does a bass need to be tuned the same as the guitar for it to sound right?
like my guitar is E flat, the bassist is E
should he re tune to E flat?
if this is the wrong forum, tell me which one is...
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Last edited by danzig-_- at Aug 30, 2006,
Yes, I guess there are ways around it, but it just makes it easier if he does.
Electrolytes Smell Like Semen...
I dont play bass, but I do know you guys need to be in the same tuning to sound good, or atleast in the same key.
Equipment

• Shecter 006 Deluxe
  • Line 6 Spider II 30
  • Harmony Acoustic
  • Dunlop GCB-95 Wah-Wah Pedal
  • Zoom 707 II

Favorite Guitar Player(s)

• Eric Clapton
  • Brian May
  • Jack White
you should tune in the same key unless you want to play everything one fret up or haev yor guitarist play everything one fret down. why does this even matter. it takes to seconds to tune
you could both tune your instruments to Eb or u could have the bassist just play all the notes a step up.
or you could just you, stay in standard tuning...
Member of UG's Mac users club. PM Metalstillsucks if you are wanting in.

Quote by hendrixmusicman
whats IMO? like Emo? If imo is emo, then buddy, you can just shut up because im in the anti emo army. same with the veggies. I'm classic rock all the way.
E flat tuning is very common in recorded music. Stevie Ray Vaughn, Black Sabbath, The Byrds, and countless other bands use this tuning to lower the vocal range required to be on key. the bass player doesn't have to tune flat, but most do. including myself, if needed.
^^ only true since all them singers can't sing in tune so they tune down to conpensate the singers complete lack of ability. Also if your singer can't reach higher notes (most growly metal) then detuning allows for easyer singing range
And if you want looser strings for bending ect.
Grant me the power to change what I can.
Grant me the serenity to accept what I cannot change.
Grant me the wisdom to tell the difference.

"I had a hat once.
It was a very fine hat..."
Quote by Fozzie3000
^^ only true since all them singers can't sing in tune so they tune down to conpensate the singers complete lack of ability. Also if your singer can't reach higher notes (most growly metal) then detuning allows for easyer singing range

gnr tuned half step down.

can't really say Axl's a bad singer.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Fozzie3000

if all them singers complete lack of ability, equals platinum record sales, you sir, are correct.
Quote by Danzig111
you could both tune your instruments to Eb or u could have the bassist just play all the notes a step up.

dont you mean step down???
"The grass is always greener on the other side..."
Quote by tetsuma
Bass work is just as important as guitar work, its people who dont understand this who fail.
Quote by Forcemaster
gnr tuned half step down.

can't really say Axl's a bad singer.

He may have had a good range, but he sounded like a dying cat being raped in the anus by Horgh.

Quote by The_patient
No, a step up. Play all the notes an octive up, or at least the e flats

A step is 2 frets up, not an octave.

To the threadstarter-it would be much easier if the bass was tuned like the guitar.
Quote by Scourge441
He may have had a good range, but he sounded like a dying cat being raped in the anus by Horgh.

personal opinions differ, my point was he has a good range and is good singer. regardless of if anyone likes his voice or not.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Scourge441

A step is 2 frets up, not an octave.

To the threadstarter-it would be much easier if the bass was tuned like the guitar.

Ah yeah, wasn't thinking. Sorry.

EDIT - After 7 years of playing one would think I wouldn't need to think to know that
How does Axel have a good range? He sounds the same in all his songs. He has a high range, eg sings higher then most, which doesnt make him any better then any one else. And I don't think his talking voice allows him to have good range just cos he has a low voice and high singing voice.

Having to detune to be in a flat key doee in all sense mean they are not as good at singing because they always singer flat. Singing flat is not a good thing hence why everyone else has to detune to counter the fact a singer can't sing in tune.