Page 1 of 9
Alright, Well there have been a lot of Slide threads, about one every week, so lets just make an ONLY slide thread.

To start off, most general tunings for slide would be the open G (D G D G B D),
A (E A E A C# E), E (E B E G# B E), and D (D A D F# A D), just to get that out of the way

Great slide artists include Duane Allman (Tuned in open E for Statesboro Blues), Muddy Waters (Mostly Tuned In Open G), Elmore James, Warren Haynes, Derek Trucks (always in open E), Ry Cooder, Son House(Open G) and of course Robert Johnson

Remember this is the only slide thread, all other threads on this topic will be closed.

Discuss

PS: I edited in your guys posts
Last edited by ledhed68 at Sep 1, 2006,
We should recommend songs by tuning, perhaps?

For open E (E B E G# B E) Statesboro Blues by the Allman Brothers, Duane Allman on slide.

(p.s. ledhed, maybe you could edit all our responses into your top post? )
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Last edited by psychodelia at Sep 3, 2006,
Warren Haynes is a pretty good slider - He uses open tunings.

And lets not forget Derek Trucks when talkign about great sliders. Sure he's no Duane but he's still pretty great - He always plays in open E, always.
Phish Phan
Dead Head
moe. ron.
Phil's Friend
Lets not forget Ry Cooder, the man who trumps Duane.
How may The National D help you waste your time?
What? Explain, please, before my head explodes from the strangeness of your opinion.

By the way, if anyone has some links to slide guitar lessons, could they post them please?
Quote by psychodelia
(p.s. ledhed, maybe you could edit all our responses into your top post? )

Good plan. Just get a bit of info in the first post so people don't have an excuse to miss it.

Thanks for doing it ledhed
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by The National D
What? Explain, please, before my head explodes from the strangeness of your opinion.

By the way, if anyone has some links to slide guitar lessons, could they post them please?

Psht I just never liked his stuff.
Phish Phan
Dead Head
moe. ron.
Phil's Friend
How about The King of the Blues, Son House? He nearly always played in Open G. His most famous song, Death Letter Blues ise played in that tuning.
Encore God & Asomodai- UG JHS Brotherhood

Encore God: fighting UG Zeppelin-centrism since 2002.
I want to learn to play some slide. i haven't done anything other than mess around with it for half an hour (just before i got on the computer) so don't say anything too complicated.

right now the only cd's i have that might have some slide riffs on them are eric claptons 'me and mr johnson' (all robert johnson stuff, so if clapton doesn't use slide i could probably still use it anyway) and guns and roses 'live era 87-93' (i'm pretty sure the rocket queen solo uses slide) and maybe the very best of cream

anyway, could you either recomend songs off of those or recomend some good slide players. i already know about allman and trucks. but i also want to get some good technique going, and i heard srv is pretty good for that. does he ever use slide?

cheers.
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
Just listen to songs by the Allman Brothers like 'Dreams' and 'Statesboro Blues' and listen to the slide licks and use the ideas to play your own slide solos to the songs.

Anything off Derek Trucks' Soul Serenade album is great for sliding to.
Phish Phan
Dead Head
moe. ron.
Phil's Friend
Quote by pistols
I want to learn to play some slide. i haven't done anything other than mess around with it for half an hour (just before i got on the computer) so don't say anything too complicated.

right now the only cd's i have that might have some slide riffs on them are eric claptons 'me and mr johnson' (all robert johnson stuff, so if clapton doesn't use slide i could probably still use it anyway) and guns and roses 'live era 87-93' (i'm pretty sure the rocket queen solo uses slide) and maybe the very best of cream

anyway, could you either recomend songs off of those or recomend some good slide players. i already know about allman and trucks. but i also want to get some good technique going, and i heard srv is pretty good for that. does he ever use slide?

cheers.

in my time of dying by led zep is a great slide song (the first one i ever learned on slide) its cool and you can steal some licks + its standard tuning
Call me Jack
^ The version of In My Time of Dying that I know is in open A; I'm pretty sure it's not in standard. Good song though.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
What's the best way to mute? My instructional book says to use either the pick or thumb of the picking hand, but it seems easier for me to either lift the slide off the strings, or use my palm.
I use my thumb to mute the bass strings then the pointer finger for the G, middle finger for the B and ring for high E.

Then use those fingers to pick those strings and use the ones not being used to mute the strings you dont want to ring.
Phish Phan
Dead Head
moe. ron.
Phil's Friend
Quote by Kris_man
What's the best way to mute? My instructional book says to use either the pick or thumb of the picking hand, but it seems easier for me to either lift the slide off the strings, or use my palm.

I use my palm and the fingers on my right hand, the ones im not using to hold the pick, to mute, for example if im playing on the G string, i palm mute the E, A, and D string, and mute the B and high E with my fingers im not using in my right hand.
Quote by ZoSo.Led.Zep.
I use my thumb to mute the bass strings then the pointer finger for the G, middle finger for the B and ring for high E.

Then use those fingers to pick those strings and use the ones not being used to mute the strings you dont want to ring.

I generally do this, although I might move the fingers down a string when necessary.
can someone post a couple of tabs for me of simple slide riffs, that i don't need to hear a song to play? cheers
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
I am playing slide this weekend at a fair on the song hoochie coohie man.
GUITARS

Yamaha F-315A
Ibanez AX 125
Quote by ZoSo.Led.Zep.
Warren Haynes is a pretty good slider - He uses open tunings.

