What kind of a harmonic is produced by pipcking with the thin edge of the pick, rather than picking and running your thumb over the string?
What exactly do you mean?
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

well that my friend woudl be a natural harmonic and can only be produced in certain places
the other harmonic where you "run ur thumb over it" is a pinch harmonic
Epiphone Les Paul Special 2
Samick Corsair (custom evh paint job)
Bever Creek Acoustic
Boss DS-1
Behringer Bx108
Behringer Kx1200
A scraping sound? Well that doesn't sound like any harmonic I've ever heard...
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

We say this is the pick (1) You would rotate it like (2) for picking
.........___
1...../0000\......................2.....|
.......\0000/.............................|
........\000/..............................|
.........\00/ ..............................|
..........\0/................................|
...........\/.................................|
I don't know if this is a harmonic or not, its what the guy at guitar center said while playing some blues-rock
Last edited by jackson001 at Aug 30, 2006,
I cant get it to look right. It isn't a scraping noise. He rotated the pick 90 degrees and picked normally. It sounded different, he said it was a harmonic.
Quote by jackson001
I cant get it to look right. It isn't a scraping noise. He rotated the pick 90 degrees and picked normally. It sounded different, he said it was a harmonic.

it was a pick slide
The guitar center dude was an idiot. Playing a note with the thin side of the pick rather than the flat part (which I think is what you're describing) isn't a harmonic, it's just a different way of playing the string. The difference is that this way of playing will make the note sound softer, more hollow, and thin. If he hit a harmonic it was purely by accident.

As far as the pickslide, that is done by taking the side of the pick and scraping it down a string. Usually you want to do the low E string because that will get you the most noise. Also, do it with distortion or it just sounds dumb.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
Do certain pickups give you better harmonics? If so, would EMG's be good pickups for harmonics? I'm still having a lot of trouble with those damn pinch harmonics. Do better amps give off better harmonics etc. ?
I can pull 'em off an an acoustic, as can many others. It's all technique.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/