Page 1 of 2
So what are your guys take on the shows about metal on Vh1 i like some of them like Heavy:The story of metal,100 greatest metal moments etc. So which ones do you like if you watch them or why don't you.
May the Schwartz be with us! 2012

MAL

Q: OK, so do you care about the labels — nastiest, edgiest team in the NFL?

Jim Schwartz: It's better than the alternative — meekest, least aggressive, softest team in the NFL.

^I did like that too.

MAL

Jim Schwartz: It's better than the alternative — meekest, least aggressive, softest team in the NFL.

I like 50 greatest Metal songs. Heavy is alright. Kinda interesting. I haven't really seen any others.
i watch some of them, mostly for the humorous commentary by everyone. for the most part though, they only show shitty hair metal bands. they rarely ever talk about the real metal that was around in the era of hair metal.
I hate on Heavy: The History Of Metal, when they finally get up to the 90's, they only mention nu-metal bands like Slipknot and Korn. They consider nu-metal the future of metal. They never mention bands like Death, Napalm Death, or Carcass, and never get to todays metal.
Last edited by imcrazy814 at Sep 16, 2006,
Those shows are alright, but the comedy is the only reason I watch them.
Quote by imcrazy814
I hate on Heavy: The History Of Metal, when they finally get up to the 90's, they only mention nu-metal bands like Slipknot and Korn. They consider nu-metal the furture of metal. They never mention bands like Death, Napalm Death, or Carcass, and never get to todays metal.

I mainly like the first two of them when they talk about sabbath, zepplin,kiss,judas priest,iron maiden,van halen.

MAL

Quote by maidenrulz19
I mainly like the first two of them when they talk about sabbath, zepplin,kiss,judas priest,iron maiden,van halen.

I usualy turn it off after Maiden, 'cause I love seeing Bruce Dickenson in his little safari outfit. lol
Quote by imcrazy814
I hate on Heavy: The History Of Metal, when they finally get up to the 90's, they only mention nu-metal bands like Slipknot and Korn. They consider nu-metal the furture of metal. They never mention bands like Death, Napalm Death, or Carcass, and never get to todays metal.

thats why im sure there all on vh1 classic. not vh1. but i love all those shows only cuz i love motley crue and the hair metal. but i also love todays stuff
Quote by dethofmoo
haha you said shlong. that means penis. haha your hair is like a penis. penis-hair!

Quote by Vin2254
I once strummed so hard the earth cracked in two and satan rose from the firey pits of hell and marveled in my glorious strumming abilities. True story.
Most of them suck. Headbanger's Ball is a crime against humanity, and '100 Greatest Metal Moments' is littered with mostly 'Non-Metal Moments.'

They did a good job with 'Behind the Music: Pantera,' though.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
On the Least Metal Moments thing they were talking about the band Europe being from Sweden and saying how un-metal Sweden is. I guess those hair band retards have never heard of a little thing called the Gothenburg scene. I like the Pantera BTM though.
Spongerob47
I didnt like BTM Pantera because after the first like 15 minutes it became like "Look how Phil ****ed everything up for Pantera and is solely responsible for Dimes death. Hes a total asshole." It may actually be true but I find Phil to be a very thoughtful, sincere and honest person. But again I could be wrong.
Member #2 of the "Eggnog > Humanity" club
^^Pm Scourge441 to join

PM MackDaddy or RhinosaurBones to join the Mortal Kombat Klub. That's right, Klub with a K.

Quote by happytimeharry
wow, is that backgammon? Now that's what I call fore play...
Every single one I've ever seen fails to represent true metal. Almost every single one goes on about Led Zeppelin, KISS, and a bunch of other non-metal bands, a bit about Black Sabbath, then about hair metal and new metal, and sometimes a mention of Metallica. All of the pop culture magazines (Rolling Stone etc) always fail to make any decent list or overview of metal.

