Sorry if this has been posted before, but honestly who want to look through 28 pages to see if it has?

Anyway I was wonder if there are and good books that teach or give you a good start on Music Theory. I'd reall like to learn, though about taking some classes, but working full time, and not getting paid good for the full time job, kind of make it hard to go to school. Plus that takes away from my playing time, which makes me a angry person. Just think Michelle Tanner pissed and that me "YOUR IN BIG TROUBLE MISTER!"

Any informatoin wil be aprecated. Thank you for your time.

N. Mulder
BassCrue M.F.
there is a book called tonal harmony. its a college level theory book its more aimed at piano players and youll have to know how to read standard musical notation but it still applies to guitar.
ABRSM=Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music.

Get their books, take their exams they are great. The music difficulty level is divided in grades, that go from 1 through to eight. 1 is the simple stuff, basic theory, and it gets harder until you get to eight where you are composing and everything.

I recomend getting their music theory books as they have lots of exersises and is easy to understand. Search "Eric Taylor" on the net or in a library and you will see what they are.
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
^ ABRSM theory books includes reading sheet music, different clefs, time signatures , writing them etc....

You will only start learning modes and all that good stuff only at higher grades. Plus, you would have to memorize the italian terms..u know ...presto,piano,etc.

Im not sure what you're aiming to learn, theory-wise... But ABRSM syllabus requires you to learn everything. For the stuff needed to play music in a band, well then i dont recommend those books.

It depends on what you want to learn.
Quote by winkybear
^ ABRSM theory books includes reading sheet music, different clefs, time signatures , writing them etc....

You will only start learning modes and all that good stuff only at higher grades. Plus, you would have to memorize the italian terms..u know ...presto,piano,etc.

Im not sure what you're aiming to learn, theory-wise... But ABRSM syllabus requires you to learn everything. For the stuff needed to play music in a band, well then i dont recommend those books.

It depends on what you want to learn.

totally agree...
at the grade 4, I learned how to write a chromatic scale... I don't really see the pratical use of knowing how to write the chromatic scale...

Try jazz theory books.... that will help more...
Mark Levine - Jazz Theory

[/end thread]
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje