Ok so i had a thread in the pit saying what should play for a birthday ive been playin for maybe 8 months and i was suggested improvising happy birthday and also improvise a scale..

now ima guitar noob with quite a bit of time right now on my hands and when i started off i was jus lookin up tabs and learnin them and still do but i know i made a giant mistake well that was mistake number two the first one was buying the crappy guitar from costco lol anyways

i have been lookin up scales and stuff here on UG and well i thought hm I shoudl have learned chords first to understand right? because all i hear is that if you improvise or sumtin you need to have a chord progression which i understand is chords played in the right progression right? i know a few chords dont know which they are though

so if you didnt understand any of that ill make it simple on what i wanna know

first of all how can i streatch the song happy birthday out like its so short what can i do to WOW the indian/little kid croud...

also ive been told to play a scale and improvise any ideas on that? im a newb to music theory but i think i got the chromatic scale down as i play clarinet for my school...

sorry if there is grammar errors and spelling and the help is very appreciated im in quite a pickle >.>
VOX AD50 VT+crappy "Fender" from COSTCO!=ok tone!
I need a new guitar
I assume that the happy birthday song is in a major key.. so first you need to learn the major scale, I recommend learning the minor scale also just in case - that will help you to improvise other than that... just do what Jimi did to the Star Spangled Banner and tear it up man
RIP SYD BARRETT (1946-2006) Shine on...

Modified Fender Stratocaster, MIM, hot rails in the bridge
Crate 2x12 combo w/ Celestion speakers
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Wah
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Digitech DigiDelay
BOSS PH-3 Phase Shifter
should i just look that up on UG here?

C Major (Ionian) WWHWWWH
Type 1
---------------------------------------------------------7---8---
------------------------------------------------8---10-----------
-----------------------------------7---9---10--------------------
----------------------7---9---10---------------------------------
---------7---8---10----------------------------------------------
8---10-----------------------------------------------------------

and

C Natural Minor (Aeolian) WHWWHWW
Type 1
---------------------------------------------------------------------(8)---
------------------------------------------------------------9---11---------
----------------------------------------------8---10---12------------------
------------------------------8---(10)---12--------------------------------
----------------8---10---11------------------------------------------------
(8)---10---11--------------------------------------------------------------

?

you say learn those and just mess around i really dont understand improvising itself liek i can play the notes on one of the scales in any order adding bends slides and etc?
I need a new guitar
sumtin like tht.........but it helps if u play slowly and create tunes in ur head and try to find the notes on the scale your using........it takes time ,but u'll get there
i have until next saturday and i will be out of town for three days =/
I need a new guitar
Quote by BlackLotusFox
I assume that the happy birthday song is in a major key.. so first you need to learn the major scale...
I respectfully disagree. The first thing this inexperienced improviser needs to do is learn the melody cold. Then and only then will he or she be in a position to improvise meaningfully.
I recommend learning the minor scale also just in case - that will help you to improvise...
Good advice.
... other than that just do what Jimi did to the Star Spangled Banner and tear it up man
You can be quite sure that Jimi knew the melody to The Star-Spangled Banner extremely well before he started thinking about how he'd improvise on it. By the way, he also did the same thing with the British national anthem, God Save the Queen.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
well the happy birthday song is fairly easy and theres plenty of good tabs on UG but how do i stretch it out like with a scale jus mix it in like in the middle?
I need a new guitar
Quote by Ka$h
well the happy birthday song is fairly easy and theres plenty of good tabs on UG but how do i stretch it out like with a scale jus mix it in like in the middle?
Good - you can now play the Happy Birthday melody comfortably.

Your next step is answer this question: "What is the chord structure of Happy Birthday?
Quote by Freepower
Quote by gpb0216
Good - you can now play the Happy Birthday melody comfortably.

