I've wanted to do this thread for a really long time and I'm looking forward to hearing the opinions on this.I want to know if you think Lynyrd Skynyrd is one of the greatest southern rock bands or if you'd say that they are one of the greatest rock bands ever period?I also want to know if you think it's fair that they're always put in the southern rock genre when alot of their sound and songs are very classic rock/hard rock with a slight southern blues/gospel twist?Personally I feel they should be counted among the greatest rock bands ever and I think it's very unfair that they're always put in the southern rock genre when their sound is more classic/hard rock than anything.Also to get something clear,when I speak of Lynyrd Skynyrd I am speaking of the old Lynyrd Skynyrd and the albums recorded before the plane crash.I think what Johnny Van Zant has done with the band(although I still love them and a handful of their new songs) is betraying what his brother and the others wanted.Johnny is focusing on appealing to the country audience when Skynyrd is just a kick ass straight up rock band who in the old days was admired my hippies and hard rockers alike.I can't wait to hear from some of ya.Have a good one! Edit:those of you who are going to base this answer on sweet home alabama need not reply!You true Skynyrd fans know who you are.
Last edited by drunk_rocker89 at Aug 31, 2006,
yeah, they're pretty kick ass
they are a great rock group. some of the lyrics, ie that smell, simple man, are pretty deep. i love that

off topic: once i was watching a commercial for a compilation Southern Rock cd and Golden Earring was on it. they're from Europe. not very southern
Last edited by jimmyjimjim at Aug 31, 2006,
they're in my top five, no doubt. but if you like them, why does it matter when genre they're in? but if i had to classify i'd say southern rock, which all melts into classic rock anyway...
***MEMBER OF THE WHO FAN CLUB***

*Founder of Teenage Wasteland Club*(working to inform the un-informed)

**Member #2 of the Windmillers Club**

**Alter Boy of Zeppelinism**

*9/08 THE WHO*
lol golden earing. ya id say that lynard skynard pretty much is the best southern rock. but ya they could be classic rock but some songs are prety freakin southern
do you mean he's betraying his brothers by playing country with donnie or what? didn't quite understand that. and i personally believe sweet home alabama is one of the worst songs lynyrd skynyrd did.

*9/08 THE WHO*
One fo the best bands period. No doubt.

But I do think most Southern Rock bands get overlooked way too often. Especially Molly Hatchet.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
i absolutely love Lynyrd Skynyrd, there music is simply amazing and i agree with you how when you talk about Lynyrd Skynyrd to musicly declined people they always think there hicks in a band. They have many rock songs which are not country, people hear lynyrd skynyrd and there always like Sweet Home Alabama, and im sick of that. im a huge lynyrd skynyrd fan. they have great songs that aren't country/hickish, like "The Ballad of Curtis Lowe" and "Call me the breeze"

I would also like to know why on just about ever lynyrd skynyrd article and website, and also greatest hits cd which i have there is no mention of the song "Tuesdays Gone" i don't know why.
I like them, cover a few of their songs. I prefer the Allman Brothers for southern rock, but Skynyrd's still good.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
do you mean he's betraying his brothers by playing country with donnie or what? didn't quite understand that. and i personally believe sweet home alabama is one of the worst songs lynyrd skynyrd did.
I'm not saying he's betraying his brothers by playing country with Donnie in Van Zant.I'm talking about Lynyrd Skynyrd today.It seems like they're catering to the country crowd when Ronnie and the REST of the band at that time wanted to just be a kick ass rock band.I have no problem with country fans listening to them or anyone for that matter,but it upsets me when the only time I see them on TV is on CMT.It also upsets me when everyone talks about them as a country rock band or something similar to that.Listen to the songs Needle and the Spoon,I need you,Gimme back my bullets,Cry for the Bad Man, and even free bird for that matter.Those songs and many others are straight up kick ass rock songs no matter what the genre.(i hate putting bands in genres...most are too unique to be catergorized to just one).It just seems as if Johnny is going where the money is with the songs they write and the crowds they play.He's trying to appeal to the good ole red white and blue,cheap beer drinking,gun shooting boys and girls of America.(by the way I'm from West Virginia and I do many of the things I just listed but I'm not a hick.)I just don't think the original goal of the band was to appeal to one group.It was music for everybody and they definately wouldn't have catered to one crowd because that's where the loot is.
betrayal, no. cashing in, to a certain degree. skynyrd has never been the same since the plane crash, but neither have any band who's lost someone. i seen them live two or three summers ago and it was amazing.

*9/08 THE WHO*
Lynard skynard is one of the greatest bands ever..southern rock yeah but still classic rock..in my opinion it was just rock with a heavy heavy blues influence. their lead work was hypnotic, the first solo on that smell always gives me chills. their lyrics beautiful, its a shame people automaticlly judge them by sweet home alabama when they have other great songs as well, tuesdays gone is one of the most powerful songs i have ever heard.
"The guitar is just a wonderful instrument. It's everything: a bartender, a psychiatrist, a housewife. its everything, but it's elusive." -Les Paul
I wouldn't say that they're one of the greatest bands ever, but I certainly wouldn't limit them to just being a great southern rock band. I like a lot of their music, especially Gimme Three Steps.

Edit: ^^Yeah I forgot Tuesdays Gone. Another great song!
Stevie Y of the GO WINGS club. PM me with a title to join.

The following statement is false. The preceding statement is true.

Member #20 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.
Tuesday's Gone is on Gold&Platinum, for the person who said it wasnt on any greatist hits cd's.

Anyway, when my mom asked me what kind of band they were when she overheard me listening to them, i told her southern rock. A lot of the t shirts on theyre website say southern rock and stuff, but they could easily fit into the classic rock genre.

Some of the more southern rock songs are: Down South Jukin', You Got That Right, I Know a Little, and Sweet Home Alabama. But when you look at other songs like Saturday Night Special, Gimme Back My Bullets, I Aint The One, and On The Hunt, they just sound like rock songs.
Quote by AC/DC10

Some of the more southern rock songs are: Down South Jukin', You Got That Right, I Know a Little, and Sweet Home Alabama. But when you look at other songs like Saturday Night Special, Gimme Back My Bullets, I Aint The One, and On The Hunt, they just sound like rock songs.

Don't forget "Things Goin' On." Now that is a redneck-sounding song.

At the same time, though, I believe that the term "southern rock" has less to do with the sound and more with the lyrics to any song. Hence the reason why (at least to me) bands like Skynyrd are just basically another classic rock band.

Jacques
Why wouldn't they be considered one of the greatest classic rock bands though? They've got so many songs(very cliche songs) but still great songs none the less.They have to be great to become icons and as cliche as they are.Sweet Home Alabama,Freebird,Tuesday's Gone, and that's just to name a few that are radio staples.I'll leave it at this...what do you hear the old drunk guy yelling at ANY concert? FREEBIRD! WOOHOOO!
If that question was directed at me, I do believe them to be one of the greatest classic rock bands... my wording was misleading, I should have said "just another great classic rock band" or something like that. I just think that the fact that they're considered to be a southern rock band doesn't differentiate them from "normal" classic rock.

Jacques
It wasn't directed at you.It was to kshelt.They're solid musically,they do a great live show,record well in the studio, and they are very creative and original.They also have a huge fanbase but why aren't they considered one of the greatest bands?Someone please help me understand this.
Lynyrd Skynyrd is no doubt a great band. They do get overlooked alot being in the southern rock Group. Some of there songs are a little country-ish...but still great classic rock. I think they should be considered classic rock. If anyone should be put into the greatest southern rock band it should be grateful dead...R.I.P Jerry Garcia.
But skynyrd is pure Classic Rock. PeaceOut.
R.I.P Jerry Garcia (1945)-(1995)

In the winter of '65 we were hungry, just barely alive.

Confederate
Quote by drunk_rocker89
I've wanted to do this thread for a really long time and I'm looking forward to hearing the opinions on this.I want to know if you think Lynyrd Skynyrd is one of the greatest southern rock bands or if you'd say that they are one of the greatest rock bands ever period?I also want to know if you think it's fair that they're always put in the southern rock genre when alot of their sound and songs are very classic rock/hard rock with a slight southern blues/gospel twist?Personally I feel they should be counted among the greatest rock bands ever and I think it's very unfair that they're always put in the southern rock genre when their sound is more classic/hard rock than anything.Also to get something clear,when I speak of Lynyrd Skynyrd I am speaking of the old Lynyrd Skynyrd and the albums recorded before the plane crash.I think what Johnny Van Zant has done with the band(although I still love them and a handful of their new songs) is betraying what his brother and the others wanted.Johnny is focusing on appealing to the country audience when Skynyrd is just a kick ass straight up rock band who in the old days was admired my hippies and hard rockers alike.I can't wait to hear from some of ya.Have a good one! Edit:those of you who are going to base this answer on sweet home alabama need not reply!You true Skynyrd fans know who you are.

I think they are the best of their genre and one of the best and most influential bands of all time. I actually do think they should be put in the Southern Rock category because even though they can have a hard rock sound at times they still do touch back on their Southern roots. I agree with you about what you said about Johnny Van Zant and the current band but I still think they rock. 'Twas a terrible tragedy and they'll be greatly missed and I tihnk this is the least his brother could do to keep Skynyrd alive.
I think Skynyrd is one of the greatest Rock & Roll bands ever. And I think they are the epitamy of Southern Rock. In fact I believe the "genre" name was created FOR them.
As far Johnny ruining the bands direction or betraying it's purpose, I TOTALLY disagree.
1st. Johnny is not the band leader. If anyone is now days, I'd say it's Gary.
AFter the 1977 Plane crash, it was pretty much decided that Lynyrd Skynyrd would be no more. How COULD they go on without the Heart & Soul of the band that Ronnie was? But after the "Rossington/Collins Band wasn't as successfull as hoped, Largely due to lack of songwriting ability. Plus Allen had his crippling car wreck. Gary was instrumental in reforming Skynyrd w/Johnny to replace Ronnie, and giving it another shot. He knew that he and the other survivors were best at ONE thing. LYNYRD SKYNYRD MUSIC. And the fans overwhelmingly approved.
2nd. Johnny hasn't betrayed anything. He is a godsend to old original Skynyrd fans. Without him there would be no present day Lynyrd Skynyrd. No one could really replace Ronnie. But Johnny is as close as we could hope to come. He's Ronnies brother, so he has roots. He LOOKS and SOUNDS alot like Ronnie. He himself was very aprehensive about attempting to fill his brothers shoes when he was ASKED to. I think he's done a FINE job and that Ronnie would approve also.
As for going country, that's where their fan base is. Face it, modern country music is more like Classic (southern) Rock than Metal, Rap, Hiphop or any of the other genres we have today. Sure there are some younger fans. But their old 1970's fans aren't listening to modern rock radio. And I don't think they've changed direction. Sure, they're missing Ronnie's songwriting genius. But I don't believe they've changed their stripes. THey're still doing Southern Rock. It's just being marketed in a different place. And if you ever watch CMT, you may notice that Skynyrd aren't the only Classic Rockers there. Bon Jovi, Neil Young and Bret Micheals of Poison are often seen there. As well as a few others.
Last edited by EL Conquestidor at Sep 9, 2006,
They are definately in the ranks of the most talented songwriters and musicians. One of the best rock bands period. I believe the Allman Brothers Band are the best Southern Rock band.
Just listen to a little song called "Soulshine" and you'll see what im saying.
I didn't think we would ever make enough money to pay rent by playing music.
-Gregg Allman

*Insert sarcastic, ego-boosting quote here*
skynyrd is a great band, they really are the voice for the working class of Southern america. but its really no argument

allman brother > skynyrd

get Eat a Peace and the Fillmore album, and try to argue that point.while skynyrd is more classic rock influenced, the allmans take more from blues and jazz.
I like both the Allman Brothers and Skynyrd. But in the 70's it wasn't even close. The AB's were very popular, but Skynyrd was ON TOP in '76 &'77. Thier only real competitor for #1 was Led Zeppilin.
Personal opinons may vary, but historically speaking, Skynyrd kicked the AB's ass.
Quote by ~AdNy

get Eat a Peace and the Fillmore album, and try to argue that point.while skynyrd is more classic rock influenced, the allmans take more from blues and jazz.

I'm not debating the fact that the Allmans (awesome group, btw) are influenced by blues and jazz, but how on earth can you not say the same for Skynyrd? There wasn't exactly much more to be influenced by than blues or jazz before 1973... (that comment is simply for argument's sake. I know it's technically not true.)

Jacques
At first, I had a really hard time remembering how to spell his name.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Quote by EL Conquestidor
That's funny. I've had a similiar delemma w/Pink Floyd. BTW, which one IS Pink? ;oD

Sad thing is, there are people who seriously ask that question. And my dad still believes that Skynyrd is just one person.
Stevie Y of the GO WINGS club. PM me with a title to join.

The following statement is false. The preceding statement is true.

Member #20 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.