Hello i was wondering what a tube amp was and what a hybird amp was and what the difference is. Please do not tease me cos i dont know. Because after all the reason i joined ug was to ask question like this, ask questions about guitar and get good tabs. Thank you
tube uses tubes to drive the amp and hybrids have tubes in the preamp
Tube amps use vacuume tubes in the pre-amp and power-amp sections. Hybrid amps usually use a single pre-amp tube in the poweramp section (or vice versa, I can't remember)

"Hybrid" is basically a marketing ploy, the single tube doesn't make any significant difference in tone.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Krieg Commando
are tube amps lot better?

Not only yes, but "hell yes"
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
tube amps have preamp tubes and then the tubes to drive the power...hybrid amps only have the preamp tubes...so theres really no point of getting one..its still a solid state amp...
Fender CIJ Mustang
Fender Jagstang
Fender MIM Custom Telecaster
Fender MIM Strat
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender PT-100 Tuner
Boss SD-1
EH Small Clone
Vox Wah
Digitech Digidelay
Quote by Krieg Commando
are tube amps lot better?

The only reason tube amps are better for the time being is because people associate ss with fifteen watt fender frontmans and stuffl like. Modern Modelling technology has made it litterally impossible to tell the difference between a ss and a tube. Right now the technology for these next gen ss amps is in the higher end amps. Give it a few years when the technology can filter down to the $500-$800 and lower range, where most ugers shop, and then ask that question. By then tube amps will merely be a hassle.
George W. Bush for President 2012

We can do it if we work together!
^ Agreed. Just because an amp is labelled solid state doesnt mean its bad, I can name loads of decent solid state amps (including my Traynor ts100 212 combo, Fender Bronco, Roland jazz chorus). Again just because an amp is labelled "Valve" doesnt mean its super awesome either, there is such a thing as a bad valve amp. Same goes with Hybrid amps, I cant name any hybrid amps though other than the Marshall MF ... which isn't all that great.
More people recomend valve amps because a) They're easier to find and (b) There's more advantages having a valve amp (Break up sounds nicer, plentey of volume, generally aimed at semi-pro's). Usually your stuck to find a decent solid state amp that are aimed at non beginners because most of them are rare or expensive. Same with hybrid amps (Dont tell me that the vox VT is hybrid because its not a true hybrid), most of them are voiced for metal and some are bass amps to.
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Laney GH100L with Marhsall 1960BV
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
Last edited by StuC at Aug 31, 2006,
Quote by Krieg Commando
Hello i was wondering what a tube amp was and what a hybird amp was and what the difference is. Please do not tease me cos i dont know. Because after all the reason i joined ug was to ask question like this, ask questions about guitar and get good tabs. Thank you

Read and be educated...

http://home.cogeco.ca/~guitarequipmentguide/Amps/Amp_Basics.htm

And people who tell you tube amps rule and solid state amps suck are just plain idiots. There's a place for both.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by cubedeathk
The only reason tube amps are better for the time being is because people associate ss with fifteen watt fender frontmans and stuffl like. Modern Modelling technology has made it litterally impossible to tell the difference between a ss and a tube. Right now the technology for these next gen ss amps is in the higher end amps. Give it a few years when the technology can filter down to the $500-$800 and lower range, where most ugers shop, and then ask that question. By then tube amps will merely be a hassle.

Meh...Solid State amps really need to start developing their own sound and playing to strengths of the transistor. If I want a tube sound, I'll buy a tube amp. Just look at the JC-120, it doesn't sound like a tube amp and it doesn't try to, it plays to the strengths of the solid state system and gives extremely clear and bright cleans that you'd never get with a tube amp.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Meh...Solid State amps really need to start developing their own sound and playing to strengths of the transistor. If I want a tube sound, I'll buy a tube amp. Just look at the JC-120, it doesn't ...

True, but it's the persistent myth that solid state tone sucks and tube amps rule that drive the market like this. These modelling amps are there to cater to the ignorant masses who blindly believe this. Eventually, you'll get tube amps, and modelling amps. Regular solid state amps will be much rarer...

Then again, there's nothing wrong with a good modelling amp either...
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by Crunchmeister
True, but it's the persistent myth that solid state tone sucks and tube amps rule that drive the market like this. These modelling amps are there to cater to the ignorant masses who blindly believe this. Eventually, you'll get tube amps, and modelling amps. Regular solid state amps will be much rarer...

Then again, there's nothing wrong with a good modelling amp either...

Solid State tone may not suck, but you have to admit, there's a reason tube amps have the reputation they do. Even the highest quality solid states would have trouble produce the warm and smooth breakup of a quality tube amp. Not to mention you have a lot more dynamic control over the notes you're playing.