Hey i was wondering if anyone on here could help me with identifying how John Frusciante gets his unique sound (the really biting one, normally when he solos). Obviously its either going to be either a strat or a tele through a marshall, but what sort of pedals/overdrive does he use? Is the distortion organic?
any help would be appreciated.
who are you to wave your finger......
Quote by Gabel
Well he uses a Big Muff alot.
Quote by xolax

Oh grow up .

Doesn't he use a Boss overdrive pedal in there somewhere with an Ibanez wah?
Terms and Conditions apply.
Quote by cagnius
Oh grow up .

Doesn't he use a Boss overdrive pedal in there somewhere with an Ibanez wah?

i just remembered that one 70s show episode where they all got to the muffler shop and paint all over the -ler-s. it ended up saying all that muff stuff
Which song are you thinking of?

Stadium Arcadium solos are EXTREMELY different to each other but ill tell you this:

Most (studio) Solo tones are Zvex Fuzz Factory with WH10 for wah.

however, Live on teh stadium arcadium tour he uses EH USA RI Big Muffs with MXR Micro Amps for a touch more gain.

And guitar-wise - 1962 Strat with a Marshall 200w Major is what he uses mostly. The Silver Jubilee is for his teles and his Fender Dual Reverb is for his Gretsch.
Last edited by Matticuss22 at Aug 30, 2006,
I'm not gonna' be too specific about this because Matticuss22 has already said all the right stuff...

But John uses a USA Big Muff boosted by a MXR Micro Amp, mostly always used with his Strat's neck pickup through a clean Marshall Major.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by R_H_C_P

But John uses a USA Big Muff boosted by a MXR Micro Amp, mostly always used with his Strat's neck pickup through a clean Marshall Major.

True to almost certainty. Especially in Michigan is played using the Neck Pickup of Danelectro Pro by Omar Rodrigues-Lopez and Readymade is played using the middle Hum of His Black Beauty LP.
i was using my schecter blackjack with a boss overdrive pedal, and got the exact sound of the dani california solo, (apart from the phaser part at the end of course)if that helps at all...
Quote by boredretard
he also uses this big 600 $modular synth thing

Yeah, that thing is ridiculously complicated.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
The middle pickup on his sunburst strat is wired for reversed polarity. Leave it to a true Frusciante fan to give you that kind of information.
Call me Steve. All the cool kids are doin it.
Quote by crazynickman

Step One: Wake up in the LATE AFTERNOON
Step Two: Roll around in garbage and lyrical genius
Instant Bob Dylan.
Quote by Strat_Monkey
Yeah, that thing is ridiculously complicated.

you talking about the moogerfooger????
Quote by Jaffaps2
'How to get Fruiscante sound'?

Rip off Hendrix.

Go and die.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
John uses Boss DS2 Turbo Distortion and Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi. These are the most important... John Frusciante Forever !!!
Quote by STRAT811
The middle pickup on his sunburst strat is wired for reversed polarity. Leave it to a true Frusciante fan to give you that kind of information.

Is that true?
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side