Ok, Syurvey Says?

Line 6 Pod Xt Live

Digitech Gnx4

Old Fashioned Pedals

Which Is Best In Your Opinion?
If by old fashioned pedals you mean just single effects pedals, then they get my vote. Never a fan of Multi-Effects.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
In my opinion, GNX 4 all the way. It's got everything. I love mine to death, I havent used it as much since I got my new amp, mainly because I dont want to tweak it again to make it sound better haha.
Fender American Select Strat HSS Antique Burst
Fender American Select Strat HSS Transparent Crimson
Fender American Deluxe Strat
PRS Custom 24 USA
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Parker PDF100
Multi effects for the convienience.
Yes, the individual effects may not be as good as there high end analog equivalents
but are people going to notice that much live?
Hamer USA Chapparal Custom, scalloped fretboard & Sustainiac
Hamer USA Chapparal Elite, Dragon Snakeskin finish
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Mesa 50/50 Stereo Power Amp
Laney 4x12 Cab
Quote by josbourn1
Ok, Syurvey Says?

Line 6 Pod Xt Live

Digitech Gnx4

Old Fashioned Pedals

Which Is Best In Your Opinion?

depends what you're going to do with it IMO. I have the podxtl and GNX4. The GNX4 is a great tool if you will use all the features, it's completely packed with options. The built in drum machine is great to use for recording, along with the built in 8 track recorder. It can also get some very decent recordings itself using the amp models and fx. I sometimes use it just for the drum machine on recordings. I use the built in mic preamp to do all my amp clips, with the drum machine as the backing. The built in Jam man is great to get ideas with and solo over, and the built in Whammy is a fun effect on top of all the normal ones. The harmonizer is a fun effect. There are patches you can download made for specific amps that sound a lot better than the factory presets. It also has a wide array of connections, balanced xlr and regular, line in and mic in that you can run thru all the fx or route around. It's really crazy the number of ways you can route things. You can even make recordings, and record a seperate DI track that you can use to "re-amp" the dry signal back into an amp, so you can tweak the amp. The only problem for me with this unit, is it can get kind of digital sounding when I try to use it with my amps in a live situation. The fx sound pretty decent however, and most of the amp models seem to have more gain than the ones on other multifx models. The neat thing is, you can also switch between channels on the the different amp models, and then use a warp feature that combines the channels. The different outputs would make it a snap to go direct into a PA also, even using balanced XLR.

The Podxtl is better sounding for recording IMO. Again, I didn't like it using it for live situation on my amps, but for silent practice and recording, it works great. I just made a clip the other night using the podxtl, and I was able to get a pretty good heavy tone out of it. http://erock503.dmusic.com - listed under Podxtl originals, top clip labeled "sacrud". The v3 update helped a lot with the recording interface for me, it records much more like how it sounds thru my headphones now. I like the amp models better for recording stuff on the PC than the other multifx I've tried. This only has regular stereo 1/4" or line out 1/4", but still should be easy to hook into a PA.

If you are getting this setup to strictly use with an amp, I would use individual pedals, or if you need a lot of different fx for live use, I would get rack unit like the G-Major. They really are the best sounding multifx to use in a live situation IMO. If you do use either the GNX4 or Podxtl with an amp, I've found they work best on the fx loop, only using the mod and time based effects, like reverb, delay, chorus, etc... I still use stompboxes for any kind of overdrive.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Aug 30, 2006,
Quote by rockers73
Multi effects for the convienience.
Yes, the individual effects may not be as good as there high end analog equivalents
but are people going to notice that much live?

Actually, individual effects are far better than multi-effect processors.

Due to the fact that the multi-effect processors are completely digital.. and they tend to suck the guitarist's tone.

But, that's just my opinion.
My gear:

MIJ Squier Stratocaster

Washburn WR150 Quilted Top

Oscar Schmidt Semi-hollow Delta King

Epiphone Hummingbird

Amps: Fender Eighty-Five
I know, I meant the individual effects within the multi effects unit.
Sorry if my post was confusing
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Laney 4x12 Cab
What Erock said
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Laney 4x12 Cab
I'm currently using a Boss GT-8 as my preamp and effects processor, and if you work with the unit, you'll be able to get great sounds out of it. To me, the POD has better amp models than the GNX4, but the GNX4 has better effects to me. The POD is a little more versatile with it's use of effects however. I've tried both, and for me, the GT-8 beat them both as it's a little in between both units in terms of effects quality and amp sounds.
If you buy a cheap multi-effects unit, it will sound cheap

if you buy a more expensive multi-effects, a Boss GT-8 for example, will give you MUCH better tone - because it's basically every Boss pedal in one box