do a search, plenty of lessons about them. basically brush the string with your thumb while picking
Jackson RR Professional, early 90's japanese model, with EMG's

Digitech GNX3000

Crate GX 212
The basic idea is to pick the string with both your thumb and the pick at the same time.

Play around and find the exact technique that works best.

Start fretting the 12th fret on the G string, and then playing, that's where I find it easiest.

And turn up the distortion till you get the hang of it, then try doing it with less.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Just "choke up" on the pick... pinch it near the bottom so that the bottom of the two fingers pinched together leaves some sticking out. When you strike the string, follow through so that the bottom of the two fingers brushes the string. I find the best notes to play are on the fifth fret G string (sounds great without alot of bends thrown in), and anything from 1-5th fret on E, A or D.
I sometimes find it difficult to pinch the harmonic.

I have a much easier technique that I use quite a lot. I pic normally but rest the nail of the ring finger from my right hand on the string I'm playing. You can get them anywhere doing that.
Took me a bit of practise.

You have to find the right place ( where the harmonic is. ) to pick first. So if you want to do a pinch harmonic on the 12th fret, I just put my finger somewhere on the strings where I pick, using my index finger ( pressing down basically, or just muting it sortve. ) and then pick it, and if i hear a harmonic, thats where i do the pinch harmonic. But you begin to memorize where it is. The place is different for each fret.

To do the pinch harmonic, just hang your thumb over the edge of the pick and make sure it hits the string after you pick it. You'll get it.
Quote by HAVOC 51
I sometimes find it difficult to pinch the harmonic.

I have a much easier technique that I use quite a lot. I pic normally but rest the nail of the ring finger from my right hand on the string I'm playing. You can get them anywhere doing that.

does that work?
Marty
This might be a dumb question, but what the hell...I've looked at the lessons, and they all seem to be for an electric. (Unless I've missed something). Can you do a pinch harmonic on an acoustic?
"He has a woman's name and wears makeup. How original."
--Alice Cooper, on Marilyn Manson.
Yes, but they're usually very faint.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
I try to do pinch harmonics but they just come out as artificial or natural harmonics. Any tips?
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
Alot of lessons out there will tell you to do with your thumb.... choking up on the pick.. whatever...
I worked with that a while, and i never could get it right.
But i did understand the concept behind how the harmonic works..
With some creative thinking, i learnt it another way.
Say, fret the 2nd fret on the bass E string (my favorite place to do pinchies)
Pick the note, tap it with the tip of your middle finger, lightly. then vibrato really wide the note..
it takes some work. but thats how i learnt to do it.
another thing is finding the "sweet spots"
how i do that is, fret a note, and with your middle finger on your picking hand, place that on the string, and pick, sliding around until you hear the high pitched muted sound, thus you have found the sweet spot.
at least thats how i do it.
hope this helps
Happy Riffing
i ****in got it **** yeah, i finally can do pinch harmonics, i just twigged today, i do them without moving my finger and thumb up on the pick so theres a little bit of pick showing, thats to slow if you want to use them while playing, i just kind of andgle my hand and kinda pick down and towards the pickup if you know what i mean so that the string bounces out and hits my thumb and i can get em everytime this way, faveourite place is 2nd and 3rd fret on ow E and A is just sounds amazing when your doin a big heavy riff and you just pop one in and vibrato it or bend