Ok, first off - i'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to customising guitars and need help with a new finish. Don't flame me

I'm going to buy a white strat type, and customise the paint job.

All i need to know is, can I just spray over the existing lacquered finish and add more lacquer - or do i need to take off the lacquer, spray and then re-lacquer everything??
Take it off, thats your best and safest bet.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by zekk
Take it off, thats your best and safest bet.

What do you mean by safest - would spraying onto the lacquer cause the colour to run, destroy the undercoat or cause the guitar to spontaneously combust??
Quote by gulliver
What do you mean by safest - would spraying onto the lacquer cause the colour to run, destroy the undercoat or cause the guitar to spontaneously combust??

Safest, as in thats the best way to get the color to stick and also not to make the finish to thick. A thick finish sounds ****ty, even if you use nitro.

Quote by zekk
Safest, as in thats the best way to get the color to stick and also not to make the finish to thick. A thick finish sounds ****ty, even if you use nitro.

F*** - I was hoping to be a lazy bastard and just spray over the top.

It would dampen the sound and probally would slide off and look so halfassed youd want to go hendrix on it and burn it.

fair enough - if i sand off the lacquer, should i re-paint the base coat as well, or if i'm careful sanding will it be ok?
Sand ALL of the paint, lacquer, color off. You want to see wood all around, and paint onto that. What is it finished in now, and what are you gonna finish it in? Poly or nitro?

Quote by zekk
Sand ALL of the paint, lacquer, color off. You want to see wood all around, and paint onto that. What is it finished in now, and what are you gonna finish it in? Poly or nitro?

I don't know what's it's finished in now- i've not bought it yet!!! I think I might just buy a DIY kit with an unfinished body - saves sanding the bastard down!!