I've been playing acoustic for a few years and I just ordered an electric guitar online.

I play without a pick, and I don't do the thumming method. I don't know what you call it, but i pluck with my fore and middle fingers for notes and strum with my nails against the strings.

How will this sound on an electric?

Is it necesarry to use a pick for a good rock sound?
Quote by vainhero
I've been playing acoustic for a few years and I just ordered an electric guitar online.

I play without a pick, and I don't do the thumming method. I don't know what you call it, but i pluck with my fore and middle fingers for notes and strum with my nails against the strings.

Pick is a necesscity if you're going to be using distortion with that electric guitar, playing with your fingers gives it a very bassy muddy sound, hard to explain, go to your local music store and try it out you'll understand.
thanks for the info, i guess plucking is only good for stairway and hotel california
Quote by vainhero
any advice on using a pick for the first time?

practice practice practice
I use my fingernails and play cleaner than anyone I know, clean or distorted, and fast or slow. So no, it's not a neccesity.
Dickless.
I play electric with my thumb and nails. I like how it sounds.
30w crate
Epi sg
Fretless yamaha pacifica

Being poor rules.
Quote by the glue man
Yeah you could just grow your fingernails out a little. Might cut up the skin around your nail a little though.

no, don't do that, upstrokes will kill your finger and probably bend your nail back.
Dickless.
Use both I primarily use a pick for acoustic and electric. I like it better. Its easy really. Place it on the side of your index finger near the tip. Then lay your thumb in the oppisite direction across the pick. Then keep your other fingers open. You can anchor one on the gutiar if you want. Just keep working at it. You'll find a position that is comfortable to you.
Maybe a thumb pick and fingers would work well. But you don't need a pick for certain rock sounds. As someone else said, Dire Straits. maybe not a whole lot of distortion but Knopfler playscleaner than almost anyone. Also, if you end up using a pick you'll want to still incorporate your fingers using "hybrid picking" which is using a pick while, at the same time, using your middle, ring, and sometimes pinky fingers to pluck other notes.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
If you're just starting to use a pick make sure you alternate pick.
what is the music theory and what does it teach you, like scales, solos, and to build speed???

Check out my recordings
Quote by the glue man
Yeah you could just grow your fingernails out a little. Might cut up the skin around your nail a little though.

thats what i do i use my index findernail as a pick, lol haha its funny when my friends forget a pick
Quote by MetalMilitia212
no, don't do that, upstrokes will kill your finger and probably bend your nail back.

na i can still use upstrokes its fine
Quote by vainhero

The first time i read your post i thought you said that you picked with your forehead. I was like WTF!