Well I recently purchased a Boss DS-1 with a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. I've been messing around with buttons and Eq, and I'm not really getting what I'm looking for. I want a tight, classic rock tone, and the sound I'm getting is just loose muddy stuff. My distortion pedal is new, so I can change it to pretty much anything >$150 if I need to. I play an Ibanez RG1570. Any suggestions?
That's cool. I have $400 in birthday money deposited in my bank account today.

Any ideas as to what I can do with my current rig?
Last edited by mikeman at Aug 31, 2006,
Turn the Tone knob clockwise on the DS-1 to brighten things up maybe. Or use an SD-1 (overdrive pedal) to overdrive the amp...
It seems like this pedal is completely useless; I turn up the tone, it sounds like a telecaster. I turn down the tone and it's just mud.

1) Whats the difference between overdrive and distortion pedals?

2) What's tube overdrive? Just cranking the clean channel to get distortion?

3) How do the boss line of pedals compare to tubescreamers, dunlop distortion +, and digitech pedals?
...sorry, but it's been five hours, and I've nothing better to do. Bump.
Get an OD like a Boss SD-1 ($50) or a Tubescreamer (price can vary). Crank the level on the pedal. Put the tone to your liking and then put the gain to about 2/10. Then run your amps distortion channel. That should get you what you want.
Look at the Marshall BluesBreakers. I am actually selling one I built. I built 2, I for myself and 1 to sell. Its an amazing overdrive pedal and I easily get that hard bluesy tone that your soundclip gave with it.
for now, you could just try what he suggested with your current pedal as well, just sort of using it as a boost.
1995 MIM Fender Strat
Breedlove AD25/SM Acoustic
Chandler Les Paul w/Duncan Alnico II-Pro & Pearly Gates
Little Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Crybaby
Vox AD50VT

Quote by CheeseMuffin909
Zakk Wylde.
He's like Elton John but with a guitar, more stylish clothes, and not gay.
Change the pickups. The stock RG1570 pickups are really, really muddy.
Last edited by wylde_overdrive at Sep 2, 2006,
Blast my wretched pickups. I can get better tone out of my squire. How does this sound, super distortion bridge, HS3 middle, and tone zone neck pickups, all Dimarzio.
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
Look at the Marshall BluesBreakers. I am actually selling one I built. I built 2, I for myself and 1 to sell. Its an amazing overdrive pedal and I easily get that hard bluesy tone that your soundclip gave with it.

Bluesbreaker FTW! I have one and it is frickin smooth and creamy
Quote by Slash Jr.
Forgive me for asking this but what is a dirty sanchez??

Quote by Teh_Guitarer
bahahahahahahahaha nice find ForbiddenDonut. you're my man...
^-Definately. One of the nicest overdrives around. Its so versitile. You can get just a soft boost->a bluesy crunch->an extreme boost with tons of gain. Its amazing how much you can do with it. Check out the links in my signature for the BluesBreaker and most 4uzz soundclips. You can hear how nice it is.
Ok, update.

I got a boss md-2, and I reccommend it to anyone. It has more versatility than the metal zone, but it's waaay better than the ds-1 because it lets you have both bottom end and a good solo tone at the same time. Ingenius. It won't become either mud or mosquito. As a wise man at guitar center said, the ds-1 will give you some dirt, but it won't give you any balls.
Quote by mikeman
As a wise man at guitar center said, the ds-1 will give you some dirt, but it won't give you any balls.

Youre one lucky ass guy...you just met the only wise Guitar Center employee in the history of the world EV3R!
Not really, theres this english bloke who always helps me by shit. He's pretty funny.
^ lol yeah but the English are naturaly funny. I think its something they drink over there...

jk. lol
Oh, you've jus' gawt tew try dis one, Iz gawt ay-ric claptuns pi'cups in it.

/english accent.

He said that to me in his cockney accent, and I chuckled a little.
Last edited by mikeman at Sep 5, 2006,