Morning fellas, ive had my Ibanez RG321MH for a couple of months now and am thinking of upgrading the pickups to something better.

Unfortunately im still classed as a noob when it comes to the subject of pickups. I find on my Ibanez that the neck pickup is great for heavy rock tone and the bridge pickup is good for lead solo's and clean rhythm sound.

Do you have to buy specific pickups that are also position specific on the guitar? i.e. some pickups are bridge only etc

Im after a neck pickup that has good, deep bass without being muddy and im also after a pickup that allows a classic rock sound ( think Black Sabbath / Iron Mainden ) but which can be both clean ( without effects ) and cleanly distorted ( with Amp / Pedal effects ) in the bridge position.

I hope all that lot makes sense to someone!

Thanks

Adam
There's no set rules, but some pickups are much more suited to nex position and some more to bridge. The genral rule is to have your highest output pickup in the bridge.

I'm a DiMarzio man myself (as anyone who's seen me post about pickups will know). For what you want, I'd look into a medium output in the bridge (I use a PAF Pro but maybe PAF Pro or an Air Norton) and a Vintage output in the neck (PAF or PAF classic would be a nice choice). If you're after a real screaming neck pickup maybe look at a Super Distorion in the bridge and a medium output bucker like the PAF Pro or FRED in the neck. Or for yet another nice option, a FRED in the bridge and an Air Norton in the neck.

Well there's a few ideas for you but like I said, just follow the idea of having your bridge pickup hotter than the neck and you're on the right track.
What Azn said. Your amp is THE most important part of your tone.
Get a good amp, good guitar then start worrying about your pickups.
Hamer USA Chapparal Custom, scalloped fretboard & Sustainiac
Hamer USA Chapparal Elite, Dragon Snakeskin finish
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Mesa 50/50 Stereo Power Amp
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ive got a Roland Cube-30, also got a Zoom G2 effects pedal connected to it.

Budget - not too sure really as i dont know what sort of prices pickups sell for. I cant see myself spending anything more than £200 for them. My guitar was only £200!!

Thanks

Adam
well then again you can always swap out the pickups and put them into another guitar granted if you have enough wires left over to do it of course
Whats the Ibanez RG321 like, is it a budget Ibanez?
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Laney 4x12 Cab
Quote by rockers73
Whats the Ibanez RG321 like, is it a budget Ibanez?

Mh=mahogany body otherwise its a bolt on. hardtail, 24 frets, bolt on, smooth neck, sexy feel, budget guitar
Hmm Sounds ok, Ibanez are generally good, the custom shop models are awesome.

I'm not one for pissing about with pickups, I did it when I was a noob once but then realised that if you save and get a good guitar you dont really have to bother so much considering your amp is the most important factor in your tone.
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Laney 4x12 Cab
Just Google'd Swineshead and had a look on their site.

Those two ( Venom / XBucker ) you mentioned sound great to me, really good clean tone and powerful when you want them to be. Also a lot cheaper than i thought they would be, about £45 each is good value.

Might opt for those two, the hardest choice will be picking a colour although im loving the glow in the dark finish.

What sort of music do you play by the way, just so i know what style of music the Swinesheads are being used for.

Thanks

Adam
Well I play mostly metal with a bit or rock. And by metal I mean Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth. The xbucker in the bridge will supply me this as I also play alot of high gain stuff. The Venom in the neck is for shred, as it is better for single notes, rather than chords. I thikn you might be better off with a warthog in the bridge, as it does metal and rock. EMAIL swineshead on the address given in "contact us" on their site, and tell them what tone you want. Do you pay shred? And do you play much cleans? As for colour, well Im just gonna go for the normal plastics, maybe green (I have the royal blue rg). But if you wanna spend a few more pounds on glow in the dark I dont see why not.

Yeah so just tell me do you play cleans, and do you play much shred?
"Play" might be the wrong word to use mate. "Try to Play" might better describe what i do.

Ive only really been practicing guitar for a couple of months so i cant really do that much other than the usual scales and a couple of songs. Im finding Lead stuff a lot easier than Rythm at the moment.

Im working my way through - Paranoid by Black Sabbath and Master Of Puppets by Metallica. Oh and i can also play Parisian Walkways by Gary Moore ( a bit of it anyway ) and the Top Gun Anthem ( dont laugh! ).

