Ok, I have narrowed my search down to 4 guitars and 2 amps, but I cant spend more than about $550 on everything. I play metal and I'm going to learn shred, My main influences are Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen, and John Petrucci

Ok, Guitars

Fender Mexican Strat Lefty- $250

Schecter Damien 6 Lefty- $350

Schecter Omen Lefty- $300

Ibanez RG370DXL - $400 (heard the tremolo & brdige sucks...but I could eventually replace them couldn't I?)

Amps

Roland Cube 15 Watt- $95

Vox 15 watt- $180

So basically, If I get an expensive guitar I can't get an expensive amp and vice versa, but right now I'm looking for more playability than tone since I'm intermidiate-ish and still practicing. Also, I heard the Roland Cubes have great tone and its alot cheaper than the vox.... So tell me people, what combination of those guitar and amps should
I get? and sometime I'll be going to Guitar Center, so I'll get to try them out...I'm just needing some extra opinions...
I haven't played those guitars, but if you're buying a 15W amp, I've been extremely pleased with my Line6 Spider 15W. I bought mine at a guitar center for about $160, and I've been able to reproduce all kinds of different tones with it. I play mostly Metallica, RHCP, Nirvana, Modest Mouse, The Beatles, White Stripes, Green Day, a bunch of music on it, and really it has given me any kind of tone I need, from ringing clean to heavy distortion.

I would try anything you buy first though, and just take whatever's comfortable. Maybe prepare some riffs beforehand to check the guitar amp's clean, distorted, etc . . . Make sure it can perform in evry way you want it to.
The above posters are all wrong! Crates and Line 6 Spider IIs are awful amps. FACT! The Vox and Cube aren't. Pick which one sounds best to you. Guitar-wise I'd suggest one of these: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG321-Electric-Guitar?sku=512492

Shred wise, you'll want the Ibanez neck. And low quality trems are more of a pain in the ass than anything.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
Ohhh...

Then the best advice I can give you is to just try out all those guitars in stores and see which suits you best. You'll probably want a guitar with humbuckers for shred though.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
Quote by darkfir3
question: Could I replace the bridge/tremolo with a better one...like maybe a floyd rose?
its cheaper and easier to install sperzel locking tuners than a floyd rose, use a little graphit lubricant or axle grease in the nut if it still binds and goes out of tune after that.
Dont get the spider like that guy said. And there really isnt much point in spending too much on a practice amp. Buy the Cube becuase they're really good. And then spend more money on the guitar. Normally it would go the other way but, since its not like your gonna gig with a 15 watt amp it really doesnt matter what you get.
George W. Bush for President 2012

We can do it if we work together!
Quote by CustomCustom
its cheaper and easier to install sperzel locking tuners than a floyd rose, use a little graphit lubricant or axle grease in the nut if it still binds and goes out of tune after that.

Well, would it work on the RG370DXL?....and is that why everyone thinks that the bridge on it is crap? because it goes out of tune? lol...does the tuners have to be made for a left handed guitar? or can i just get any?
Last edited by darkfir3 at Aug 30, 2006,
Schectzor Omen and t3h Vox gets my vote.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Id go with the fender and the Vox. Fender makes very good low end guitars. Dont listen to anybody when they tell you to get an Ibanez that cheap, they have bad hardware and worse pickups.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
buy the ibanez and then buy a OFR. the edge 3 will lsat a dew months and then you can replace it (no routing or anythnig) with an OFR.

OFR = Official Floyd Rose
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
thickness, thats it
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel