So I've decided to make a solid body guitar for my isu in tech class heh . I'm gonna try goin out and buying a book on how to do that. I got a few questions tho.

NEW: I am gonna make a 36 fret guitar for sure now

On estimate, how much is going to be buying all of the parts, besides the wood, using the most least expensive parts, in $Canadian? I'm guessing around 100-120

EDIT: Should I make one with a floyd rose or a normal strat style bridge? I know the floyd rose would be a whole lot more money and make it way more confusing, although I want a floyd rose because I only have a strat style bridge with a tremolo bar that can only go down

Also, which wood for the body and neck is good for a fast, thin, non-warping 36 fret neck and which wood for the body would be good for playing metal? I'm leaning towards alder, and ebony or rosewood for the neck.
Larrivée D-03R
US Fender Telecaster, Vox AC15
Last edited by mEtAlORc at Sep 3, 2006,
lol. i imagine if you want a decent guitar it will be more.

pups- 120

tuners-40

wiring-30

bridge-30

misc parts 45

and that is cheap dude. dont piece together a piece of **** guitar dude- its worthless. spen the money and make it decent, or buy a squire
lol hes right..and if you do decide to build a guitar...why not build one thats playable, that way you get good grades and a new guitar
BURY YOUR DEADALIVE!
If its a school project and its something you dont care about..u can get it cheap enugh. Strat copy bridges are like 15-20 bucks...cheap set of pups should be same price..tuners should be cheap...and so on
Quote by tongue untied
lol. i imagine if you want a decent guitar it will be more.

pups- 120

tuners-40

wiring-30

bridge-30

misc parts 45

and that is cheap dude. dont piece together a piece of **** guitar dude- its worthless. spen the money and make it decent, or buy a squire

which pups and material are you recommending?

oh and i put an edit in my intro post about a floyd rose
Larrivée D-03R
good floyds are like 200 bucks off stewmac.com....strat copies are like 20
BURY YOUR DEADALIVE!
Quote by travis__002
good floyds are like 200 bucks off stewmac.com....strat copies are like 20

i'll check that out and what should i use or where should i get fret wire and a truss rod?
Also how do I hammer on the fret wire, do i hammer it onto the fretboard slots with glue?
Larrivée D-03R
Quote by mEtAlORc
i'll check that out and what should i use or where should i get fret wire and a truss rod?
Also how do I hammer on the fret wire, do i hammer it onto the fretboard slots with glue?

Not sure if you've modded/upgraded guitars, but before I did, I read and re-read tons of how-to websites and the various threads here. Not sure how much research you've done based on your posts above; however, I found the following site very helpful:

Project Guitar: If you can't find your answers there, you can ask the forum

Good Luck
sounds cool

but WTF DOES GUITAR/GUITAR BUILDING HAVE TO DO WITH TECH???!?!??!

anywho i'm a canuck too

go canada
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
for a good floyd rose add 125-200 bucsk to the price

and pups i can get most dimarzi/seymour duncan off ebay for 60-70 bucks- so 2 of those is 120-140

tuners- grovers n shaller are aroun d40-60

your standard pots, switches, and caps will cost abou t30 off stewmac if you get allt eh knobs as well

misc parts such as straplocks, string trees, screws, bolts, n what not add up quickly
Quote by seek_&_destroy
sounds cool

but WTF DOES GUITAR/GUITAR BUILDING HAVE TO DO WITH TECH???!?!??!

anywho i'm a canuck too

go canada

its tech class. a.k.a wood shop. a.k.a Design Technology Class or so they call it
Larrivée D-03R
Quote by mEtAlORc

NEW: I am gonna make a 36 fret guitar for sure now

Unless ur michael angelo batio wat are u going to do with 36 frets?
Wouldn't be better to do something a little more practical or dare i say.... Easier

Just being blunt and straightforward that's all
Quote by iHeart_LesPauls
Wouldn't be better to do something a little more practical or dare i say.... Easier

That's exactly what I thought when I read this. You can do whatever you want to do buy I never even use all of my frets let alone 36. That is just me though.
The Don of the UG Mafia, PM me to join the family.

General of the Rage Against the Myspace Club, PM me to enlist.

Member #2 of the 'Shut the fuck up and respect other people's music' Club.' PM TheGospelOfRob to join.
Quote by iHeart_LesPauls

Tapping? and to just own a 36 fret is uncommon lol
Larrivée D-03R
yes true, you can say I HAVE 36 FRETS!

I would see it as pointless for me as my finger wouldn't fit in a fret any higher than number 24 lol
Quote by goobs
36 frets? ur a madman. but do it anyway and send me pics:P

yes I WILL post pics once isu time has come
Larrivée D-03R
whats the point in having 36 frets ? will u even use theem ?
Quote by JFJH
whats the point in having 36 frets ? will u even use theem ?

tapping purposes :P new notes accompany new tapping possibilities
Larrivée D-03R
Quote by jcwear
goodness me... i still think it's overkill... why not add another high A string?

high A String?
Larrivée D-03R
Don't worry... I was thinking of something outrageous like a 7 string guitar, with the "extra" string being at the top at the pitch of a very high A. That would intresting.

Although 36 frets might be easier (!?) than doing something like this. Lol.
Quote by jcwear
Don't worry... I was thinking of something outrageous like a 7 string guitar, with the "extra" string being at the top at the pitch of a very high A. That would intresting.

Although 36 frets might be easier (!?) than doing something like this. Lol.

a 7 string and 36 frets... hmm im thinkin about that
Larrivée D-03R
Quote by mEtAlORc
a 7 string and 36 frets... hmm im thinkin about that

You totally missed the point... He was saying a 7 INSTEAD of a 36 frets. And I'm suprised your going to try a 36 fret on your 1st guitar, I'm sure it will go horribly wrong.
lok if your gonna put 36 frets on there you might want to change the strat's body shape with a bigger cuttaway to accomoadate all the extra frets, also good luck! gibson once told Iommi a 24 fretter couldn't be done and look where we are now!. although you will probably only be able to fit a bridge and possibly a middle pickup on there. it might be an idea to have an extended scale lenght tbh if you don't want either modification i just mentioned.
I htink this is an awesome idea, I'd love to own one like that (mainly for novelt purposes) it'd be great to tap with too, post pics to show us how you go
yep he's right someone has made a 36 fretter before, well good luck then i gues, when will you start building it ?
IMO the 36 six frets would only be usefull if its a baritone guitar , so you could tune it to a extremely low note and use a capo if you are goind for a standard tuning

btw, the extra 12 frets would be bigger than the first or smaller than the last
Quote by JFJH
yep he's right someone has made a 36 fretter before, well good luck then i gues, when will you start building it ?

im gonna start building it in about 3 weeks. im definite on the 7 string idea, im just thinking how many frets.. in a range from 25-36.. still don't know how many
Larrivée D-03R
36 really is overkill. Slotting your fretboard will be absolute hell. If you still really want to do it, go for a huge scale length and a huge neck. At 28", the final frets will be 5mm apart and the fretboard will be 625mm long, which is pretty big
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
36 wld be cool but very impracticle plus the neck wld have to be real thick or it wld snap like nothing. Also the horns on the body wld have to be huge or else the guitar wld be pointing to the floor when u put it on. However if this is jst gonna be stuck on a wall go for it!! oterwise stay as close to the 25 fret number as posible and for ur seventh string get some of the harmonisng wire off of a 12 string.
Quote by roxhead99
36 wld be cool but very impracticle plus the neck wld have to be real thick or it wld snap like nothing. Also the horns on the body wld have to be huge or else the guitar wld be pointing to the floor when u put it on. However if this is jst gonna be stuck on a wall go for it!! oterwise stay as close to the 25 fret number as posible and for ur seventh string get some of the harmonisng wire off of a 12 string.

have u seen 36 fret guitars? their necks run along on top of the body for the last 15 odd frets so basically a pickup is sacrificed. but the entire guitr length from nut to bridge is the same.

7 string with an extra high string would be way more awesome.
Marty