Okay, I've decided that I want to start messing around with Pedals. What's a good one for Beginners, maybe something with a lot of different settings but, like a sampler more or less?
i just got the boss overdrive pedal its no multi effects pedal but it sounds good for only 20 bucks
I have a friend in a band that has pretty good luck with Digitech, more specifically the BP-8 multi-FX processor. I would assume that the zoom 505 type for bass would be good, Zoom makes some pretty cool, very easy-to-use equipment. I myself prefer stompboxes, but for an all around pedal that can get you started with new stuff, multi fx is the way to go.

OCULARIS
www.the-eye-of-hell.com
I have the Digitech bp200, mutli effect pedals are alright, but I don't even use it anymore, trying to sell it.
boss flanger
MEMBER 6 OF I <3 Online Putt Putt Group
Puttsecks?
Quote by DoTheEvolution
I like peni better. It sounds funnier.
"a group of naked guys jumped me, I have never seen so much peni ."
he likes peni

Captain of the Rage Against the Myspace Club. PM Bloody Mary to enlist.
Yea get the cheapest multi effect pedal u can find. This will be helpful because you get to see a wide range of effects and mess around and have fun for a while.

However, as you grow as a bassist, you will realize it is ****. Maybe you wont ever even find that you need to use effects, but if you did, the quality from a multi fx is just not up to it. Then you can later buy singal effect pedals to get a better sound.

I bought a Digitech bp80 and it is pretty good. I used it for a while, has lots of effects and a drum machine too. It cost me 100 though, which i regret.

Maybe try to find something used, or look online and stuff rather than at guitar center.

Hope this helped.

How long have you been playing? hate to be a spoilsport but if you cant play bass, you shouldnt waste time with effects. It will distract you from the task at hand, which is getting good at bass. When you are good, you can play with effects. Do you know what a major triad is? If you dont, spend time learning some theory instead of trying to replicate Cliffs tone on Anathesia. Honestly, **** effects. Work your chops ! Then when you are playing and you think, damn this needs a touch OD.. thats when should buy a pedal. You are saying "I want a pedal, what shall i buy", so your aim is not to get a certain sound, but just to get a pedal. That's all wrong bro..
Quote by Applehead
How long have you been playing? hate to be a spoilsport but if you cant play bass, you shouldnt waste time with effects. It will distract you from the task at hand, which is getting good at bass. When you are good, you can play with effects. Do you know what a major triad is? If you dont, spend time learning some theory instead of trying to replicate Cliffs tone on Anathesia. Honestly, **** effects. Work your chops ! Then when you are playing and you think, damn this needs a touch OD.. thats when should buy a pedal. You are saying "I want a pedal, what shall i buy", so your aim is not to get a certain sound, but just to get a pedal. That's all wrong bro..

dude, as much as I respect what you are saying, different people do things in different ways, there's no "right" in what order you do stuff in order to play the bass. If I'm going well off the point you were trying to make, forgive me... but I started with effects quite early on, definately before I knew what a major triad is, and that has led me to create my own style of playing, which I like to call progressive and ethereal. By complimenting my learning with the use of effects, I now have a really good ear for whhat effects can be used when, if at all. I didn't use effects all the time while practicing, however.

Anyways, threadstarter, if your heart is set on getting a pedal, try the digitech bp80
Indeed they do, and i respect your position equally. However, any bass tutor would agree that effects before learning the basics of your instrument isn't best practice. Note the use of the term "best practice", by which i mean the conventional way of learning.

If you do want to use effects, try and only use them in your "Fun Time", not in the serious practice time. OD is the worst effect to use while practicing serious stuff as it makes you sloppy. You need to practice clean so you can hear what you are doing. Once the serious stuff is out of the way, by all means crank that OD up baby!!
Quote by Applehead
Indeed they do, and i respect your position equally. However, any bass tutor would agree that effects before learning the basics of your instrument isn't best practice. Note the use of the term "best practice", by which i mean the conventional way of learning.

If you do want to use effects, try and only use them in your "Fun Time", not in the serious practice time. OD is the worst effect to use while practicing serious stuff as it makes you sloppy. You need to practice clean so you can hear what you are doing. Once the serious stuff is out of the way, by all means crank that OD up baby!!

absolutely, basics are basics, and should be done before anything else.

This is what I love about us bassists... it's all about respect
I know, if this was the guitar forum you'd get "OMG!!!$*&£*&") FCKING NOOB, GO KILL YOURSELF, i PWN YOU ALL"

Or some such nonsense.
I suggest just looking online at the different types of effects that are available. Listen to clips and all. But try to stay away from multi-effect pedals. To me they're annoying and complicated.
ima go with the bp80 on this one too. for a beginners ear you wont notice the low quality of it and you'll be exposed to most bass effects, cept wah, but it has autowah if i remember right. ive tried it once its not too bad.
you'll get an idea of what effects your into, which in the long run would make a good investment.

and about beginners using effects, just as long as you know how much is too much effects then your fine. dont forget the basics like rhythm and technique and clean playing (as in no accidental mutes and junk). and yep besides that go crazy (im gonna get flamed for this watch).
Quote by hangyourself1
i just got the boss overdrive pedal its no multi effects pedal but it sounds good for only 20 bucks

U GOT ONE FOR 20 BUCKS!?
WHERE!?
Thanks a bunch everyone.
and to answer your questions about how long I've been playing. It's almost a year so I have a good grasp on what I'm doing, I'm not just some kid who hits a bass and says he can play. That said I'd also like to mention I've been taking lessons for about 9 months now also. So thanks for all the advice, it helped me a ton.
Get a Zoom 505 or a Digitech BP50

I've used a Digitech BP200 live and had no problems. Its okay for some stuff, but its a laugh for practising

Applehead, its a question of what you want to play, if I was teaching a kid who wanted to play nothing more then Motorhead, he'd have to learn to use overdrive, and use it properly and tone control is quite important, not so much as playing profecciency but....

Otherwise I do agree with you, if you want to get good, you need to be able to play everything cleanly, and you can only do that with a clean channel.
DIGITECH SYNTH/WAH, no reason other then i liked to get tripped in my band and they do the trick, also insane delay effects
Quote by el_ryano88
U GOT ONE FOR 20 BUCKS!?
WHERE!?

they go on ebay for $20-40 all the time. its really not that amazing... I bought mine for $35 I think it was.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by SocKo?
ima go with the bp80 on this one too. for a beginners ear you wont notice the low quality of it and you'll be exposed to most bass effects, cept wah, but it has autowah if i remember right. ive tried it once its not too bad.
you'll get an idea of what effects your into, which in the long run would make a good investment.

The bp80 has a wah pedal, you just need to programme the expression pedal correctly.
^oh **** it does hahaha.

i think i was thinking bp50 and bp200.
I resent that earlier comment, I got the "Cliff tone" and I love it. It pushes me to create a little more, and I have a familiar sound to **** with for fun and entertainment. But it isn't like I try to be just like Cliff, I just love the tone he got and I wanna push it further, my own way. Isn't that really what it's all about. Taking knowledge and music and spreading it further?
it was an example i used to try and highlight my point. But the threadstarter has already said he has been playing nearly a year and having lessons, so obviously he has the basics down and feels ready to start playing with effects. savvy?