I just felt that a pickup change was in order as the standard ones fitted to my RG are a bit flat and bland.

Adam
Quote by AdamC
"Play" might be the wrong word to use mate. "Try to Play" might better describe what i do.

Ive only really been practicing guitar for a couple of months so i cant really do that much other than the usual scales and a couple of songs. Im finding Lead stuff a lot easier than Rythm at the moment.

Im working my way through - Paranoid by Black Sabbath and Master Of Puppets by Metallica. Oh and i can also play Parisian Walkways by Gary Moore ( a bit of it anyway ) and the Top Gun Anthem ( dont laugh! ).

I just felt that a pickup change was in order as the standard ones fitted to my RG are a bit flat and bland.

Adam

If you want a Sabbath/Priest sound in the bridge, I'd go for the Venom over the Xbucker. The Xbucker is better for modern, bassier sounds.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
^I think he should go for a warthog in the bridge, as the venom is aimed at shred, while the warthog is more versatile, it can cover rock and metal and should produce a sabbath/priest sound. I thought the venom was a more modern pup? PM Dave mc, hes a member here who has a warthog in the bridge, hes very helpful, hell be glad to tell you.
Thanks fellas, i was getting confused then with one person saying one thing and another saying the opposite.

The Warthog / Bridge and Venom / Neck combo sounds good to me.

Ill have another look at their website later on when i get out of work and listen to some of their sound files.

Adam
Have you guys heard/tried all these different pickup types?
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Laney 4x12 Cab
Got a link. Would'nt mind checking them out.
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Laney 4x12 Cab
Cheers mate, wiil check them out.
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Laney 4x12 Cab
Interesting, there made to order.

Do people rate this company then. I've just got a 7 string cheap, although its made of proper wood i expect the pickups to be cheap and nasty, so I may be in the market for some replacements if I like the guitar.
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Laney 4x12 Cab
Quote by duggyrocks
^I think he should go for a warthog in the bridge, as the venom is aimed at shred, while the warthog is more versatile, it can cover rock and metal and should produce a sabbath/priest sound. I thought the venom was a more modern pup? PM Dave mc, hes a member here who has a warthog in the bridge, hes very helpful, hell be glad to tell you.

I have a Venom, it can cover Sabbath and Priest etc no problem. It does modern stuff very well too, but I wouldn't call it a shred pickup.

Quote by rockers73
Interesting, there made to order.

Do people rate this company then. I've just got a 7 string cheap, although its made of proper wood i expect the pickups to be cheap and nasty, so I may be in the market for some replacements if I like the guitar.

I definitely rate them, and a lot of other people do too. They're not the absolute best pickups, but they're really cheap and really good too. Dave says they're better than Duncans, but I can't confirm that because I've never tried duncans
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
I have a Venom, it can cover Sabbath and Priest etc no problem. It does modern stuff very well too, but I wouldn't call it a shred pickup.

I emailed swineshead, and they said a venom in the neck would be best for shred, but thats in the neck so, um, yeah..............
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Mh=mahogany body otherwise its a bolt on. hardtail, 24 frets, bolt on, smooth neck, sexy feel, budget guitar

wthe rg321mh is a set neck, im nearly 100% positive bout that
hey, i'm thinking of buying the RG321MH too, it looks like a nice, good looking, cheap guitar but i think the pickups ain't that great... i think seymour duncan invader or EMG-hz4 pickup, its a bit of an investment but will make the kid scream...!! and yeah, lemme know what u think of the RG321MH too... i'm thinking of getting it soon...
PAF PRO sounds perfect for you in the neck. Maybe a tonezone in the bridge.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
I put a Dimebucker in my bridge. It sounds pretty good, definately improved it.

I'd recommend EMGs though. (81/85)
Quote by tronsbasscool
This is my 5th account and I still havn't made any friends

My Rig
ESP Viper 1000
Crate RFX120

<//////>~
Just checked my email and swineshead have replied.

They say for my style of music i would be better off buying a pair of Venoms, as this will allow the sort of range of tones that i want.

Would anyone agree with this? I thought you usually had two different pickups fitted to give greater tonal differences?

I told them how i like Sabbath / Maiden but i would also like to play stuff by Lynyrd Skynyrd and Clapton so i needed both deep, crunchy bass and another for clear tones.

Adam