Poll: p-90's vs. humbuckers
Poll Options
View poll results: p-90's vs. humbuckers
p-90
8 28%
humbucker
21 72%
Voters: 29.
It depends. Both are good for certain things. I love the bite P-90's have, but I love humbuckers as well, so I can't just say "Oh this kind is better," because it would depend entirely on what I'd be playing.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
The p-90 just has that "bite" to it. That more trebley, crunchy sound, while the humbucker has a more rounded and heavier sound.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
p90s are similar to humbuckers although have slightly less output (less gain) and they are quite trebly

i think
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
I noticed P-90's were hotter than the humbuckers as said before more bite and crunch. Humbuckers have a heavier sound and it's thick. Best advice I can give is try each one out and see what you like they're both great and it's just on what you prefer.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
^
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Well it depends.

p-90's has nice cleans and a great bite when distorted, but humbucekrs can also be aggressive and has a fat sound.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
what happens if you put one of each, like if i were to put a p90 in the bridge and a tony iomii in the neck, what do you think of this combo
would it be bad to mix the two?
i was thinking of keeping one p90 in the bridge position and put a tony iommi signature humbucker in the bridge, what do you think of ths
THat would be fine. Matt Bellamy has a P-90 in the neck of one of his guitars with a humbucker in the bridge.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
P90's are generally liked for punk, but 'buckers are liked for metal, alot of rock, and the like. P90's are also sopossedly good for Jazz.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
P-90s are single coil, humbuckers aren't, so they're completely different sounds.
Quote by eyeownyu
how about putting a angus young in the bridge and a tony iomii in the neck?

I have that exact combo^ the Angus young pup Has nice tone, High treble bite, Level mids, Clear bass, (if you didnt know any better you would swear it was mixed with the neck) All around great for almost anything, I use it for anything from tool to coheed and cambria to white stripes, if you want a good all around (Yet hot) pickup choose this for the bridge,

The tony iommi in nice and clear for being in the neck position, Heavy bass, clear mids and Just enough treble, if you wanna make the ground shake choose this for the neck,

if you mix them its like high treble aggressive bite, yet smooth mids, But enough bass to almost over shadow a bass guitar,

remember though this is with my vox, and my Favorite amp settings,

Both are great for clean and overdrive,
Last edited by Spade1 at Sep 1, 2006,
sweet, how is it, ive heard a tony iomii but what does the angus sound like compared to a normal humbucker
i find i can get more tones out of my p'90s but thats just for the stuff i like to play i guess lol,
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon