I see there is a misconception that strats are not for metal, well most would'nt consider them up there with Jacksons, Ibenez for the "metal sound". I have an American "fat" Strat. And I can get more crunch than most jacksons, Ibenezs ect. I think people assume strats are too bluesy or bubbly for metal. Well I just wanted to share that with the right amp, the are very versitile. The thing that sets them apart is the Fat neck on a strat. Those of you who play long sets will know this, they are wayyy more comfortable on your fret hand due to the diameter of the neck. I play only solid mapel necks as well, they are more smooth to me and have a better look. I hope this helps someone that is looking for an alternative to the "metal" guitars. And yes I do play hard rock, heavy metal.

Also, look at who plays strats:
Hendrix
Vaughn
Clapton
Jeff Beck
just to name a few.
"I am not mean, I just mean what I say"
"The Truth is Eternal"

I am working to put Michigans West Coast on the map. With my new studio: L E studios @copyright 2006.... set to open in fall of 2007
yes and im selling a strat on the classifieds page too
(shameless bit of marketing)
Quote by Sirnogbert
...Damn you.
well the reason people think they arent good for metal is because they are probly thinking of the standard strat with three singlecoils which would not handle metal well,
MY gear
Vintage v100 les paul.
POS Ion strat
Vox ad50vt
15 watt practice amp
Ibanez rg570
Its because they have single coil pickups and can't get that real heavy sound. And saying that they can get more crunch then most of the Ibanezs and Jacksons, you musn't have tried that many.
The standard strat isn't good for metal.

The fat strat is a different thing completely.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
2 words, IRON MAIDEN, yes they may not always use singles, the famous iron maiden is one with a fats strat and one with hotrails but they have been known to use regular singles, and also, during black sabbaths "Black Sabbath" album Iommi was using a strat for 1 or 2 songs

You can get a metal tone out of them with the right amp, you can et nearly any tone out of a strat
alder body and a maple neck is definitely not my choice for metal, too trebly IMO, an HSS guitar with a nice high output HB can do metal but there is definitely better and i wouldnt ever buy a strat if i wanted to play metal but yes the amp determines the majority of the guitars sound so the amp matters most
Most of you seem to know your sht about guitars. Like I said earlier the Fat Strat is much better for heavy grind sounds and choppy metal. In cover bands I have played Accept-Zombie and found my niche with my sound. That key to it, is gettting a universal sound that YOU like and is accepted by you and your audience, band ect. I do own other guitars, however I still more often than not use my American Fat Strat. It stays in tune also no matter how hard I rack on it. I cant say the same for my PRS or my Kramer which has locking tremlo as well. Anyone else notice that Real American strats stay in tune????

kinda says it all right there.

Big Paws
Guitarist, Lake Effect LLC.
[size="1]Copyright 2006
"The Truth is Eternal"

I am working to put Michigans West Coast on the map. With my new studio: L E studios @copyright 2006.... set to open in fall of 2007
I've got a modded American Standard and I don't notice any more tuning stability out of that than any of my other guitars. I also don't like the stock pickups on American Standard/American Series Strats.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Sep 1, 2006,
Its your strings then. Try super slinkys 09-42, let me know if you notice the diff then.
"The Truth is Eternal"

Quote by Punk_Ninja
2 words, IRON MAIDEN, yes they may not always use singles, the famous iron maiden is one with a fats strat and one with hotrails but they have been known to use regular singles, and also, during black sabbaths "Black Sabbath" album Iommi was using a strat for 1 or 2 songs

You can get a metal tone out of them with the right amp, you can et nearly any tone out of a strat

yes early Black Sabbath had a strat in them until Tony's guitar literally blew up and since it was hard to get another lefty strat at that time he switched to the SG which was originally his backup guitar but he used it regularly from then on. and yeh metal on a strat is possible but generally people stick to companys that have been reputable in the metal department
I hate Super Slinkys. I tried them several years ago and I find they rust out quickly and they aren't very good unless you change your strings about once a week. D'Addarios maintain their stability longer in my experience.
Hi, I'm Peter
super slinkys are the worst strings ever made IMO, the rust within days and never sound that good, D'Addarios last the longest and have pretty good tone but i like the tone of GHS Boomers the bet and they last reasonably long, IMO, ive never noticed american strats staying in tune better than any other guitar but im sure they stay in tune nicely
THey make them about 20 minutes from my house in Battle Creek, Michigan. I wouldn't use them if they handed them out, And yes they do if you visit the plant. The G string broke when I was tuning it, so I took em back, the same thing happened with the next set. Only it was the B string. Read the package of slinkys, alot of pros use them. I have been using some sort of ernie ball strings for the last 15 years if not more. I like Diaddaros, however they are alot more expensive. I do like the tone they have, but they arent worth the money to me. I go through a set every 3 weeks or so. So I get my moneys worth. I would say I have recieved consistency from their product, which is cool at 4 dollars a set. Again, TO EACH THEIR OWN, you may find somthing that works better for you. Good Luck.
Hope this helps anyone who is looking for good strings.

Also...for those of you with rusting strings, get outta the basment its damp down there.

All strings will rust. They do not have stainless steel ones.
"The Truth is Eternal"

ive recently found an obsession with SIT strings and theyre prettly slinky but not as much as Ernie Ball but still good nonetheless
Cool, I havent heard of or used SIT's. I wil try them out on one of my Gators, and let ya know in this fourm how they work for me. Thanks for the suggestion.

RIP croc hunter, you were a crazy one.
"The Truth is Eternal"

Yeah [sniff sniff] We love you Steve.

Anyway, to threadstarter, I love strats, but they could not get more crunch than my Radius's bridge pickup (thats an IBanez, by the way), the IBZ USA F3, which is the highest output Ibanez pickup, it is literally not possible because of the different levels of resistance (in Kohms). but I still love strats and hope to get a custom H-S-H see through white one with a reverse headstock and (yes i know cheesy( flame inlay)
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
you listed some people who used strats, but think who uses an LP, SG etc (we'll just say a gibson-style two humbucker mahogany guitar)

Les Paul
Jimmy Page
Slash
Zakk Wylde
Clapton
Hendrix
Judas Priest (Glen Tipton/ KK Downing)
Obviously Iommi, as you mentioned, etc...

and I find a lot of fender necks seem cramped at the lower frets (lol Dave nut width elitism :P)
1995 MIM Fender Strat
Breedlove AD25/SM Acoustic
Chandler Les Paul w/Duncan Alnico II-Pro & Pearly Gates
Little Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Crybaby
Vox AD50VT

Quote by CheeseMuffin909
Zakk Wylde.
He's like Elton John but with a guitar, more stylish clothes, and not gay.
Kirk Hammet used a strat on For Whom The Bell Tolls. Not sure if he did on the record, but he did live.
High as tits
How about we leave it at this...

Strats rule for everything other than metal.
yeah, I would definitely call Hendrix, Les Paul, and Clapton/Cream metal
1995 MIM Fender Strat
Breedlove AD25/SM Acoustic
Chandler Les Paul w/Duncan Alnico II-Pro & Pearly Gates
Little Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Crybaby
Vox AD50VT

Quote by CheeseMuffin909
Zakk Wylde.
He's like Elton John but with a guitar, more stylish clothes, and not gay.
Mikeman, I disagree, I respect your opinion but they are found in metal, and the fat strats are great for basically every genre, as said the metal Gods of Iron Maiden have used that strat and also Ritchie Blackmore
Quote by musiclover2399
Mikeman, I disagree, I respect your opinion but they are found in metal, and the fat strats are great for basically every genre, as said the metal Gods of Iron Maiden have used that strat and also Ritchie Blackmore

Thats because Fat Strats have humuckers, so that changes alot.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.