yo,
i have recently put new strings on ( about a week ago) and there starting to lose their shine, well to be honest there isnt any shine. is it time for a change
No, strings will dull over time (sometimes quickly).

Do they feel crappy to play or do they feel the same as when you put them on?
I change mine every 3-4 weeks.

As long as they feel fine and sound fine, then there is no need to change them.
Yup. Even though theyre just a week old man I would change them. Nothing sounds/feels better than fresh strings! A few things you can do to make your strings last many times longer:

Wash your hands (your fretting fingers really well) before you play. This will also keep the back of your neck clean, smooth, and fast.

After you play wipe down your neck with a LIGHTLY moist (with water) rag. Like really lightly moist...to the point its almost dry.

Then apply a good string/neck conditioner after a good long practice/jam/gig.

Ive started doing this everytime I even pick up my 3 guitars that I play the most. I started a couple months back and I tell ya it makes all the difference in the world. Now instead of having to just deal with a sticky neck, dirty sticky strings that lost their sound, and nasty fretboards...as soon as I pick up my axe its clean and slick and fast and ready to go! If you think about it...it only takes like 30 seconds to wash your hands, 10 seconds to wipe down your neck really well, and like 10 seconds to use a good string conditioner...its not all that much of a hassle..
Quote by kurdtkobaign
Yup. Even though theyre just a week old man I would change them. Nothing sounds/feels better than fresh strings! A few things you can do to make your strings last many times longer:

Wash your hands (your fretting fingers really well) before you play. This will also keep the back of your neck clean, smooth, and fast.

After you play wipe down your neck with a LIGHTLY moist (with water) rag. Like really lightly moist...to the point its almost dry.

Then apply a good string/neck conditioner after a good long practice/jam/gig.

Ive started doing this everytime I even pick up my 3 guitars that I play the most. I started a couple months back and I tell ya it makes all the difference in the world. Now instead of having to just deal with a sticky neck, dirty sticky strings that lost their sound, and nasty fretboards...as soon as I pick up my axe its clean and slick and fast and ready to go! If you think about it...it only takes like 30 seconds to wash your hands, 10 seconds to wipe down your neck really well, and like 10 seconds to use a good string conditioner...its not all that much of a hassle..

nah stuff that man because when i play my hands seem to sweat alot so there isnt really any point for me
Quote by striker327
nah stuff that man because when i play my hands seem to sweat alot so there isnt really any point for me

how is there no point for you? if your hands sweat a lot then theres MORE need for you to take extra care of your strings/neck.

gah at least wipe down your strings and neck with a good polishing cloth or something after you play...
Quote by striker327

dude, you wipe your guitar down after you play. If you sweat a lot you shoudl be donig this more often than most so you can keep it clean so when you pick it up next time, its good to go.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Yeah, just keep an ear out for the sound. Like everyone said, if it sounds bad then change it, unless you're just a casual player who doesn't really care if they sound a little bad. But a good tip if you have sweaty palms is to wash your hands with dishwashing soap. I'll tell you, that stuff dries my hand out. But then again, my hands are usual kind of dry to begin with.
as soon as i start playing they sweat, so i dont think that would help, but i usually change them when one string breaks
hey also i would like to ask a question, does anybody have any idea why kids these days dont like rock n roll , blues etc.... they more prefer rap, i meen i cant find anyone that likes stevie ray vaughan
Quote by striker327
hey also i would like to ask a question, does anybody have any idea why kids these days dont like rock n roll , blues etc.... they more prefer rap, i meen i cant find anyone that likes stevie ray vaughan

make a thread in the Pit then...