So my band just got together a little less than a month ago, and all things considered it's going daaamn good. We've got an 8 song set about half of which the band has and the rest we're gonna be learning throughout the month. We kind of got pushed into this one gig on Sep. 30th that a friend's mom is in charge of, and turns out we'll be playing a show for the school the night before. Now assuming we only have a month left and still have a couple songs to write, have to teach everyone what we have, and get everything down tight, we have a loooottttt of work to do.

But we're pretty much commited to both of these shows, so I was wondering what's the best way to make the most out of our practice time. Since everyone lives so scattered out we can only practice on Saturday's, but we have from 1pm-12pm so we have alot of time to work with. The only problem is we usually have alot of interruptions.. ranging from friends showing up, to band members wanting to just chill, to whatever else may come up. I don't really know what I'm asking, other than how to make better use of our practice time, and how to prepare everyone for a gig in a month after we just became a band. Thanks for ne advice.
I step up to da mic. Bust a rhyme about my hoes, tippin' on fo' fo's.. and someone shoots me in the face. Because rap is stupid.

Quote by Laces Out Danny
YOU ARE the PIT!!!
well to be honest keep the practise private unless you wanna show some1 something, that means no friends. Keep alchohol to a minimum and bing in all the food and drink you need. Work on one song at a time until each song is nearly done. Having set breaks may also help. Also make sure the band has an early night before.
12 am.. my bad lol.
I step up to da mic. Bust a rhyme about my hoes, tippin' on fo' fo's.. and someone shoots me in the face. Because rap is stupid.

Quote by Laces Out Danny
YOU ARE the PIT!!!
Quote by DeliriumTrigger
You have 23 hour practices?

Pretty dedicated
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
make your practices longer . Seriously ,an hour?

dude i make that 11 eleven hours...
.. as do I.. but anyways.. besides comments on how long we practice, any constructive ideas for anything else?

Quote by Laces Out Danny
YOU ARE the PIT!!!
Hey, it's a month out and you're in panic mode? That's a good sign. It usually hits me with two weeks to go or so.

Long practices are tough, but they'll make you and you band much better musicians. Here are some of the things we do for practice:

-Have a set list. We treat each practice like a mini-gig and e-mail a set list the day before. Ususally we know what needs work, even before the list comes out. Stick to the list mostly. Things come up, but don't wander off the list in mid-song unless there's a part that somebody needs to work out on their own. At that point, drop the song for the current practice session and move on.

-Come prepared. Rehearsals are not the place to learn the solo. You do that on your own time.

-We make up "cue cards" with the chord progressions, notation for solo breaks, and notes on funky stuff like intros and outros. So if you forget where the song goes next, a glance at the cue card keeps ya going. They're a great refresher, and usually enough info to play through the whole song if you sorta know it anyway. It saves breaking down in the middle of a song because somebody forgot what chord comes after the C7...

-Take breaks, but treat it like a gig. We break for 15 minutes every 60-90 minutes or so. You might want a longer break in the middle of your 11 hour marathon. If there's a part (like a vocal harmony) to be worked out, let the folks who aren't involved in it sit down and rest during that part.

Sometimes just two of us will get together outside of practice to work things out that the rest of the band doesn't need to know. That way you don't have to have the whole band together to make progress.

--Triage. Get the song structure down solidly before worrying about the flash. People really don't care whether you're great - they just want you to not suck. Only the other musicians out there appreciate musicianship. The rest of the people are just looking for a good time. Build up from the basics.

Good luck. Hope you knock 'em dead!
what he said ^
My stuff
Fender Telecaster Aerodyne Series
Gibson 1980 Les Paul Standard
Fender Standard Strat
Taylor 414-ce
Takamine Acoustic
1938 Gibson Lap Steel (priceless)
Fender Blues Junior
USA Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Fab Overdrive

My band
hey, just think of me, im singing for a band saturday, they have most of their music down, still a few songs to perfect, and im jamming tomorrow with them for the time, its a battle of the bands too

shall be interesting...
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.