on the second page, there's a thread just like this...

Answer: NO!
Why? Search around... I know I've answered this question at least a couple of times so if you look around you'll find more than you need...

Regards,

Daan
Quote by John Swift
My neighbour bought his son a Mark Hoppus bass for Christmas, the set-up on it was terrible (the neck had so much bow they should have supplid arrows with it).

Its nice to be important, but its important to be nice...
Last edited by FunkMaster at Aug 31, 2006,
Answer: yes, but it'll sound crap, and if you push it too hard it might tear the speaker cone.

End of topic. there are hundreds of threads like this.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
I heard it's only the speaker. You can use the actual amp (guitar head), but need a bass cab. People were playing electric bass before bass amplifiers were invented.

Disclaimer: I might be wrong. It's likely tube amps that work like that. Do some research.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
you are right Caustic. The open-back design is what kills moste guitar amps. The amp itself is just an electrical circuit with an electrical current running trough it. It won't be damaged, same way that playing bass trough guitar peddals won't hurt them. Altough it could be that it won't sound good because the components that are used are optimized for guitar (different EQ, HPF etc.)
Since I'm in a good mood at this point:
Bass woofers are much sturdier for starters. They also need a closed back design so you can hear the bass. Most bass cabs are bass-reflex enclosures whereas guitarcabs are mostly open-back (tough some cabs are closed-back designs).
What mostly happens is this: You won't hear enough bass so you'll turn up the lows on the EQ. This means that the speaker is most likely to get more power than they can handle. The speakers will start moving more heavily, moving further backword and forward than they were designed for, and tear themselves appart.
That's pretty much it. I might be missing some things, but you get the idea right?

So you could play bass trough a guitar amp... but it's not designed for it.
The same way that a sportscar isn't designed for moving a lot of people, altough it could be done...
Quote by John Swift
My neighbour bought his son a Mark Hoppus bass for Christmas, the set-up on it was terrible (the neck had so much bow they should have supplid arrows with it).

Its nice to be important, but its important to be nice...
search before you post.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!