Well I've decided to put some new pickups in my strat. At first i was going to put a Dimarzio X2N in the bridge, but then i started wondering if i could put EMG 81 in the bridge. Is that possible cause my other pickups aren't active?

Thanks
Vocals Wanted For:
Tool-Sober, Aenema
Led Zeppelin-The Ocean
Audioslave-Cochise
Sublime-Santeria
Rush-Tom Sawyer, Fly By Night, Limelight
Assorted Original Acoustics

PM if interested
yes, you can combine active and non active. i have emg 81 and 8, and a passive single coil. the single coil sounds a tiny bit brighter, but hardly noticable, and if anything, an improvement. the one difference is that the emgs, being active, have a greater output. so when i switch to the single coil, the volume turns down pretty far. i find it usefull, but if could be something to think about..
It's possible, but is a massive pain in the arse. A hell of a lot of wiring needs to be done and you'll need two sets of volume and tone pots.
Quote by codybcool
It's possible, but is a massive pain in the arse. A hell of a lot of wiring needs to be done and you'll need two sets of volume and tone pots.

Case In Point, get a Les Paul Standard.
You can get 2 81's put in a Strat Style pick guard. It's Kirk Hammet's set-up (I guess...).

Check out EMG's website. They have all kinds of pickups for a strat.
Click Bitch!
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

EMG's suck.

Before you make a final decision, check out bareknucklepickups.co.uk

They have high output passive single coils as well as sets, etc.
Quote by i_baked_cookies
EMG's suck.

They have high output passive single coils as well as sets, etc.

Well, just because you like other pickups doesn't mean that every other brand sucks...

EMG's have their own unique sound, just like any other brand does. But you'll find that EMG's do limit what style of music you can play and still have it sound good. But if you only play what the pickup is made for, then you are set!
- FJ

If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Quote by flyingjew34
Well, just because you like other pickups doesn't mean that every other brand sucks...

EMG's have their own unique sound, just like any other brand does. But you'll find that EMG's do limit what style of music you can play and still have it sound good. But if you only play what the pickup is made for, then you are set!

Haha, I never said every other brand sucks man... are you nuts? I love Duncans and Dimarizos are okay from my experience. And yes, I realize EMGs have their own unique sound, as do most other pickups... it's just that EMGs have no tone. And tone is always a good thing.
^Baa! They have plenty of tone.
- FJ

So would an Dimarzio X2N be better than EMG 81 for the bridge of my guitar(i was using my friends acount when i made this thread)(notice the strat in my sig)My plan right now is to move my Hot rail in the bridge to middle, buy another for the neck cause i really like the hotrails and then get either an X2N or 81 in the bridge.

Ill be getting my local guitar shop to do all the installition, but would it even be worth it cause i bet it would cost a lot?And how would 2 sets of volume and tone knobs work

I live in canada and im only going to be ordering them of www.axemusic.com or www.lamusic.com

So what would i be better of getting the Dimarzio X2N or EMG 81? I do play mostly metelish stuff like Lamb of God, Trivium,Children of Bodom and others.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated cause i have no idea what i should do

Thanks
Rig:
Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Red
Fender Highway One Strat w/ 2 Seymour Duncan Hot Rails & Dimarzio X2N

Boss SD-1
Boss TU-2
Traynor YCV50 Blue
Really, you should find a way to test them both out. As far as pickups go, it's all a matter of personal preference.
- FJ

Ya i won't be able to test them out so basically where I'm at is should i get the Dimarzio X2N or EMG 81, and advice would be great because i dont know very much about pickups and some people say EMGs are great and other say their crap and lack tone so im rather confused on what to do
Rig:
Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Red
Fender Highway One Strat w/ 2 Seymour Duncan Hot Rails & Dimarzio X2N

Boss SD-1
Boss TU-2
Traynor YCV50 Blue