Whats the difference between a Major 3rd interval and a Minor 3rd? How can one be Minor and one be Major if they are both three steps up from the origin? Can someone clear this up for me?
a major third is four halfsteps from the root, the minor third is three halfsteps up, the three just refers to its the third note in the scale, when that note is flat, its a minor third.
Jackson DK2M White
Mesa Dual Rec(2 channel)
Carvin V212
major third is four frets from the root, minor is 3 frets...just listen
Quote by GuitarHobbiest
What exactly is a powerchord?

Quote by laid_to_waste
My trouser snake is friendly. If you pet him, he might even do a trick! think I'm going to hell for that one.
Quote by ddvdga
Whats the difference between a Major 3rd interval and a Minor 3rd? How can one be Minor and one be Major if they are both three steps up from the origin? Can someone clear this up for me?
The Group 2 Intervals
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
Try it out on your guitar (starting on the same note, lets say A). The shapes of the natural minor scale and major scale are different. Notice that the third note for the natural minor scale is one fret down as compared to the major scale. That is because its a minor third. Minor third for A is C, and major third is a C#.
they're not three steps apart, don't let that mislead you. the minor third is three semi-tones above the root, the major is four; thus, the minor is one half step below the major. the reason why its' called a third though it's four away is a bit too complicated to go into hear. don't worry about that now, just accept what western theory tells you unless you're desperate to learn outrageous calculations and ratios and differences between equal temperament and pure intervals. just accept that the major third is a third and the mi is one half step below it.