I hate to say it but i cant slap at all i was wondering if any body had some good and diffrent ways to do it
use the side of your thumb. they have something about it in the Fender Player's Club under the beginning section, i believe.
Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy
well instead of keeping my hand in that fist like position, i usually play slap with an open hand. it seems to allow me to play faster without the use of my second finger or having to double-thumb.
I learnt by pretending the string was on fire. I had to touch it, then get my thumb the holl off of there! You can get good slap tones this way
my slap hand looks pretty much like fleas im deffinetly not sayin im as good at him becuz i know that i am 100% no where near as good im just sayin my hand looks like his when i slap.
were all a bunch of brothers livin in a cool way along with 6 million others in a place called L.A. --out in L.A. by rhcp
Position your hand like you're giving a thumbs up... make your thumb parallel to the string you want to slap, and the bend in your thumb should be what hits the string..
i suck at slapping also... just try to stay quick and light. use your pointer finger to pluck the D string, and your middle to pluck the G string (HA i said G string) hit your thumb right behind the start of the neck and pull off as you start to come down. doesnt make sense, but youll understand soon. watch some videos on youtube maybe?
ya watch some videos on youtube as said above^^ also i learned to slap from a DVD that flea stared in call FLEA:adventures in spontanious improvisation, or something like that i dont really remember i just remember it saying FLEA in bold letters if ya see it grab it its helpful and AMAZING!
were all a bunch of brothers livin in a cool way along with 6 million others in a place called L.A. --out in L.A. by rhcp
The correct slapping position is that your hand should look like you are reaching out to shake someones hand, but with your fingers bent inwards towards your palm. Your hand should be relaxed but not loose, and the motion should all be in your wrist. Your elbow should not move at all from it's position. Hit it with the side of the thumb. not too hard, and remember you are "slapping" the string, so the longer you leave the thumb on the string, the more it kills the note. For the pop, don't press down too hard on the string, you want about 3/4 of what you normally do to fret a note. This is so the note gets a percussive sound with the pitch.

good luck
Quote by parker_muse
I learnt by pretending the string was on fire. I had to touch it, then get my thumb the holl off of there! You can get good slap tones this way

You believe how much that little piece of advice just helped me... thank you
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
If your style is going to be a Flea like slappy/poppy/funkadelic awesomefest, then slap with the side of your thumb close to the neck. OR, if ur going to be playing a nast/shreddy/crunchy/hammering/orgasmifying metalfest...well you can use the side of your thumb down close to the bridge. its really just a matter of what your preferance is
Member of the SOAD Fan club.

sdrawkcab gnidaer pots

DeviantArt
Quote by BodaciousZac
"Noob can't even kill level 2 boars."
Originally Posted by clincher09
just might be testicular cancer, but I bet you'd give your left nut not to have cancer
Not to invade this guys thread...
But what part of the string am I meant to be hitting? Like, hitting it from the top or the front? Cause when I hit the front I hear it hitting the neck, spesh when I'm trying to fret and the same time. Or am I just not moving my thumb fast enough?
If someone answers this I'll be so damn grateful

-Matthew Arnold

Put your thumb parallel with whatever string you are trying to hit. raise your thumb and bring it down HAAARD. immediately bring it up. remember...its on fire...fire BAAAD. You should either slap a little past the last fret or on the..hmm....21? or the fret before the last.

ill make a little video tut right now!

sdrawkcab gnidaer pots

DeviantArt
Quote by BodaciousZac
just might be testicular cancer, but I bet you'd give your left nut not to have cancer
Last edited by GreenPhantom at Sep 3, 2006,
Cheers mate =D
Another question... am I meant to hear it hit the fret board so I get a weirdo twangy sound? Or not? It's so confusing =(

-Matthew Arnold

Twangy is good.

http://media.putfile.com/Slap-Tutorial

Nothing special, just showing basic slap. My hand looks kind of odd in that position but thats how i slap. hope this helps!

Quote by Stiffy Maximus
the best way to slap is with your hand

no do it with your package...i wonder

sdrawkcab gnidaer pots

DeviantArt
Quote by BodaciousZac
Quote by GreenPhantom
Twangy is good.

http://media.putfile.com/Slap-Tutorial

Nothing special, just showing basic slap. My hand looks kind of odd in that position but thats how i slap. hope this helps!

no do it with your package...i wonder

Ahah... I think I got it now. Thanks dude

And I don't have a package, so i still can't be as cool

-Matthew Arnold

Use the power of the flap, padawan...

sdrawkcab gnidaer pots

DeviantArt
Quote by BodaciousZac
Hey DinkyDaisy, I believe we know each other

In a more "on topic" thing, I cant slap either. I find confusing how its been describes as your thumb being both parallel and perpendicular to the string.
There are a few ways to slap, the "PROPER" way is what Applehead said, but people have come up with other variations. I slap open hand, I find that I slap faster that way and make it sound better, but popping is another question for me. =P
^ that's because your hand is open, so you are having to make two seperate movements. The pop should be a product of the slap. So when you hand recoils from the slap, the pop happens.
I will record a few slap grooves for you to practice if you want a bit later.. and include some exercises i do..
Quote by Applehead
^ that's because your hand is open, so you are having to make two seperate movements. The pop should be a product of the slap. So when you hand recoils from the slap, the pop happens.

my hand curls into a fist except for my index, which kinda comes out a bit to try and pop. sometimes my entire hand is open and my index is hooked around a bit. both have advantages and disadvantages, usually for flexability or power
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by Flea jr
well instead of keeping my hand in that fist like position, i usually play slap with an open hand. it seems to allow me to play faster without the use of my second finger or having to double-thumb.

i dont do the open hand thing too much cuz it looks sorta sloppy. the propper technique ("Flea" style) works the best IMO
Quote by IndieMetalhead
my hand curls into a fist except for my index, which kinda comes out a bit to try and pop. sometimes my entire hand is open and my index is hooked around a bit. both have advantages and disadvantages, usually for flexability or power

You're going to want to practice popping with your middle finger as well, because it allows for easier playing in fast popping sections.
The basics of slapping are using middle joint of your phone positioned sides ways on the E and A string, and on the D and G string, you literatelly pull the strings and let go quickly, which is known as popping.
Quote by Applehead

exactly. you should be turning your wrist, not moving your thumb. when you slap right, your thumb will bounce off the string and turn your wrist, putting your fore and middle fingers in position to pull up on the lower strings and slap.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Quote by smb
Don't! Play properly!

if he wants to slap, let him slap. whats it to you smb?
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Quote by crazypeanutman
if he wants to slap, let him slap. whats it to you smb?

I'm only messing around!
Quote by Applehead
The correct slapping position is that your hand should look like you are reaching out to shake someones hand, but with your fingers bent inwards towards your palm. Your hand should be relaxed but not loose, and the motion should all be in your wrist. Your elbow should not move at all from it's position. Hit it with the side of the thumb. not too hard, and remember you are "slapping" the string, so the longer you leave the thumb on the string, the more it kills the note. For the pop, don't press down too hard on the string, you want about 3/4 of what you normally do to fret a note. This is so the note gets a percussive sound with the pitch.

good luck

Yea, I saw in a Primus video that Les Claypool slaps like that, I call it monkey fist though. Just because the way your fingers are bent inwards.

But I also saw him tapping the bass too. In the video for "Jerry Was a Racecar Diver" he looked like he was tapping, but it still sounded like slap bass....
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by dinkydaisy
Ahah... I think I got it now. Thanks dude

And I don't have a package, so i still can't be as cool

titties?