Your next step is answer this question: "What is the chord structure of Happy Birthday?

i honestly dont know
I need a new guitar
Happy Birthday is in 3/4 time. Here's its chord structure:

I - V - V7 - I - IV - I - V - I

I've attached a graphic showing the song in standard notation. Do you understand this?
Attachments:
Happy-Birthday.JPG
Quote by Freepower
^so those are the chords right?

liek i said im a newb but appreciate the help so thats how the song goes i understand the 3/4 times thing

but thats how it goes right? now what
I need a new guitar
Quote by Ka$h
^so those are the chords right?
Those are the chords in the key of G major
like i said im a newb but appreciate the help so thats how the song goes i understand the 3/4 times thing but thats how it goes right? now what?
If you were my student I'd now have you learn two-octave arpeggios and the modes for those chords. Bear in mind that we're talking about a strictly mechanical approach to this challenge right now. Nobody in their right mind is going to play two-octave arpeggios and straight-ahead modes over Happy Birthday's chord structure and think they're making music. We're simply laying a foundation at this point. Does that make sense?
Quote by Freepower
Quote by gpb0216
Those are the chords in the key of G major
If you were my student I'd now have you learn two-octave arpeggios and the modes for those chords. Bear in mind that we're talking about a strictly mechanical approach to this challenge right now. Nobody in their right mind is going to play two-octave arpeggios and straight-ahead modes over Happy Birthday's chord structure and think they're making music. We're simply laying a foundation at this point. Does that make sense?

yeah i get it what your saying if i were to play it i shouldnt be playing two-octave arpeggios and straight-ahead nodes

O and i wont reply to the PM jus talk here?
I need a new guitar
Yes, let's just work this out here.
Quote by Freepower
Ok so I understand about the structure now .. and so what do I do next
I need a new guitar
So are you comfortable playing two-octave G, C, D and D7 arpeggios and G Ionian, C Lydian and D Mixolydian modes?

If you're not, your next step is to practice these elements until you feel very confident playing them. I encourage you to work with a buddy here - have your friend play the chords while you play the arpeggios and modes and then swap. You'll very quickly find out just how solid you are on these elements when you're playing them with somebody else.

And please remember we're pretending you're my student. If you're already working with a teacher, ignore what I'm telling you and go with what he or she says. The last thing I want to do is screw up your student/teacher relationship.
Quote by Freepower
Quote by gpb0216
So are you comfortable playing two-octave G, C, D and D7 arpeggios and G Ionian, C Lydian and D Mixolydian modes?

If you're not, your next step is to practice these elements until you feel very confident playing them. I encourage you to work with a buddy here - have your friend play the chords while you play the arpeggios and modes and then swap. You'll very quickly find out just how solid you are on these elements when you're playing them with somebody else.

And please remember we're pretending you're my student. If you're already working with a teacher, ignore what I'm telling you and go with what he or she says. The last thing I want to do is screw up your student/teacher relationship.

I actually dont know how to play them lol

they are chords correct? I dont have any freinds who i can meet up with who play guitar so yeah great idea though.... and no I dont have a teacher at all lol im self taught thats why I barely know any of this
I need a new guitar
Quote by Ka$h
...they are chords correct?
Yes. Let's start here...

Arpeggios
G major: G B D G B D G
C major: C E G C E G C
D major: D F# A D F# A D
D7: D F# A C D F# A C D

Modes
G Ionian: G A B C D E F# G
C Lydian: C D E F# G A B C
D Mixolydian: D E F# G A B C D

Practice these elements all over your fingerboard. Start the arpeggios on every different chord tone. For example, start the D7 arpeggio on F# and play F# G A B C D E F#.

Your goal here is to push your knowledge of these elements to the extreme range of your fingerboard in both directions. For example, learn the C major arpeggio all the way from the open 6th string (E) to the very highest tone on your guitar, normally the 20th fret on the first string (C).

Again, you won't be ready to astound your friends with a Jimi Hendrix-like solo over Happy Birthday for a while yet. What we're doing here is laying a foundation that will give you the opportunity to blow their socks off later. Learning to play a musical instrument is all about discipline, listening and patient, perfect practice. This is where it starts, my friend.

So let's pause here to give you time to get some of this in your ears and under your fingers. Put in some quality time practicing this and then come back and open a new thread with the questions you'll have when you're a little farther along the path.

Good luck and all the best,
gpb
Quote by Freepower
Thanks you SO MUCH You have been a great help to me so play all those up and down till they stick like glue and i know them as good as I know my name? got it lol
I need a new guitar