That metal documentary movie that came out shortly ago was the only one that I find to be worth anything, and even it had it's flaws.
لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله
If I see Guns and Roses mentioned on another Top metal whatever Im going to blow my ****ing brains out. I didnt mind Heavy. I thought it was a tad bit interesting seeing how things got started and what not. The Pantera BTM was really well done IMO. Not what I was exspecting from VH1.
Rockybo on Gwar: "What costumes? They're from fucking outer-space, you retard."
I lol when I watch VH1 metal specials ,they only mention really popular bands ,the only guy that they interview who seems to know what metal now days is ,is strangly the vocalist of Twisted Sister. Despite the fact that I do not like TS ,their vocalist is one of the few people I respect from Hair Metal, he seems like a really intelegent guy despite the crappy and cheeze music he writes.
I've only seen the Pantera BTM. They made Phil look like he hired Dimebags murderer...
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
I saw a clip of some thing on Youtube where they were talking out Mayhem and they completely messed up the whole story and made the whole thing just sound like a joke.

VH1 Should just stay away from Metal...
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
I kinda liked Heavy, it showed a couple of different sides to the whole thing (the whole part with Warrant and 'Cherry Pie', I thought was great). Although they hardly touched anything but the Glam scene, like they always do, and that sucks.

40 Least Metal Moments made me want to slash their ball-sack with a rusty chainsaw...
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
I did have a laugh when they started naming the metal sub genres, even if it was crap and didn't show the true metal bands.
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Tell me when thy band shall return to mark a schedueled performance on my nearest venue's door!
Quoth teh Loomis, "Nevermore".

Member #9 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
I watched Pantera BTM was very good but mega sad when you saw that nathan gale **** pointing the gun at dimebag.
I was waiting for someone to start a thread about this, I only got satellite TV a few months back (Australian equivalent to a Red Neck ) and I watched Head Banger's Ball with a little bit of expectation, I know bad idea.

And then they had that special on Vh1 on 6th of the 6th 06 (ooooo 666), and I just let it slide that they have little idea what they are on about and just enjoyed the closest thing to Metal on TV I have seen so far (not very close though ).

But the other day was the last straw, really with that Least Metal Moments ........ yeah "And now the number one Least .. Metal ... Moment .... This f*cking show (applause* ooooh raaahhh woo hoo*)", god what a joke that was, I couldn't watch the whole thing it was that annoying. Especially the ignorance of it, it was like they were being Metal elitists, except it wasn't Metal. (regarding the fact they say using any sort of orchestra / orchestral instruments was "un-Metal", I mean come on).

*end rant
Pantera behind the music was pretty good. And that other show Metal Militia is ok and better than headbangers ball.
IMO i think that Vh1 classic is better just cause they have metal mania but they should show it everyday.

MAL

I pretty much agree with everything you guys said. Also I don't agree that stuff like pink floyd and Jimi Hendrix (although good) are more metal than Iron Maiden and Judas Preist. I know they influenced metal guitarists and such but that doesn't make them heavier.
Quote by sicformyage

me:you like acdc
them:yea i do
me:cool, whats your favorite song,other than back in black
them:i gotta go...

Quote by jordanzio
i love hilary duff and will eventually marry her... she does not know this currently...

Quote by AzureNight
Every single one I've ever seen fails to represent true metal. Almost every single one goes on about Led Zeppelin, KISS, and a bunch of other non-metal bands, a bit about Black Sabbath, then about hair metal and new metal, and sometimes a mention of Metallica. All of the pop culture magazines (Rolling Stone etc) always fail to make any decent list or overview of metal.

That metal documentary movie that came out shortly ago was the only one that I find to be worth anything, and even it had it's flaws.

those bands were considered metal back then. the idea of metal has changed over time. most of the fans of those bands hate dont consider much of the metal today to be ACTUAL metal.
¤¤¤¤¤ ۩ ۝РЄŦĤ ۩ ¤¤¤¤¤
۩ ВŁĄÇĶŴĄŦЄŖ РĄŖĶ ۩

Quote by deadskinmask
I think you should listen to Bodom_Shredder7.

Quote by xolax
Listen to Bodom_Shredder, he knows what hes talking about

Quote by Alucard II
Bodom Shredder was right

SevenLastWordsOfChrist
Quote by Bodom_Shredder7
those bands were considered metal back then. the idea of metal has changed over time. most of the fans of those bands hate dont consider much of the metal today to be ACTUAL metal.

No, they were considered rock n' roll at the time. The word metal was barely used until the 80's. Regardless of what it was at the time, these shows are made today and show zero knowledge of metal.

And with all due respect, diehard fans of classic rock have little to no say on what is metal and what isn't.
لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله
They make fvcking Dee Snider look like a metal god, and call every other glam rock band from back in the 80's--metal.

