What is the difference in tone with different gauges of strings, I've heard heavier ones give you a better tone. Thanks
their harder to play on but give you a harder tone
i myself think "heavy" gauge strings should die cause i hate them
so...*harder to play
*heavier tone
i dont find its much harder to play on then light guage ones, especially if you use a light top heavy bottom (10-52) guage like i do, then you get the heavey tone down low and the ease of play up high where it counts
Quote by ToolBass_dude
Look on youtube.com- search "rediculously hard classical **** that no one in their right mind would try" and you'll find some 5 year old asian kids playing it
I absolutely love low guaged strings. better tone. last longer. harder to break. and for me, better for lower tunings. ex.(B,F#,G,E,G#,C#)
i don't think theres is a difference it just matter what gauge you prefer
Dimebag Is God!!!!

President Of The Official Dimebag Darrell Fan Club
PM Me to Join

Member #28 of the Official Alkaline Trio Fan Club. PM greenfinger182 to join.
whatever you prefer man but I think the lower end gauge strings are better.

btw innocent victim Dimebag aint god

it's usually not a lot harder with thicker guages unless it's a really thick guage.. like I read Stevie Ray Vaughn used like .18's or something like that...

if you play a lot of detuned stuff use a thick guage. thinner ones can feel kinda flimsy detuned...

personally i use Hybrid slinky, which are .9's with the E, A & D strings from a guage up. so solo's are just as easy and your chords have a better sustain
i love the tone of heavier strings and the low strings respond better when their thicker anyway like sombody mentioned earlier get a custom set 10-52 is good but if you ever find a 10-60 set marry it immeadiatly and have tetnis infested babies with the poor things when they wear out ive played all sorts of guages and its true the heavier the better tone but theres a ceratain point where it just becomes too hard to play annnd to whoever was talking about tuning your guitar low... why are you talking about strings theres no quicker way to negate the effect a fresh set of strings has than to down tune your guitar and make alll your notes sound retarted and indistinguishable if you want lower tunings get a seven string
Quote by ?.?.? ³

Clapton IS God, dammit, and kudos to you for putting that picture up(even though there's a dog pissing in the corner.)

Anyway, I like DR Pure Blues light gauge strings (.10s). They play well and sound great. I'm thinking of trying out the Thomastik-Infeld Sliders, though.

Quote by claptonfan55
Clapton IS God, dammit, and kudos to you for putting that picture up(even though there's a dog pissing in the corner.)

Anyway, I like DR Pure Blues light gauge strings (.10s). They play well and sound great. I'm thinking of trying out the Thomastik-Infeld Sliders, though.

lol yah that whole dog pissin on "Clapton is God" never made sense to me cause it sorta seems like it would mean otherwise but idk whatever it is the "official" "clapton is GOD" picture.
Buy a different set of string every week untill you find YOUR strings. You might like 9's, you might like 13's. You will know when you find them.
i put a set of those ernie ball 10-52's on my guitar back in june and wow. best strings ive ever played. like they said above, chords sound bigger and fuller, notes on higher strings still have that crisp ring to them. they're very balanced. plus ive found they last longer than others. i play everyday and i have yet to see any wear on them in the past two months they've been on there.