anyone know what is the best bang for the buck?

Fostex seems to be the best brand to get

The KORG D888 seems nice (out of price unless I can find one used on ebay)

The Tascam DP-01 FX are cheap on ebay.. but they appear so cheap. Only two inputs, so how do I put in 5 mics from the drum set, guitar, vocals, and a bass?

Anyone have any insight what is the best bang for the buck, thanks!
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

| |
One thing is you can record at different times. I have a tascam, not sure of the model, but it was under 400 new, 2 inputs. Since I use a drum machine, i've never ran into the trouble of a drum set. But then everything else is recorded at seperate times. Works out great imo.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
Quote by alienboy18241
One thing is you can record at different times. I have a tascam, not sure of the model, but it was under 400 new, 2 inputs. Since I use a drum machine, i've never ran into the trouble of a drum set. But then everything else is recorded at seperate times. Works out great imo.

So I guess it would be wise to buy a mixer to plug all the instrument mics into and then run cords out to plug into each "mic in" on the tascam to create a stereo sound from the DP-01FX (sounds like you have the original DP-01)

Another disappointing thing about the tascam is they have only Highs and Lows on the EQ.. no Mids. Guess that doesnt matter if I have a nice mixer running into it.

From what i've heard tho, Fostex is the way to go for digital mixers.. so I am open to opinions. thx!

Thanks Alienboy!
"
-Maynard

| |
you record one at a time like drums then bass then lead guitar etc.. thats the point of a multi track recorder
MEMBER 6 OF I <3 Online Putt Putt Group
Puttsecks?
Quote by DoTheEvolution
I like peni better. It sounds funnier.
"a group of naked guys jumped me, I have never seen so much peni ."
he likes peni

Captain of the Rage Against the Myspace Club. PM Bloody Mary to enlist.
Quote by RAGEING_BAD_@$$
you record one at a time like drums then bass then lead guitar etc.. thats the point of a multi track recorder

I dont want to limit our band to just that. That's not we're interested in. We play awesome live and it's easier to make live demos... However, recording individually would be nice too, but we'd rarely us that function.
"
-Maynard

| |
Trust me, it's a lot easier to do it that way. If you want everyone recording at once, and one person makes a mistake, you would want to record it all over again. If you instead decide its easier for you to listen to the music and play along and you mess up, you go right back to where you were.
Yes i know that if you record all at once and one person wants to change what they did you can easily do it, but what i'm trying to get at is that if you really prefer all at once, then you try to record differently, it can mess you up.
But in the end, do what your comfortable with
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
^ we like to hear how we progress as a band also. We dont do originals, we write our own.. we like to relisten to it so we can say yaay or naay on any given part of a song
"
-Maynard

| |
I do like that part better, but IMO for a better final song, I like to put drums down first, then bass, guitar, ect... But it all comes down to what you like. Its the same for everything, some people like certain types of guitars, amps, even picks. So do what you're most comfortable with.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
basically we're looking for a $400 tool to help us write songs and grow better as a band.. and make demo CD's. When we're ready to record professional... we'd go to a studio.

So any insight what's the best bang for the buck? I guy I was in a band with a yr ago had a Fostex.. it was a discontinued one, but much like the D888. It was nice.
"
-Maynard

| |