Im looking to replace the tubes on my vintage gretsch amp that im trying to restore. It takes 6v6 gt tubes in the power amp section. I was wondering if I could just run any 6v6 type tube in it or does it have to be the gt's? I bought the wrong tubes for it once due to lack of knowledge about tubes and dont want to do it again.
Rockybo on Gwar: "What costumes? They're from fucking outer-space, you retard."
I would say use any tubes you want, so long as they are a matched set of 6V6 spec, they should be the same spec. I would also get the amp biased however unless you can do that yourself. It's not cathode biased is it?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I dont know to tell you the truth. I dont know much about tube amps in general and this one is old on top of that. How could I tell if its cathode based?
you might want to email Bob at http://www.eurotubes.com/index.htm . He's been very helpful with questions I've had in the past, he may even know your amp. See if you can figure out the model from their page. http://www.gretschpages.com/amps/ . I would email him and see what he says. Even if you don't use JJ tubes, which are what he carries, he can probably steer you in the right direction. I really like the JJ's personally, and I do know he sells 6V6 tubes, since I was debating putting them in my amp.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I don't know why I didnt think of that. I've ordered tubes from them before(the first wrong set I bought for this amp,lol). Thanks for your help.
Oh and If I have to buy a different set of 6v6's I'll let you know cause I would sell them to yah cheap if you still want a set to put in your amp.
As long as it's a 6V6 or equivelant it will work, what model is the amp? I've got a schematic archive and probably have the scheme for it somewhere, I could tell you if it's cathode biased or not (i'd guess it is because that's the sort of vibe I get from gretsch... not that I've ever played one. )

And FWIW I'd go NOS as it's an old amp, it'd be more "period correct" and won't sound as dull because it would be designed around tubes of that era. My choice 6V6s are Brimar and Mazda.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Its an old 6161 Electromatic Gretsch. I went and bought the 6v6's and replaced all the preamp tubes and I cant get a sound out of it. The tubes are getting power and the amp is turning on and all but I dont even get amp hiss or anything. Any idea what could be my problem power freak?
Was it working before you added the new tubes, or is this the first time you've tested it? Also, If you're not hearing anything at all, I would check the speaker connections just to be safe. Check the input jacks on the amp and guitar too, make sure they haven't spun, cables, etc...
amp clips
amp vids