so, i was looking at my fret board with the sun reflecting a certain way and it looked kind of grimy. not like, mold and crap...but like, there was a thin layer of some kind of build up on it.

should i clean my fret board with pledge or something...or just leave it go.
^^ , dont do that

lemon oil and a dry cloth if its a rosewood fretboard, that should get all of it off. if not, then after you have prepard the neck with lemon oil and rubbed off the excess, then use the edge of a credit card and gently scrape away
TAKE THE STRINGS OFF YOUR GUITAR AND PUT MASKING TAPE EITHER SIDE OF A FRET AND TAKE FINE STEEL WOOL, AND JUST GIVE IT A QUICK RUN, THEN DO THAT FOR ALL FRETS AND THEYLL BE LIKE NEW, sorry for caps lock, cant be arsed retyping it normal, lol
Yeah I usually just give it a wipe down with my "magic cloth" and Im being serious it's actually called a magic cloth lol

Not too sure about chemical usage though

"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being..."

~ C.G. Jung
Yeah taking the strings off is the best idea lol

"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being..."

~ C.G. Jung
yes take the strings off, make sure the neck is clean before you put new strings on. you might aswell clean the guitar whilst the strings are off too. check for loose screws/ loose nuts or any faults
You dont need to take the strings off, but it might make it easier to clean. Just get a clean cloth, some lemon oil and an old toothbrush and start scrubbing.
My Gear:
American Deluxe HSS Strat
Crate GT212
Vintage '66 Fender Champ Amp
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Vintage '74 MXR Script Phase 90
Vintage '77 MXR Flanger
Orange Squeezer (clone)
lemon juice can be used yeah, but wouldnt recomend it, with lemon oil more is added to it to protect the instrument better
Is lemon oil sold in guitar stores?
Moonchild of Rory Gallagher Fan Club PM dazzler16 to Join

Quote by PinkIsCool
UG- The only place where a heartwarming moment can easily be turned into an act of homosexuality and incest.

hey i was just wondering about taking the strings off, i have been told when replacing strings replace them one by one, and thats wot i do, like take of low e and replace it then a, because if you take off all the strings at once it puts strain on the neck which could alter your action because there are no strings giving the neck the right support? this true?
Does the lemon oil harm the rose wood? If yes, I need to use masking tape too right?
Quote by hendo123456789
invincibleneo - you are one of the only people in this thread that talk sense.
Quote by ch715dallat
hey i was just wondering about taking the strings off, i have been told when replacing strings replace them one by one, and thats wot i do, like take of low e and replace it then a, because if you take off all the strings at once it puts strain on the neck which could alter your action because there are no strings giving the neck the right support? this true?

This is true. I would not recommend taking off all of the strings at once. For each string taken out, clean that part of the fret board.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by Nelsean
This is true. I would not recommend taking off all of the strings at once. For each string taken out, clean that part of the fret board.

thanks man, i thought this was true, and i have always stuck by it but i watched this video on youtube and its showed the guy who works on foo fighters and tool and all those bands guitars and he had all the strings off when he was cleanin the frets and fretboard, but he bust have had a vice holding the neck or somethin,

and to the guy up the page a bit, lemon oil wont harm your fretboard wood its for the fretboard not the frets so why would you tape up the fretboard and apply it to your frets, lol, just put a small bit on a cloth and rub it into the wood but only if it needs it
^ you got the most awesome sig
Quote by hendo123456789
to ch715dallat, many people have their own way of restringing but aslong as all the strings are woud round atleast 3 times then its fine. if you take off all the strings off at once, by the time you replace them the neck will not have been effected by any tention loss at all, but if a guitar was left alone with no strings on for days/weeks then the neck is very likely to bow.
I totally have my guitar sitting without any strings on, and it will be like that till tomorrow night when I get more strings. And I cleaned my entire freboard. With steel wool. No masking tape. On anything. Well, I put a piece on top of the pickups to keep crap from getting all over them.

Just thought it was funny, becuase I clean my freboard completely oppositely to all the advice given in this thread...
i just use my pick through the strings to scrape all the **** off. is the black buld up dead skin ? or filth from my hands
Quote by AxeAbuser#2
to ch715dallat, many people have their own way of restringing but aslong as all the strings are woud round atleast 3 times then its fine. if you take off all the strings off at once, by the time you replace them the neck will not have been effected by any tention loss at all, but if a guitar was left alone with no strings on for days/weeks then the neck is very likely to bow.

thanks, that would make cleanin the fretboard alot eaier, lol.
Umm I got some white stuff on my fretboard bcoz it wasnt played for a while. Is it the same stuff u guys are refering to?

Also I cant find lemon oil anywhere.
Quote by hendo123456789
Quote by invincibleneo
Also I cant find lemon oil anywhere.

yeh i dont have any either, and my parents have never heard of it. where can you get this stuff from???
lemon juice works aswell. you dont need to soak the cloth in it either, a little goes a long way. the white stuff might be dust in the slits in the fretboard, im not 100% sure about that though. maybe try applying the oil/juice, working it into the grain the clear out the dirt
I found out and Jim Dunlop makes that, so go hunt.

After tht white stuff's gone, and my fret is cleaner.......is there any improvement in sound?
Quote by hendo123456789
When I clean my neck, I use lighter fluid and a terrycloth to get the grime off. Then I rub lemon oil into it with a felt cloth. It seems to work pretty well.
Quote by invincibleneo
I found out and Jim Dunlop makes that, so go hunt.

After tht white stuff's gone, and my fret is cleaner.......is there any improvement in sound?

improvement in sound is only really noticeable after cleaning because it depends on how dirty it was in the first place. when the frets are all brown/mucky then the notes/chords wont sound so clear or fresh. its always a good thing to wipe down the strings after paying so the string life will lengthen and they will stay new sounding for longer
Quote by Useful_Idiot16
I would eliminate my penis into threadstarter's mom's mouth.

/thread
Thanx man....I think all this data shd be collected and made into a article. Wht say?
Quote by hendo123456789