Hi guys.

I would like to start recording some of my own work, but im not sure how. My current set up is a fender fat strat with a vox ad30, normal crafter acousitc and i also have a pentium 4 pc. What else do i need. I do not have a lot of money but then im not expecting or wanting professional quality recording, just something to keep me and my friends happy. Any cheap recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help.
well for you, i'd probally say the line 6 toneport ux1, or ux2, depending on how much mic and line in slots you need, and then you'd need a mic or 2, again, how many mics you get depends on how much you need to record at one time. for a mic, i don't really now enough about them to recomend you one, maybe a sure sm57. and then for a recording program, for now you should just download audacity, its great for beginers at recording, it dosen't take up a lot of space on the computer, and its really easy to understand.
~gtrfrk

founder of the dunlop pick fan club

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett

"Let the good times roll"
its a computer interface. if you get a condenser mic (which i recomend cause its ment for recording),than it has condenser mic input(s) depending on if you get the ux1 or 2. the ux1 has a guitar input and a condenser mic input, the ux2 has 2 of each inputs, and you plug the toneport into your computer. now it depends on how much your gonna be recording at once, if you need to record 2 guitars at once, and possibly need 2 mics for vocals at once, you need the ux2, which i recomend because you never know if one of your friends or someone you know wants to record at the same time as you .

now if you're in a situation like me, where your probally gonna need to record a lot at once, a couple guitars and bass guitars, vocals and backing vocals, mic up some drums to be recorded, then you'll need an interface with a lot more inputs, such as a firepod i think they're called, and if you get one of those, youre gonna need more mics as well. go to musicians friend or watever website you use, and look at some of these things yourself, decide how much you'll be recording at once, hope i helped
~gtrfrk

founder of the dunlop pick fan club

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett

"Let the good times roll"
Thanks for the advice its all good. Just at the moment im pretty strapped for cash. Is there a 'cheaper' alternative? I do like the set up you recomended and i think i will eventually go toward that route, just not yet.
But he's got a vox amp! No need to waste it's awesome power by going direct. Get an M-Audio usb or firewire interface with an XLR input. Hook it up to your computer, then buy a Shure SM57 microphone and mount it infront of the cab of the amp. It'll sound awesome I'd think it'd cost $250 of less.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Ill only be recording one thing at a time. At a stretch one guitar and vocals together. It will be just me, no plans to work with anyone else. So it looks like i have two options?

The ux1
http://www.piedog.com/musical_instruments/pro_music_live/computer_music/computer_hardware/audio_interfaces/line_6-toneport_ux1.htm

or the m-audio ( is this the right one? )
http://www.piedog.com/musical_instruments/pro_music_live/computer_music/computer_hardware/audio_interfaces/m_audio-fast_track_usb.htm

So i still do not fully understand how this works, but what is the difference between the two choices? Muphin reccomended the m audio because of my amp, why is that? will my amp be connected somehow to the pc?

Sorry if i sound stupid, im not really (honest)
Quote by Ianbealessqeek
Ill only be recording one thing at a time. At a stretch one guitar and vocals together. It will be just me, no plans to work with anyone else. So it looks like i have two options?

The ux1
http://www.piedog.com/musical_instruments/pro_music_live/computer_music/computer_hardware/audio_interfaces/line_6-toneport_ux1.htm

or the m-audio ( is this the right one? )
http://www.piedog.com/musical_instruments/pro_music_live/computer_music/computer_hardware/audio_interfaces/m_audio-fast_track_usb.htm

So i still do not fully understand how this works, but what is the difference between the two choices? Muphin reccomended the m audio because of my amp, why is that? will my amp be connected somehow to the pc?

Sorry if i sound stupid, im not really (honest)

Get the MAudio because it has a microphone preamp. So you can plug a microphone into it. This is better for guitar because mic'd amps sound better than direct input does. I think recording a vox amp would sound better than recording directly from the pick-ups in your guitar.

So you need the MAudio, or any other interface that has at least one XLR input for a microphone, and then a Shure SM57 mic and stand to mount out front of the amp. It'll sound so much better than going direct.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation