Its known that strats have less sustain compared to les pauls and sg's and such. I can understand a les paul because It has a big heavy body. But what about sg's?
fat strats and sg's seem to have approximately the same body mass. Whats the deal with that?
Minister of Zeppelinism, PM TheHeartBreaker to join
#6 member of the oasis fan club
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
'89 fender american strat
Vox ad15vt
Peavey raptor plus EXP(bridge: alnico 2 pro)
yamaha f-310p
the set in neck is the difference not the weight (well not ENTIRELY)
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
I see. Alright then.
Vox ad15vt
yamaha f-310p
Quote by metal_man12
maybe different wood. the sgs are way lighter then strats.

What the hell kinda strat are you using? The SG is way more top heavy and heavy in general than any strat I've ever played.
influence:

neck joint>body mass> body wood

EDIT and yes a strat is about five pounds a sg is 7 +
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
There are many many many things that go into sustain, generally speaking though, the SG's set neck, tune-o-matic bridge, mahogany body, and angled headstock make the SG a sustain machine. Check out Gary Moore for more info.
Oh btw were talking epiphone g400 here.
Vox ad15vt
yamaha f-310p
It's the type of wood it's made out of. The bridges are different, and that also contributes to the variance in sustain levels. I've found that most Strat bridges are total ****, but every Gibson bridge i've sampled has excellent sustain. As per mentioned, the set-in and thru-necks also contribute.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
sustain = Gibson Les Paul Studio (mahogany finish) Wowza...
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
Quote by Oneordinarylife
What the hell kinda strat are you using? The SG is way more top heavy and heavy in general than any strat I've ever played.

My dad had an SG back in the 60's and he says its the lightest guitar he has ever played...he has owned many many guitars too
Quote by flyingjew34
Practice Practice Practice man. You can't get better at anything without practice. Oh, and mustard too.

I play like I'm breaking out of jail.

--Stevie Ray Vaughan
Bolt on neck and Set in neck in sustain wise is very much disputable though go to neck thru that would win in sustain wise. no why would the LES PAUL have more SUSTAIN then the STRAT the wood density, the bridge (hardtail more contact with wood=more sustain), the angle of the headstock means no string trees are required.
Last edited by azn_guitarist25 at Sep 1, 2006,
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Bolt on neck and Set in neck in sustain wise is very much disputable though go to neck thru that would win in sustain wise. no why would the LES PAUL have more SUSTAIN then the STRAT the wood density, the bridge (hardtail more contact with wood=more sustain), the angle of the headstock means no strings are required.

He's right. A properly and well done bolt-on easily rivals a set-neck.
Set neck and bolt on -- I don't think the difference is even worth arguing about.
A Neck Thru is noticably different.

"Be carefull what you ask for ... " Neck Thru's are great, but it's a 2 edged sword.
Both of my Alembics are neck thrus. A note will ring forever. But, with any kind
of distortion on, if I hit the high E my low strings will quickly start vibrating too.
So they can actually be more challenging to play with distortion on without excess
noise.
the flat top on an SG robs sustain b/c the more wood you have near the strings the more sound waves are absorbed into the wood, an arch top guitar only soaks up soundwaves under the strings between the pups on a Paul while the curved top lets soundwaves roll off the edges.
yeh just buy a sustainer and replace your neck pup for it and there infinite sustain easiest thing to do
If you didn't want to ruin the amazing neck position tone with a sustainer could you get similar results with an E-Bow?
Ibanez RG3270M Prestige
Gibson SG Standard
Fender Mexican Strat w/ Kinman Woodstock Pickups

Vox Valvetronix AD120VTX (soon to be a Peavey 6505)

Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Dime Cry Baby From Hell
yeh from what ive heard you can. though you can get more versatility with the sustainec system for sustain than with an E-Bow