Page 1 of 2
Ive honestly never practiced with a metronome and i am fine. i think i would have been better without one cuz i tried using one a few times and i couldnt get the hang of it. i can play at fast speeds with good timing perfectly fine and i can play a lead with different speeds in it and still keep time, so i dont get the whole DONT PRACTICE WITHOUT A METRONOME thing.
ok? playing with one is the general recommendation and who's to say you won't be better once you get the hang of practising with one?
Quote by into the moat
Ive honestly never practiced with a metronome and i am fine. i think i would have been better without one cuz i tried using one a few times and i couldnt get the hang of it. i can play at fast speeds with good timing perfectly fine and i can play a lead with different speeds in it and still keep time, so i dont get the whole DONT PRACTICE WITHOUT A METRONOME thing.

If you couldn't get the hang of it it means you're not playing in "perfect time." A metronome is perfect so if you can't play to it then you're not keeping the beat perfect.

So basically:

A) They keep you on the beat so you can play on time and consistantly even.

B) They're a good way of measuring your speed and progress.

You don't HAVE to play with one, but I would never go without highly recommending a metronome to any guitarist who doesn't have one. Some people can get pretty proficiant and then one day when they play with a band they get off beat and stuff and ask themselves "why?" It's cause they didn't use a metronome.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Quote by into the moat

Quote by into the moat
Ive honestly never practiced with a metronome and i am fine.

first mistake. Less arrogance, more analysis.

Quote by into the moat
i think i would have been better without one cuz i tried using one a few times and i couldnt get the hang of it.

Second mistake. Less ignorance, more patience. Also it might be helpful to learn how to use one properly....

Quote by into the moat
i can play at fast speeds with good timing perfectly fine and i can play a lead with different speeds in it and still keep time, so i dont get the whole DONT PRACTICE WITHOUT A METRONOME thing.

Well.... prove it. We cant judge you if we cant hear your playing... post a recording of a welll known shred song, dosent have to be at speed, just in time.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Someone would be rather disappointed if they were made to record a full-length song only relying on their inner ear for timing...

Don't kid yourself, into the moat.

Ofcourse it's not hard if you have drums to keep the rhythm for you, is it? I'm talking about guitar only, for a 4 minute song... There's no way you'll be able to pull that off with perfect timing
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
yeah
and its not that you might be a bad guitarist
but it helps alot
and how do you know you can keep in time if you cant use a metronome
Quote by apocalypse13

Quote by Beckerism
I ain't ghetto foo! I's just keeping it real!

Keep it real man.
Click.
Quote by into the moat
Ive honestly never practiced with a metronome and i should say i think im fine but since im some tard who wont stay on rhythm i will state that i believe i am perfectly on rhythm therefore i think i am fine. .

corrected
you mean Night Lights
and you should have just edited your post dude
dont double post
Quote by apocalypse13

Quote by Beckerism

Keep it real man.
Click.
since i got a metronome , im faster and can keep time better . so get one foo'
This reminds me of something I heard on this kind of topic, they're three types of people when it comes to metrenomes:

The smart ones who practise with one
the stupid ones who don't
and the even stupider ones who think they don't need to
'If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the Universe' - Carl Sagan.
I didn't use a metornome untill the day I realized that a little device that makes beeping noises can PWN me...

Just can't stand for that.
Quote by WillPlayForFood
mow lawns mutha ****a.. shiiieeett back in the old days we used to go out in the fields and pick cotton.. turns out My boss was colorblind.

EDIT:not trying to be racist.
...and don't sig me.
If you can't play with metronome, then you can't play it all.

Seems like you've been fooling yourself for quite a while.
Quote by Resiliance

Ofcourse it's not hard if you have drums to keep the rhythm for you, is it?

I' agree but how would u not be in this kind of situation? Like i agree metronomes are the way to go, but i dont use them all the time either and I am fine as far as timing goes with a drummer. I dont really need to play a four minute solo without a drummer.
Quote by Freepower

B) Think. This may be hard if you havent done it before, so start slow and with a metronome.

Quote by Punk Poser
What's in my wallet:
Broken Dreams, crushed oppurtinitues, and an old condom.

Quote by PooKoo
well, we are pricks, but were arrogant, not ignorant.
Quote by hepzibahbaptist
you mean Night Lights
and you should have just edited your post dude
dont double post

sorry about that and im not one to post just to get count up as i post in the pit and other forums about 50/50, just posted again about 5 minutes later and didnt refresh the page (assuming somone else had posted)
Quote by Midnight 260
I' agree but how would u not be in this kind of situation? Like i agree metronomes are the way to go, but i dont use them all the time either and I am fine as far as timing goes with a drummer. I dont really need to play a four minute solo without a drummer.

How would you not be in that situation?

Oh, I don't know... Recording anything at all?

Besides, chances are if you don't have the presence of mind to use a metronome, your drummer has pretty crappy timing skills.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Click.
yah but then u'r in time the drummer isnt it will still sound bad...

edit : btw resi are u the same resi on Racer X's message board?
Quote by Freepower

B) Think. This may be hard if you havent done it before, so start slow and with a metronome.

Quote by Punk Poser
What's in my wallet:

Quote by PooKoo
Quote by Midnight 260
yah but then u'r in time the drummer isnt it will still sound bad...

My point was that if the drummer isn't in time, you're in time with the drummer and so you're also not in time... Only you wouldn't realise it.

Quote by Midnight 260

Yes.

