'm thinking of a Gallien Krueger Half Stack or something like that (I haven't really looked into it yet.)

Sorry if you get alot of these but I looked in the first couple of pages of threads and nothing and my search button hasn't been working for a while.

Thnx for any response.
Anybody will tell you to get a better amp first. Its just a better purchase.
Once you get to the top, the only way to go is down.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
If you wanna play in a band you're better off having a good loud amp.

+1

If you're not in a band or are not planning on being in one for the next 2 years or so, go with the bass.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
An average Bass will be much improved by being used through decent amp, whereas a decent Bass will not be able to make a crap amp sound good.
Aim as high as you can ampwise and make sure if you buy a combo that it will take an add on/extension cab without disabling the internal speaker, 200/300 watts should be ok.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
A good bass sounds crap through a crap amp but a crap bass will sound good through a good amp.

Your choice bro!

If you've no intention of playing out anywhere until you can afford an amp, i'd buy the bass, but you dont wanna get caught short and be asked to play and say you can't because you dont have an amp..
The thing with amps is the tone you get from them is personal preference. I personally dont like Ampegs or Ashdowns, but they are high qaulity amps and you may like them. Defintely spend time looking and make sure you take your bass with you to the shop so you know exactly what is will sound like before you buy it. Look at all the amps the store has and spend as much time as you need.

Personally, i''m a huge GK fan so i will always recommend them

And yeah, get the best you can afford. Always.
Quote by Applehead

The problem with that is I don't have a steady Income I don't have a job so should I spend all my money on an amp now or should I spend almost all of it and save a couple hundred towards my new bass because if I don't It will be another year and a half or so until I can get a job and won't be able to buy one for two years? SHould I just wait it out
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
The problem with that is I don't have a steady Income I don't have a job so should I spend all my money on an amp now or should I spend almost all of it and save a couple hundred towards my new bass because if I don't It will be another year and a half or so until I can get a job and won't be able to buy one for two years? SHould I just wait it out
Nobody will notice how good your Bass is if it's going through a crap amp. My Stingray 5 only came into it's own when I re-invested in a better rig to get the best out of it.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
lol hey jazz we have the same bass bahaha... but to answer your question I personally would go for the amp first bass second... I dunno about amps tho GK's are quite nice yes... and waiting for money sucks balls get a job!!! damn hippie (I shouldnt be talking)
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
I had the same problem, I had enough money for a Fender Jazz but decided to get a new amp as my 15-watt Peavey wasn't cutting it. I got a Laney R3 165-Watt and it makes my squire sound good! Go for the amp, you won't regret it.

You can get another bass when you have more money.
Quote by Applehead
The thing with amps is the tone you get from them is personal preference. I personally dont like Ampegs or Ashdowns, but they are high qaulity amps and you may like them. Defintely spend time looking and make sure you take your bass with you to the shop so you know exactly what is will sound like before you buy it. Look at all the amps the store has and spend as much time as you need.

Personally, i''m a huge GK fan so i will always recommend them

Agreed.
Make sure you play with the tone knobs and such too. Try a ****load of amps. If you find one you like, try more.
I'd go with a new bass. You can practice on your ****ty amp, but if you get asked to play gigs or whatnot you can always go to the music store and rent an killer amp for a few days.
Quote by alexm23
I'd go with a new bass. You can practice on your ****ty amp, but if you get asked to play gigs or whatnot you can always go to the music store and rent an killer amp for a few days.
You develope a good sound and technique by playing through decent gear, there is nothing to inspire you by producing a crap sound!
Many inexpensive Basses are good value these days regarding quality and sound to the point where you can gig with them for a considerable time, whereas, spending money hiring gear is only music to the ears of music shop owners!
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
What about the laneys? They seem pretty awesome. Im lookin into an RB4, or maybe an r3