So, I can do barre chords;- F, B, Bb, Bbm, etc, but I'm having a weird problem with learning the piece "Romanza."

I didn't post this in the classical forum, because I guess it's a noob question. I can play the first measures at full speed, but when I need to bar the chords, there's always a dead string.

This is no matter if I turn my finger slightly to the side and then press down, press straight down, or where and how far I position my finger away from the fret bar.

I can press down till my finger turns white, then purple, but at least one of the strings always seems to find its way into that little crease of skin between the bones on my pointer finger and not get fretted.

I'm no stranger to moveable chords, but this is weird and frustrating.

Is there something I'm missing when trying to fret straight across and not play a chord?

Or is the action on my guitar too high? I'm playing this on a full-sized dreadnought acoustic with thick Elixirs.
Quote by myereadbik
So, I can do barre chords;- F, B, Bb, Bbm, etc, but I'm having a weird problem with learning the piece "Romanza."

I didn't post this in the classical forum, because I guess it's a noob question. I can play the first measures at full speed, but when I need to bar the chords, there's always a dead string.

This is no matter if I turn my finger slightly to the side and then press down, press straight down, or where and how far I position my finger away from the fret bar.

I can press down till my finger turns white, then purple, but at least one of the strings always seems to find its way into that little crease of skin between the bones on my pointer finger and not get fretted.

I'm no stranger to moveable chords, but this is weird and frustrating.

Is there something I'm missing when trying to fret straight across and not play a chord?

Or is the action on my guitar too high? I'm playing this on a full-sized dreadnought acoustic with thick Elixirs.

Hmm, well, playing on accoustic and having full chords ring out perfectly can get to be challenging. The only thing I can think of that's happening is that the string is making it's way into the crevace in that finger. In which case, you are going to have to push down on that finger harder than the others, OR curl that finger slightly(I.E., take some pressure off of the tip of that finger and put it on the crevace). If you have ever done sweep-picking then you should know what I mean when it comes to the curling the finger part. Otherwise, I dont know what's wrong.
th same thing used to happen to me,only pain an persistence got me through, im pretty sure it took me about 9 months before i could play a barre chord loud an clean, get lighter strings,go for 10,s ....