Yes, another "I need help with gear selection" thread....

Budget: $600

Current gear: Ibanez S470 (HSH) w/stock pickups (INF1, INFS1, INF2)

Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion

Boss Auto-Wah

Needs: Amp, new pickups, whatever else to play the music I like, which is rock/classic rock- AC/DC, Queensryche, Led Zep, The Cult, Def Lep, Dokken, G & R, Great White, Rush, Iron Maiden, Pink Floyd, Ozzy, Crue, Scorpions. The hardest I get is Metallica. And I love Satriani.

Actually, I should say "the music I like and want to learn how to play," but anyway...

What I've been hearing: ToneZone bridge, SD Jazz neck, lotsa choices for single coil.

Amps: Roland Cube 30/60, Vox AD30/50VT

Recently I've thought about getting a low-watt tube amp like the Fender Blues Jr., but I understand they sound best when played loud and I don't want to disturb the neighbors.

Oh, the OS-2 and Auto Wah were gifts from a most cool friend in Japan who is an AMAZING guitarist...so I haven't used them yet, obviously....but anyway....

Anyway, given my needs and current gear, if you have any comments on the above or recommendations for other gear and/or pedals I might need, please give a shout out.

Thanx in advance!
Ibanez S470 (2005 Black)
Washburn D10SCE
Vox AD30VT
The Tone zone is a sick bridge pick up. Mix It with a Air Norton in the neck and you'll feel better about life. I like those Roland cubes like you got. Do the pick ups and then save a little and get some sort of tube powered half stack and let your neighbors get used to it. Ha Ha.
I'd just get a used JCM 900 combo for about $500, and save to buy a tubescreamer later on.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
get a tube fender deluxe or crate palamino those are nice amps
the s470 is one of my favs cuz bradley used it
ditch the auto wah and getta vox wah
auto wah is for pussssssssies
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah no foreplay needed with a Blues Jr. she'll warm herself up.
definatly try out vox ad50vt and roland cube 60

those are both about $350-$360

which still leaves you a lot for pickups

but try out your style on both and see what you prefer
I would put all $600 into an amp as Ibanez pickups aren't the best, but are still decent with a nice amp.

But if you really think you need pickups too, maybe something like these for amps...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pignose-G60VR-Guitar-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=489058
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RG50TC-50W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481197

And look at these sites for pickups...
www.guitarfetish.com
www.guitarpartsusa.com
www.guitarnucleus.com

EDIT:

If you plan on the Vox/Cube route (I would suggest the Vox, it can do metal, unlike what most will say) you can look into the following...
www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk
www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk

EDIT2:

And if you really feel like Duncans/DiMarzios are your best bet for pickups, a '59 SD and CustomCustom would be a really nice set.
Last edited by SuperAnalytical at Aug 30, 2006,
Thanks all for the comments.

SuperAnalytical, do you think the swineheads, bareknuckles, or the SD '59 and CustomCustom pickups are more suited for the music I like (as mentioned in the first post) than a Dimarzion ToneZone in the Bridge and SD Jazz in the neck?

Thanks!

Quote by SuperAnalytical
I would put all $600 into an amp as Ibanez pickups aren't the best, but are still decent with a nice amp.

But if you really think you need pickups too, maybe something like these for amps...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pignose-G60VR-Guitar-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=489058
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RG50TC-50W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481197

And look at these sites for pickups...
www.guitarfetish.com
www.guitarpartsusa.com
www.guitarnucleus.com

EDIT:

If you plan on the Vox/Cube route (I would suggest the Vox, it can do metal, unlike what most will say) you can look into the following...
www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk
www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk

EDIT2:

And if you really feel like Duncans/DiMarzios are your best bet for pickups, a '59 SD and CustomCustom would be a really nice set.
Ibanez S470 (2005 Black)
Washburn D10SCE
Vox AD30VT
Quote by Hawaiiguy
Recently I've thought about getting a low-watt tube amp like the Fender Blues Jr., but I understand they sound best when played loud and I don't want to disturb the neighbors.

That is unfortunately true, as I am finding out, though if you're thinking about getting a Cube I would try them out first and pay attention to the fact that some of the distortion-oriented amp models are pretty loud even on their quitest setting, a rather stupid decision by Roland, IMO and one of the reasons I sold my Cube 30.
Quote by Mr Songwriter
That is unfortunately true, as I am finding out, though if you're thinking about getting a Cube I would try them out first and pay attention to the fact that some of the distortion-oriented amp models are pretty loud even on their quitest setting, a rather stupid decision by Roland, IMO and one of the reasons I sold my Cube 30.
Sorry to hear about that. Yeah, the more I hear about tubes sounding best when they're loud, the more I'm drawn to alternatives.

Now I'm thinking about the Vox Valvetronix AD50VT as it has that switch on the back to lower the power but retain the tone.
Ibanez S470 (2005 Black)
Washburn D10SCE
Vox AD30VT