Did you file the frets down yourself, or did you pay someone in a shop to do it?
If you paid for it, how much did it cost and how did it affect your playing (slides easier, play faster, anything else)? Thanks a lot for looking at this, I'm debating finding out if I should get the frets on my guitar filed down.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
yeah, i know i need it done, but i jsut dont have the money, if you find anything out could u pm it to me?
METAL
my friend did it. it was fine...depends if ur bridge can be lowered easily tho...dont recommend it id u dont have a floating tremelo
Quote by Gregray88
my friend did it. it was fine...depends if ur bridge can be lowered easily tho...dont recommend it id u dont have a floating tremelo

Out of curiosity, what does the bridge have to do w/ filing down frets? No offense mean, but I'm curious.

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
you can lower the bridge so you don't have to press the strings as far down, faster playing
Gear:
Hagstrom Viking cherry
Crate B15 bass amp
Squier SQ MB-5 5-String Bass
Epi Valve Junior head
Russian Muff
FAB Chorus

I HAVE THE RED PUBIS
Thanks, tongue untied and dustinrhocks4, I should've realized that.

filing the frets down will only remove MAYBE half a mm from the height, so most people would not even notice it. Considering you only need to file them down to the lowest wear point, then the action in this area wont even change at all...

Any bridge (not just floyd) will be able to accomodate that much adjustment, even accoustic saddles.

The frets will feel like new (or better), easier bends, better intonation, better sustain (no flat top to dampen vibration), etc etc.

Its not just a case of filing down the frets, you need to set the neck up properly, file them down with a high degree of precision (not just hack at it), then recrown, remove the file marks, smooth the ends and buff. To do it properly, with good tools (files) you'll need to spend more than it costs to get the job done... twice!

Prices, i charge $90-170 aussie dollars. The US repairers i chat with charge a simular fee but in US dollars (90-170 US).

I would not recommend you try doing it without expert supervision. You MIGHT get it right first time, but you probably wont, and end up spending a lot more on a refret....

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Last edited by ormsby guitars at Sep 1, 2006,