Quick question...I'm playing a fender mexi fat strat through a Vox pathfinder 15 and a Boss MT-2..I like playing a lot of metal and don't get that good of a metal tone right now. I was wondering how I could improve this..should i stick a better humbucker in my strat, get a new amp..or what. I only have about a $250 budget
In my opinion you won't reall get a good metal tone from a guitar with single coils eg. strats/teles etc.

I think you would be better saving up for a better guitar, you've got the amp, you've got the pedal, the guitar itself is letting you down.
Get a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails, it's a Single Coiled Size Humbucker...and 250 bucks should cover even a gold cover for it lol.
dont bother getting a humbucker yet, because ur amp isnt made for metal either, so u wont see a big improvement.

u will see the biggest improvement with an amp upgrade.
yes, u can get a cube 30 amp. but maybe its time to step up a little more.

Randall has some really nice high gain amps.
save for a better amp, then swap out the bridge for a real humbucker, not a hot rails.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
dont bother getting a humbucker yet, because ur amp isnt made for metal either, so u wont see a big improvement.

u will see the biggest improvement with an amp upgrade.
yes, u can get a cube 30 amp. but maybe its time to step up a little more.

Randall has some really nice high gain amps.
save for a better amp, then swap out the bridge for a real humbucker, not a hot rails.

I was talking to a dude the other day at Guitar Center, he has a Mexican Made Fender Strat with a Seymour Duncan hot rails and it sounds EXACTLY like a humbucker, playing it through a B52 Stack made it sound better, but I think it will sound good, the harmonics on it sounded great, the hot Rails is a sick pickup for strats.
yeah ive got them. in my other strat. they arent the Exaclty same as full sized humbuckers. (u need the space between the two rows)
they sound like really hot singles and High treble at that.
most of the time ur better off with a stacked dimarzio in the middle and a full sized humbucker in the bridge.

but none of that means crap unless he upgrades his amp first anyway.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Well yeah I agree, I think he should get a Crate X65R, those things are pretty cheap and are nice IMO, so I guess he should try and upgrade his full rig, so save up and get some nicer gear, wise words JJ1565.
Strats aren't meant for metal. But that doesn't mean you can't make it a metal guitar. You should stick the the single coil sound and save up for a good guitar with humbuckers.
50W is usually the jump up to stage work. 30W is a push when ur talking solid state. at a 350 person room, ull need volume over 6 or 7 and at that volume on a SS, u get a lot of mud messing up ur tone.

cube 60. very nice high gain, portable, usable effects, speaker out, loud and pretty good modelling tone. $345.

i just looked up the high gain randalls they are around $550. blows ur budget and are much bigger than u need. check out the cube. see what u think.

and Eric666, if ur going to keep posting feel free to call me Jenny, everyone else does.
even though you and i seem have some different tastes, that's a good thing.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62