I was wondering if anyone could give me some first hand advice on the ZR trem on the ibanez s470.

I heard it doesnt have as much range as other locking trems but is it alot or is it barely noticeable?

thanks
A buncha links in my sig for ya.

Quote by me
ZR. Everything has been said about it, and lots of half-truths. ZR is smooth, has uniform action, a backstop, and a very low profile. It's comfortable to palm mute, and it's tense enough to not move during bends and extreme strumming. It has a built-in intonation tool (for which you will thank whichever deity you believe in), and a backstop (easily removable). ZR does not have a short range. The lower range of ZR bridge is explained by the shallow trem cavity of the S body. In, say, RG, ZR would pull you up five frets. In S, around three, with any trem, be it ZR, Lo-TRS, or Edge. Keep that in mind when you're buying S series. The only ZR con I can think of is a screw-in arm. I would much prefer Edge-like punch-in.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
i have a modified s470 with a zr trem...there is a bit of a limit on it to tell you the truth, which is especially annoying with a guitar that only has 22 frets...but to make up for it, its encredibly smooth, and gos out of tune waaaaaaaaaaaay slower than other locking trems, including floyd rose....on the whole im very very happy with it
Quote by denied
i have a modified s470 with a zr trem...there is a bit of a limit on it to tell you the truth,

Balls to that... im a proud owner of an Ibanez S470 and i wouldn't swap the trem for any other. Its one of the best i've every played on. There no limit.... dive bombs are a sinch! And you can bend the notes all the way up til the frekin strings snap.

Then theres the fine tuners, my guitar has stayed in tune for a month, with me constantly playing on it and it is still in perfect tuning. i havn't had to adjust it at all!!!!

I would recomend this guitar to anyone. Some guitars double its price are crud compared with it. You'll probably die well before this guitar craps up on ya.
Have to agree, the reach seems just as good as other FR trems to me - I can make the low E so slack it sticks to the open polepiece on my middle coil, and upward reach is pretty much all the way until you snap a string. If you want slightly more reach than normal, you can just screw in the bar so its only just in and tighten the screw on it to give you an extra 1/2" of dive against the body. I do think the action of the trem does feel much tighter than normal as you hit the the extremes though.
Ibanez S470 (Condor/Pyro/Warthog)
Rockafeller Custom
Laney Lionheart L20H
Framus FR212CB
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss DS-1 (Monte Allum Mod)
Boss DD-6
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone
Dunlop/MXR Phase 90 (Full Script mod)
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+
s470 rule, ZR trems are the best, end of discussion

Gibson SG (Heavily modded)
Fender USA Strat
Hohner 12 String-uber rare

Fender Silverface Twin

EHX Big Muff
Digitech badmonkey overdrive
Boss DS-1
Blackstar Distortion X
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Delay
Digitech Whammy
Quote by MetalMilitia212
do you know how to improve the range on an S?

Short of routing a deeper trem cavity (a couple millimeters would be possible), not really. You could raise the bridge, but that'll send your action too high.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by MetalMilitia212
do you know how to improve the range on an S?

S470 DXQM, same as me, sick guitar with the best colour in the world!!!

rite to business. Well the adjustable spring tenstion on the back, this ajust the tension in the trem, and also the height of the action!!! I have mine almost to the complete negative... does me fine.

try adjustin the tension until you get the rite combination of tension and action.

Ope that helps
Quote by absoluteguitar
S470 DXQM, same as me, sick guitar with the best colour in the world!!!

rite to business. Well the adjustable spring tenstion on the back, this ajust the tension in the trem, and also the height of the action!!! I have mine almost to the complete negative... does me fine.

try adjustin the tension until you get the rite combination of tension and action.

Ope that helps

thanks, I'll try that.

BTW, I just checked mine, The highest I go is 6-7 frets, not 3.
Dickless.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
BTW, I just checked mine, The highest I go is 6-7 frets, not 3.

From which fret? My RG goes open to A on high E, or twelfth E to ultrasonic on the same string. My S540 goes to G# from open. Both are strung with 9s. ZR range is slightly shorter, regardless.