And lets not forget Derek Trucks when talkign about great sliders. Sure he's no Duane but he's still pretty great - He always plays in open E, always.

I have to be honest with you, I think he is the new Duane. He grew up on the road with them and basically became him.
Quote by distilledspirit
I have to be honest with you, I think he is the new Duane. He grew up on the road with them and basically became him.

He's different, but I wouldn't put him below Duane. Derek has a distinct style, and I think he does justice to songs Duane played on without being a copy. Great player.
hey guys..i just saw this video...and i have to learn to play this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJtmme6Raag

but i hear you guys say slide guitars are tuned in open E, i do not know how to tune in open E, i only tune by a korg tuner i have to the line gets on the green dot. i have been playing maybe 2 1/2 years. but i have never studied diff. tuning styles, if anyone could help me understand them to where i can make my axe sound like that i would be very gratful. thanx
"The guitar is just a wonderful instrument. It's everything: a bartender, a psychiatrist, a housewife. its everything, but it's elusive." -Les Paul
tuning to open E is E B E G# B E. That way, the open strings make an E major chord.

or if you don't wanna tune up then tune to D B D F# A D and capo it at the second fret.
Last edited by Mattefuller at Sep 8, 2006,
Quote by luttrell
you guys need to check out eric sardinas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBpa2CADNJA

That guys awesome.

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
**** hes sick
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

Can someone give me a detailed description of slide guitar? Thank you.
"Imagine all the people, sharing all the world"
-John Lennon
What do you mean Punk Rocker? A description of how to play it?
Can anyone tell me where to find some Ry Cooder slide playing other then Paris Texas, I'm hungry for more...
Quote by Mattefuller
tuning to open E is E B E G# B E. That way, the open strings make an E major chord.

or if you don't wanna tune up then tune to D B D F# A D and capo it at the second fret.

That would result in E C# E G# B E which is E6. The correct way would be to tune to open D, which is D A D F# A D and capo the second fret.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Hmm..well i checked the only tuning thread for how to tune to open d and i ended up screwing up my tuning and not sounding very slide bluesy. Any tips on how to do this? it said to fret one string here and make the other open string sound like that, its a bit confusing.
"The guitar is just a wonderful instrument. It's everything: a bartender, a psychiatrist, a housewife. its everything, but it's elusive." -Les Paul
Quote by strat_dude
Hmm..well i checked the only tuning thread for how to tune to open d and i ended up screwing up my tuning and not sounding very slide bluesy. Any tips on how to do this? it said to fret one string here and make the other open string sound like that, its a bit confusing.

No tuner? That would make things easier. If not, here;s how it's done:

Tune down E until your 7th fret matches the A string. Tune down G until it matches the 4th string of your D. Tune down B until it matches the 3rd fret of your G. (which is now Gb) Now tune down E until it match the 5th fret of you B. (now A)
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Last edited by ufossuck at Sep 15, 2006,
any hints on a slide guitar to purchase up to about AU$500? I'm currently playing on a cheap strat copy and the frets drag on my slide and it sounds really dodgy... some links would be great... thanks... If i were to go with resonator, metal body or wooden body?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" -Jimi Hendrix 1969
Metal body. Biscuit Cone. National. Brass body. All you need to know.
Quote by ~VoodooChild~
any hints on a slide guitar to purchase up to about AU$500? I'm currently playing on a cheap strat copy and the frets drag on my slide and it sounds really dodgy... some links would be great... thanks... If i were to go with resonator, metal body or wooden body?

If you're going for an electric, you'll want a hollow-body, an archtop would be best. I'd go with an Epiphone, maybe a Sheraton II or WildKat. If you want an acoustic, pretty well anything will work, but don't cheap out for the general reasons not to cheap out. If you're after a dobro, wooden body. Epiphone biscuits are very nice, but avoid Fender resonators, they're terrible.
Quote by ~VoodooChild~

Actually ANY guitar will work for slide if it is set up correctly. The frets dragging on the slide sounds, to me anyway, to be more a lack of technique than a "bad" guitar. A VERY LIGHT touch is a requirment. You DO NOT want to push down on the slide. Drag your finger behind the slide to dampen the overtones (i.e. if you use the ring finger for the slide drag your middle finger, etc).

IF you were to go resonator maybe look at a Johnson or other inexpensive metal body biscuit bridge guys. Those will work and you can upgrade with a spun cone instead of the stamped one they usually have.

Good luck.
Hey kids, i love my blues and jazz, and i'm very keen on learning slide guitar, i have a slide but no clue where to start with it, i'm an experianced player, could you please recomend me some good beginner slide guitar songs or point me in the right direction
Goo Goo G'Joob
Quote by Rb123
Actually ANY guitar will work for slide if it is set up correctly.

Provided it has steel strings. Nylon strings tend to produce a lot of noise with a slide.
does anyone know a good way to go about soloing with a slide over a song that is non blues? should i keep it in standard and just use the slide?
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
does anyone know a good way to go about soloing with a slide over a song that is non blues? should i keep it in standard and just use the slide?

a lot of it depends on your skill, and the song. Its very hard to solo in standard and use scales, at least for me, and keeping it clean, i tend to use open tunings though.