So yes i need a new amp. my band is gunna start gigging soon and i want this amp to last. ive been checking out the Peavey XXX and the JCM 2000 TSL 100. My budget is roughly around 1000 USD. Im ok with combos but i heard some rumors that jcm tsl combo is unreliable as ****. Anyway, i play melodic metal, some metalcore and lots of smooth neck pickup stuff like vai, well attempting to vai...Any suggestions would be cool oh yea and i have an Ibanez RG1570 and a poser Les Paul with active EMGs.
TSL's can be a bitch to get set up right but once you've got each channel where you want it they can be pretty mighty. But for a JCM 2000 you'd wanna be sure you have a very nice cab because the 2000's can get a bit scratchy through the wrong speakers, either a Marshall with greenbacks or funnily enough, an Orange cab will do very nicely. If you don't really need 3 channels, have a look at a JCM 900 reissue or for a flat out metal amp a 5150 or Mesa Triple Rectifier.
I tried out the Jcm 2000 tsl stack at guitar center and it was cabbed up with a 1960a. i fiddled with the **** for like an hour an i still couldnt get te edge i wanted out of the lead channel. is it the cab or what? are there any better cabs that i should be on the lookout for?
...or for a flat out metal amp a 5150 or Mesa Triple Rectifier.

He said his budget is $1000.
That said Single is better.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
He said his budget is $1000.
That said Single is better.

Ah, whoops, disregard the 5150 and Mesa lol.

As for the guy talking about the TSL. They are notoriously a bicth to get right, just very fiddly, all it takes is time trust me, if it's edge you'reafter you'll be able to get it from a JCM2000. As for the cab question, look for anything loaded with celestions (if you can afford it) they're pretty good when it comes to delivering a wide frequency response, maybe have a look at a cab with some Bugera's in it, they have a slight accent in the top end which is nice if you want some cut. That's about all I can be bothered thinking of for now though. Good luck.
I wouldn't recommend a TSL for a gigging amp to behonest. I've heard alot about reliability and matenence problems. Plus if it took you longer than an hour to set up the tone you wanted for each channel, think of having to do that each time at soundcheck for the venue. I'd recommend a DSL (less knobs, better sound IMO) with a tubescreamer to push that bitch into Metal.
How are the DSL combos?
are they giggable???

Edit

Ive been checking out the Peavey XXX Combos too. Any good?
Rig

Electra poser Les Paul Fitted with EMGs
MT-2 Metal Zone (Gave away to a friend)
Peavey Bandit 65 SS Combo Amp (Gave away to a friend)
Peavey 5150 212 Combo Amp
Last edited by needurskullz at Sep 2, 2006,
Quote by needurskullz
I tried out the Jcm 2000 tsl stack at guitar center and it was cabbed up with a 1960a. i fiddled with the **** for like an hour an i still couldnt get te edge i wanted out of the lead channel. is it the cab or what? are there any better cabs that i should be on the lookout for?

yea i run my tsl through a soldano cab.