Bunch of bull**** information from people who don't know what they're talking about including Ian from Anthrax.

Anyway, most of the shows that come out on Vh1 about metal are crap...

However they rarely, but do put out decent trivia about members of any random band they happen to be showcasing. Dio for example, Rob Halford, etc...
Black/Death.
Quote by MetallichaoS
They make fvcking Dee Snider look like a metal god, and call every other glam rock band from back in the 80's--metal.

Bunch of bull**** information from people who don't know what they're talking about including Ian from Anthrax.

However they rarely, but do put out decent trivia about members of any random band they happen to be showcasing. Dio for example, Rob Halford, etc...

Absolutely. I'm insulted whenever I hear "Poison was the top of the metal scene." or some bullshit like that.
Quote by MetallichaoS

Couldn't of said it better man.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by MetallichaoS

People here get too stuck up with the "True metal" vs "metal" type shit. Let's face it, putting on a history of "metal" special and talking about bands like Bathory isn't going to sell advertising space. You know what IS though? Bands people have HEARD of. Quit trying to act all hard and realize, there's no set definition of "metal", and in those days, it WAS a sub-genre of metal, like that shit or not. I'm sick and tired of motherfuckers trying to be metal elitists on this site, but instead just pissing and moaning about the most trivial of things. Fuck all you whiners.
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
I watched Heavy until I got absolutely sick of the bald guy who schpeaksh like a retard, which was about 5 minutes into the first one.

Quote by AzureNight
The word metal was barely used until the 80's.

You know, except the 70's and the late 60's....

Quote by Spynal
You know what IS though? Bands people have HEARD of.

I know what you mean, but documentaries are there to inform people, to let them know that bands like Bathory existed, that there was a black metal scene in Norway (which could also get some ratings, since it involved high controversy), and many other things which all of you are complaining about the absence of.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by duncang
I know what you mean, but documentaries are there to inform people, to let them know that bands like Bathory existed, that there was a black metal scene in Norway (which could also get some ratings, since it involved high controversy), and many other things which all of you are complaining about the absence of.

The point being the the mass majority of the music listening public (VH1's target audience) could give two shits about Quorthon recording Hammerheart in his garage. They just want to hear the history of things they care about, which, unfortunately falls closer to bands like Warrant than it does to Emperor.
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
Quote by GNR4EVER
I saw a clip of some thing on Youtube where they were talking out Mayhem and they completely messed up the whole story and made the whole thing just sound like a joke.

VH1 Should just stay away from Metal...

If you have to watch something on TV about metal, find "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey" - they did a good job, not just about metal but as a Documentary

I mean, even DVDuesday gave it a "buy", nothing to do with metal, just the quality - they did a huge part on Black Metal, I know that
-Mike
I agree with Spynal, cause most of VH1's audience is in America they will show metal bands that are popular in America which is mostly hair, classic, and mainstream thrash metal. Maybe if VH1 was a scandinavian based tv station they would be doing metal shows about black metal and stuff, but its not.
Seriously who which one of you would love to hear about Bathory, Death, Kreator ,Sepultura etc on VH1 ??? They would fuck it up and no one will be happy. I mean seriously, I would not want to hear VH1 talking about a serious metal band ,after all they did try to claim that Bon Jovi were metal in one documentary ,who knows what garbage would be said about the likes of Emperor. Or what sort of commercial they would make for metal by talking about Varg
Quote by MetallichaoS

Quote by Spynal
People here get too stuck up with the "True metal" vs "metal" type shit. Let's face it, putting on a history of "metal" special and talking about bands like Bathory isn't going to sell advertising space. You know what IS though? Bands people have HEARD of. Quit trying to act all hard and realize, there's no set definition of "metal", and in those days, it WAS a sub-genre of metal, like that shit or not. I'm sick and tired of motherfuckers trying to be metal elitists on this site, but instead just pissing and moaning about the most trivial of things. Fuck all you whiners.

^^That pretty much sums it up. . .and Dee Snider is very full of himself, lol
The only problem there would be in VH1 talking about metal bands such as Emperor, Bathory, Carcass, is the resulting image that the public would have about metal. That is, an elevated sense of almost "fear" and misunderstanding. Whether or not that's a good thing, isn't known...
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
Page 1 of 2