I have a mexican strat, not sure what year. Since i got it i noticed that id does not have the best sound on distortion. Nor while playing clean. Do strats have an issue with the pickups being crappy or is it just my guitar. Also, would changing them be a wise choice or should i trade it in for a different guitar. What kind of single coils are there that are not too expensive but will produce a good sound?
what amp are u using?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
MIM pickups are pretty decent actually. They are definitely good enough to make good music with. But if your ears demand a more refined or more specified tone, you can easily switch them. Remember that most of the tone comes from your amp and from how you set up your amp.

Btw, if you want good distortion, you might want to look into getting a humbucker. Single coils are just too low-output.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

It could be your a number of technical things, or could just be single coils aren't the pickup for you. What kind of "not the best sound" is it? Are they weak and low volume, or just less beefy and fat?

My mexican strat sounds amazing. It's probably something with yours, your amp, or your ears.
Quote by Armored Artist
MIM pickups are pretty decent actually. They are definitely good enough to make good music with. But if your ears demand a more refined or more specified tone, you can easily switch them. Remember that most of the tone comes from your amp and from how you set up your amp.

Btw, if you want good distortion, you might want to look into getting a humbucker. Single coils are just too low-output.

Just curious, but how do you put Humbuckers in a strat when its set up for single coiled pickups? do i change the pickguard to one that has holes for humbuckers?

Also, i am using a Line6 Spider II amp. I can get a Beautiful sound from my Jackson DXMG, but not from the fender.
Fender Strat+tube amp =

Fender Strat + Line 6 = ****
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
Quote by italyjerry
It could be your a number of technical things, or could just be single coils aren't the pickup for you. What kind of "not the best sound" is it? Are they weak and low volume, or just less beefy and fat?

My mexican strat sounds amazing. It's probably something with yours, your amp, or your ears.

It sounds week and not beefy at all. The guitar is perfectly in tune.
They sound...crappy. I can get a great fat beefy sound with the jackson. So mabey i should just switch the fender pickups. This fender is almost making me not want to play a strat again, but i keep hearing how amazing they are. The volume is fine. I can get it really loud.
You would need to get a new HSS pickguard if you wanted to install a humbucker.

The Spider is a modelling amp, which means it can be very tricky to get the sound you want. Different guitars/pickups require different amp settings.

Single coils can be very frustrating, so play around with it and look up some good amp settings on the internet.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

do u want a vintage sound? then maybe Lace sensor pickups.
do u want hot sound? texas specials, or maybe rails or stacked mini humbuckers.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011