hey i recently started playing an acoustic guitar. its been about 3 months now and the string sound is dull and dead.
i seriously need a new set of strings for my guitar.
except theres all these sizes and brands and all this other stuff i dont know about so now im confused on wich to get.

breakdown:
im looking for a string size that will give me the same sound as a brand new acoustic guitar. maybe a lil fuller and richer. please tell me what i should say to the guy at the counter. do i ask for light strings? medium strings? i have no clue and any help would be appreciated.

thanks.
Last edited by dannykang51 at Aug 31, 2006,
go for .12 gauge
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
the lighter the string, the easier it is to press down, bend, etc.

heavier strings give a fuller, brighter tone.

the heaviest i've seen around where i live (for acoustics, anyways) are mediums. i usually play martin SP (sustained playability) strings so i don't have to change them that often. i doubt they'll last 3 months, but they will certainly take a while before losing their tone.

but it's a matter of preference, really. try one type of string out, then in a few weeks when it's time to change them again, maybe try something else.
so what size to most brande new acoustics come in? as in gauge size and heavy/medium/light/etc.
Usually, 11s... which are light. I use 12s. They feel pretty heavy at first but you adjust quickly.
Looking for my India/Django.
well, unless u know how to set up ur guitar, its a good idea stay stay close to the gauge u have now.

if u like ur action the way it is now then i suggest u but the same guage but try a new brand (like elixers, coated strings)

if u think ur action is too low and ur getting fret buzz then maybe go a little heavier.

if ur action seems too high and u like to bend strings, then try a slightly lighter set.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011