Click.
You need a metronome, regardless if you think you are a uber shredder. End of story.
IRON MAIDEN
7 Feb 2008, Melbourne, Australia
23 Feb 2011, Melbourne, Australia
4 Mar 2011, Melbourne, Australia
------------------------------------------------------------
YouTube

Something tells me resi's drummer would have to play alternate half note triplets and 5/4 half notes at 40 bpm for 4 hours straight without messing up. *shrug*
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
Hey guys you all seem to know about this metronome stuff. So I'm trying to learn the tapping part to Eruption right and I wish to use a metronome to have my correct timing and speed. OK my question a) What BPM is Eruption and how are the beats split up, e.g. would I like tap on the beat then hammer on once in between, then tap on the next beat then hammer on then tap etc. etc. ?
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by public property
Something tells me resi's drummer would have to play alternate half note triplets and 5/4 half notes at 40 bpm for 4 hours straight without messing up. *shrug*

That'd be nice

Click.
Quote by Cal UK
Hey guys you all seem to know about this metronome stuff. So I'm trying to learn the tapping part to Eruption right and I wish to use a metronome to have my correct timing and speed. OK my question a) What BPM is Eruption and how are the beats split up, e.g. would I like tap on the beat then hammer on once in between, then tap on the next beat then hammer on then tap etc. etc. ?

I suggest downloading the Guitar Pro flie.
Quote by Stratwizard
I suggest downloading the Guitar Pro flie.

Ok does guitar pro cost money?
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
I don't know about the metronome thingy, but my teacher has this thing that you just need to find the accent in fast stuff and it works it works for me. if I do that then i can fill the rest of the notes in naturally. He says it's either tapping your foot.

I mean it's all about hearing and if you can hear how to keep in time it's alright. You jsut need to listen something a million guitarists could learn from, and not the "someone press a C on a piano and i can tell it's a C. But more listen to dynamics and erros noises and stuff. He says never think of what you're playing just hear what you're playing cause that's the only thing you can count on as a musician.

Advantage: you can solo over virtually any time signature any chord progression.

Disadvantage: Some pëople get turned of if they hear their mistakes and think they can "just get away with it"

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Sep 5, 2006,
Quote by into the moat
i think i would have been better without one cuz i tried using one a few times and i couldnt get the hang of it.

Is it possible that this is perhaps the worst way to decide if something is good or not?
Quote by Freepower
Is it possible that this is perhaps the worst way to decide if something is good or not?

I'm quite astounded by the logic myself.

So... He thinks he would have been better without one because he tried and he couldn't do it...? What? Is it just me or is that a reason FOR doing it?

Click.
I'll give that an amen. I think he's missing the whole part of a metronome.
Quote by apocalypse13

Quote by Beckerism

Keep it real man.
Click.
Quote by xxdarrenxx
I don't know about the metronome thingy, but my teacher has this thing that you just need to find the accent in fast stuff and it works it works for me. if I do that then i can fill the rest of the notes in naturally. He says it's either tapping your foot.

I mean it's all about hearing and if you can hear how to keep in time it's alright. You jsut need to listen something a million guitarists could learn from, and not the "someone press a C on a piano and i can tell it's a C. But more listen to dynamics and erros noises and stuff. He says never think of what you're playing just hear what you're playing cause that's the only thing you can count on as a musician.

Please tell me im not the only one who cant understand a word of this post?!?

5th Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM Apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
He means in the first part like at the start of every measure u accent....not sure bout the other one
Quote by Freepower

Quote by Punk Poser
What's in my wallet:

Quote by PooKoo
Yeah I knew he meant something like that, but really his post is entirely confused and pointless 0_o. What does accenting the firts note of a measure matter if nothings keeping the tempo?
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
What happens then, when people like Shawn Lane who sometimes play licks where the accenting isn't clear and easy to hear?
'If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the Universe' - Carl Sagan.
what i mean is if i can hear where the accents are then the rest flows out naturally. With this i can play every lick is its 3's or 6's or 11's or 13's. I tried to count it and practice it slowly but now it comes out just like that. It's like once you get to that speed you can play eveything by just hearing. My fingers just automate play such a thing. Maybe it's a bit confusing, but if i hear it i can play it unless it's beyond my technical capabilties (too fast, too stretchy, akward finegr positions).

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Matt_Malmsteen
What happens then, when people like Shawn Lane who sometimes play licks where the accenting isn't clear and easy to hear?

They're often deliberately doing that, because sometimes hearing 4 accents a bar in the same places every time gets boring. Doesnt mean they don't know EXACTLY where the beat is...

Otoh, a lot of people dont and just hope for the best when playing fast licks.
Quote by Cal UK

It's not. It was recorded entirely in free time and thus, any bpm is a total approximation. It is almost certainly not consistent whatever it is.

Of course, you could not use a metronome and just say you're a math metaller.
Ever wonder what rock would have sounded like in 2010 if grunge hadn't made it cool to be stupid?

The Three Aces
On UG profiles - On Myspace

Please mark yourself as a fan if you like!
That's my point; learn by hearing you also won't get problems with free time stuff

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
I think combining the two is good, work with a drum track that has a pause in and work with getting everything in synch doing that free time, hitting the notes in time as the drum track starts again.
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
I think it's interesting how he came in here to say "how much better he's doing without a metronome" and hasn't been back since.
Quote by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
the fact that you had trouble when trying to practice with a metronome rings alarm bells for me.
Marty
Page 1 of 2